Tilapia recipes?

Options
carpediem3
carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
I am all about trying new things, even if it means eating seafood in which I've gagged over since growing up on the coast of Maine.

Are you thinking - "WHAT?! From a seafood state and you don't like seafood?" Yup, thats right, I said it. Yuck!

With both of those things in mind, does anyone have any good recipes for fresh tilapia? I was told it doesn't have a "fishy" taste per se so I thought I'd pick some up at the market today. I have no clue on what to do with it. Fry it? Broil it? Bake it?

Help!

Replies

• nkfowler74
    nkfowler74 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a simple yet tasty Tilapia recipe that my husband and I enjoy:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Baked-Tilapia/Detail.aspx
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I found 78 recipes on www.allrecipes.com (specific link below).

I think the good thing about tilapia is that it really takes the taste of whatever you cook it with. So, I would cook it in way that you like. So, for me, I do a few recipes including: blackened, grilled, and marinated in lemon juice.

I really think you can do just about anything with it. We have done the almond-encrusted, baked, etc.

Good Luck!!!

---Carter

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx?WithTerm=&SearchIn=All&Wanted1=tilapia
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
  • dogluvr73
    dogluvr73 Posts: 17
    Options
    I usually buy that or frozen cod but yesterday I made tilapia with veggies and all I do is bake it add sprinkle it with pepper I don't care for fish that is breaded not because of calories but because I don't like any meat breaded.. Sorry Im not much of a seafood eater so thats the best I can offer you
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    We grill talapia. Spray the fish basket w/ nonstick spray or can't believe it's not butter spray. Lemon pepper or lime pepper or salt and pepper lemon or lime juice and zest. Spray tops with can't believe it's not butter spray. Grill about 5 minutes, they flake and turn white. I don't flip them. My husband hates fish but eats this. Will be making this tonight!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I grill, bake and broil my tilapia.

There are normally directions on the package, but basically you just need to wait until it flakes when pierced with a fork.

I also love to make baked fishsticks out of mine! :smile:
  • melissaNY
    Options
    I am the same, just found this recipe and made it last night , IT WAS GREAT !!!
    Creamy Parmesan Broiled Tilapia
    Ingredients
    2 Tilapia Fillets (5oz to 6oz each - if frozen, be sure to thaw fully before cooking)
    2 teaspoons Light Mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons Non-Fat Plain Yogurt
    4 Tablespoons Shredded Parmesan Cheese
    2 to 4 sprigs of fresh Dill
    1 tsp Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt, divided
    Black Pepper (use as much or as little as you like)
    Non-Stick Cooking Spray

Directions
    Makes 2 servings, 5oz-6oz depending on size of fillets.

1. Place Mayonnaise, Yogurt and Parmesan Cheese in a small bowl, mix with a spoon until well combined.

2. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum and spray with Non-Stick Cooking Spray of your choice.

3. Set oven to Broil on High (if you have that option)

4. Place Tilapia fillets onto cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.

5. Divide the Cheese mixture and spread half onto each fillet with a spoon, using the back of the spoon to distribute evenly over fish.

6. Rub dill between your fingers to separate and sprinkle 1 to 2 sprigs worth of leaves over each fillet.

7. Sprinkle each fillet with half of the Garlic powder or Garlic Salt and desired amount of Black Pepper.

8. Place cookie sheet into oven about 6" below the broiler. (I used the first level down from the very top).

9. Watch fish carefully. Depending on the weight of the fillets it will take between 5-7 minutes to cook fully. When you notice the cheese starting to brown, check fish every 30 seconds to see if it's done. Fish will flake easily with a fork when fully cooked.

10. Turn broiler off and leave fish in oven about 5 minutes. (this is optional, but will ensure it's cooked all the way and give you a chance to finish the rest of your preparation)

11. Remove from oven and serve with side dishes of your choice.

Number of Servings: 2
  • edgehollow2
    Options
    bump