Need help toning arms with tendinitis

Options
I have pretty severe tendinitis in both my forearms, and this is making it hard for me to exercise my arms. I have been using the chest press, shoulder press, and tricep dip machines. Some days my tendinitis flairs up, but I have a lot of problems with doing bicep curls or push ups.

I'm looking for any suggestions to either straighten my wrists/forearms to help heal the tendinitis or how to keep working my arms without making my tendinitis flair up.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• tourmaline11
    tourmaline11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. My issue is bicep tendonitis and it was bad enough for me to get a shot. But it won't last forever and I don't want to aggrevate it. I stock groceries at Meijer and once in awile lifting cases makes the bicep twinge.
  • crthiel
    crthiel Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't bother with weights. Utilize workouts that will use your own body weight. That should help. Anytime I start ****ering with free weights I start getting tendonitis flareups, especially from doing preacher curls. Try doing pushups, pullups, dips, etc.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that doing pushups is affecting your tendonitis. I would see a sports medicine doctor (not your normal physician). They should be able to hook you up.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used resistant bands. You can find them at your local super store or if you go to a gym, they should have them there as well. Just ask a trainer to help you. I did physical therapy with them when I was diagnosed with tendonitis in both of my arms to help strengthen them. You can do all the same moves with them that you would with weights except that they are a little bit easier on your arms. I would try googling the actual moves but I found that once I started with those I was able to move on to hand weights and push ups. I also do NOT recommend working your arms if you are in pain! It will make it much worse. On the days in which you are in pain just try doing cardio with no strength training. I found that if I am in pain and work my arms then next day is unbearable. I also really like BioFreeze for a nice cooling affect.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe tendinitis in both my forearms, and this is making it hard for me to exercise my arms. I have been using the chest press, shoulder press, and tricep dip machines. Some days my tendinitis flairs up, but I have a lot of problems with doing bicep curls or push ups.

I'm looking for any suggestions to either straighten my wrists/forearms to help heal the tendinitis or how to keep working my arms without making my tendinitis flair up.

Thank you!!!

Also, do you wear an arm band on your forearms? I was given one by my physical therapist to keep my tendon in place. Most commonly seen for tennis elbow - which is tendinitis in your forearm. I use mine all the time and will wear it all day if my arms are bothering me. And while there is no cure for tendinitis strengthening your arms will definitely help from further injury. I have been battling with my arms for about 7 years and with in the past two years I can now do full push ups and use 10 lb hand weights.