Chinese lunch - what to eat?

Options
Pangea250
Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
I work with an accountant and today is...well, everyone in America knows what today is. And you can imagine what the office is like. It's a nuthouse. The boss is ordering out for all of us from Chinese. I would love to eat with everyone else. I have allowed for a 300 calorie lunch today already. I can cut out a snack and a some from dinner meal and splurge with a 500 calorie lunch.

Question: what's on a Chinese menu that I can have for 500 or fewer calories?

Replies

• TurtlesRule
    Options
    SPRING ROLLS!!!! They are yummy :love: and only 41caloires a peice (I usually only need two)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    steamed chix or shrimp with veggies...ask for a light garlic or brown sauce on the side to dip your food into instead of pouring over .....
  • lauralwilson
    Options
    Hunan Chicken is fairly low in calories - I always get a,ittle nervous though becuase its hard to know exactly what different places put in there!! The rice is the killer - if you skip rice you can save a couple hundred calories! good luck!!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggie dumplings and moo goo gai pan (steamed chicken & veggies). Don't eat the rice.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    steamed chix or shrimp with veggies...ask for a light garlic or brown sauce on the side to dip your food into instead of pouring over .....

I do this and skip the white rice.... that way the only issue MAY be a lil higher sodium intake for the day.....
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ok.. i give up... i am in north america *L* (canada) and only day i know it is is monday? *L*
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am going to be different from everybody else...
    If you want the rice, have a little. My trick when eating Chinese is using the Chinese tea cups for measurement. They are about 1/2 cup. So if you want, measure out a little tea cup full of rice, and then measure out your food as well.

As far as other food, I would go with some sort of veggie dish, or shrimp. Shrimp is good protein and fairly low in calories. I would watch what kind of sauce you pick though! The sauce adds calories and sodium.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I say order what ever you want and then only have half and keep the other half for later. That's my favorite trick.

My personal favorite is the pepper steak.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I get steamed veggie dumplings. Very filling.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ok.. i give up... i am in north america *L* (canada) and only day i know it is is monday? *L*

In the US today is tax day...the day that everyone is due to have their income taxes completed. Usually those that owe wait until today to hurry up and file their taxes.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

today taxes are due - typically it is 4/15 but there was some holiday friday in DC so they moved the day taxes are due to 4/18...she works for an accountant so they are probably slammed with completing client returns...
  • Pangea250
    Options
    Steamed veggie dumplings and moo goo gai pan (steamed chicken & veggies). Don't eat the rice.
    I can skip the rice, no problem.
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I think you have so some great ideas. My advice is to drink tons of water to flush out all that sodium. Have a good time. And exercise it off later if you splurge. I feel that everybody watches what I order and makes comments that I am too skinny or starving myself if I order healthy. Ugh.
  • Pangea250
    Options

today taxes are due - typically it is 4/15 but there was some holiday friday in DC so they moved the day taxes are due to 4/18...she works for an accountant so they are probably slammed with completing client returns...
    Yep, you got it right. You would be amazed at how many of our clients will walk in today with all their information and be surprised (and ticked off) that their taxes won't be done in 20 minutes. And I guarantee that many of those same people will be calling me later at 5:30 demanding to know what post office is open late. And they'll be angry (at me) that the nearest one is over an hour away.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I had the same idea that someone else had. My local restaurant will let you order steamed chicken and vegetables, with sauce on the side. I dip my fork in the sauce and then get the food to go with it rather than dip the food in the sauce. It keeps too much from 'sticking' to the food, but still adds the flavor to the overall experience. You will find that you really don't need but a quarter of the sauce they give you and it's nice to have control over it.
    ~Namaste
  • Pangea250
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I went with steamed chicken & broccoli, sauce on the side, & 1 spring roll, then split another spring roll with someone. All for 439 calories. It was a great treat, & I'm full!