10lbs in one weekend... REALLY!!!

Options
My bachelorette party was this weekend, but I didn't gorge myself on unhealthy foods or drink lots of beer all weekend. I mainly stuck to vodka and crystal light and snacked on baked chips and salsa, pretzels, fruit, etc. I got on the scales this morning and I have gained 10 LBS! How did I undo a months worth of work in basically 2 days!?!?!?! I'm hoping it's water weight since I didn't drink enough water all weekend. Well, I guess this means double time in the gym this week!

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question :smile:
    It's not fat.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    it has to mostly be water weight and digesting food in your stomach and intestines. 10 lbs is 35000 calories. i think it would be next to impossible for someone that isn't a world class eater to consume that much in 2 days.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's not fat, so it doesn't matter.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    10lbs of fat equals 35,000 EXTRA calories. There is no way its fat....I mean you wouldn't be able to move right now if you ate an extra 35,000 calories in 2 days.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Relax, you didn't put on 10 lbs of FAT over the weekend! You probably put 10 lbs of water on! If you put on 10 lbs of fat, that means you had a net caloric intake of 35,000 calories over one weekend! While possible, I highly doubt you took in that many calories over a weekend, let alone that many net calories.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    never ever step on the scale on the monday after an 'off' weekend. Hit the water hard!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Definitely water weight. Sometimes when I have a big meal or eat foods i don't normally do I gain a bunch but with in a few days, with lots of water, the weight comes off and then some. Keep at it. You can do this!
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You could be retaining more water because you had more salty & sugary foods. Don't forget, any alcoholic beverage is filled with empty calories, too. 10 pounds does seems quite a bit HIGH for one week. Try getting on the scale later this evening, and see if it's any different.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding...
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Tough to say.. sadly even baked chips, pretzles and mainly the salsa can add up if you eat a lot of it. But you're probably right about the water, too.. since even if you didn't drink beer, you still had alcohol. And part of the reason why people gain weight from alcohol is not because of the calories in the alcoholic drinks in itself.. but because alcohol dehydrates you, makes you drink more and makes you eat more, too.. sometimes unnoticably..

Either way, i'm sure you'll get back on track soon and at least you enjoyed yourself right??

Wow, amazing how many people spiked. Shows how much this community helps. Water it is, it'll be off in no time.
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would give it a few days for your body to adjust, an extra 35000 calories seems to gain 10lbs doesnt seem right!

the food you have eaten may contain high levels of salt and maybe its water weight?

....fingers crossed for you!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just get right back to tracking everything you eat, drink lots of water and flush it all out. I bet within a few days it will all be gone and you'll be back to your successful self! Hope the weekend was great!
  • tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Trust me I know your pain. I had the same thing happen this weekend. Only mine was 7bls!!! I would amost guarantee it is water weight. The sodium from the chips and pretzles will do a number on your body. Just drink lots of water and I bet by tomorrow or the next day it will be gone (at least I hope)! Honestly for us to gain that much weight in 2 days you would have had to pretty much eat from sun up to sun set! Don't get too discouraged!

Tracy
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Water and sodium. Drink lots of water over the next couple of days. You'll be back to normal in no time.

PS: I'm right there with you.
  • ElizabethJ17
    ElizabethJ17 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged. I had a huge gain from my previous weigh in last week but now a few days later I am at my lowest weight for the past two months or so. Hopefully that makes sense. Just drink tons of water and get moving I know for me personally I see drastic weight loss when I just start exercising more. You can do it!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    tons..and i mean tons of sodium in chips, pretzels and salsa (salsa especially, sadly)
    give it a couple of days and should be fine again *S*
  • jen_bersabal
    Options
    never ever step on the scale on the monday after an 'off' weekend. Hit the water hard!

Great advice...I need to follow this more often! I am kind of obsessed with the scale and every little thing either makes or breaks my day!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    A perfect example of the power of junk food and alcohol! How did you feel? I know if I eat like that I cannot get out of bed and feel all puffy in my face and hands. Makes me wonder what the blood pressure does eating like that! It is amazing to me now that I don't eat like that anymore that I pretty much am ready to get out of bed by 5 or 6 am without dragging myself or using an alarm clock. It is good clean eating that is the magic. Go back to your healthy food and drink and it will go away this week. I gained 5 pounds once in a day from over eating at the "Tomatofest" where all food was little bites of tomato inspired dishes. Yeah, I was stuffed, but again, 3500 calories x 5? I don't think so. Drink TONS of water and it will really help flush the salt and junk away before it has a chance to turn to fat and stay! Good luck!
  • sarahb225
    sarahb225 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I knew in my head that it was just water weight, but it's so discouraging to see the scale go up! The support that you get through MFP is AMAZING!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Have you pooped at all over the weekend? That could be a reason in addition to water weight! LOL
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I gain 10 pounds in one weekend excursion to Vegas like clockwork. It's planned, executed, and enjoyed. Then those pounds tend to come back down once I go back to my regular diet over the course of a week. It's water retention.