High Fructose Corn Syrup & Partially Hydrogenated Oils

Options
Hi all! :-) I've personally cut out every packaged food from my diet that contains any HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils/trans fat on its ingredients list. It's proven to be pretty shocking as I look at how many foods contain these products... ex: Yoplait yogurts. I didn't even realize that they contain HFCS until I read the ingredients at the supermarket. Is anyone else concerned about HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils and avoid them at all costs??

On the yogurt topic, has anyone tried the Fage brand? I keep hearing about it, but haven't gone out to get it.

I'd also love to hear some ideas for some quick breakfast options for people on-the-go. A lot of my breakfasts consist of Kashi & Fiber One cereals w/ bananas, toast, etc. and it tends to get a little bit boring after a while.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sarahchan
    Options
    Hi all! :-) I've personally cut out every packaged food from my diet that contains any HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils/trans fat on its ingredients list. It's proven to be pretty shocking as I look at how many foods contain these products... ex: Yoplait yogurts. I didn't even realize that they contain HFCS until I read the ingredients at the supermarket. Is anyone else concerned about HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils and avoid them at all costs??

On the yogurt topic, has anyone tried the Fage brand? I keep hearing about it, but haven't gone out to get it.

I'd also love to hear some ideas for some quick breakfast options for people on-the-go. A lot of my breakfasts consist of Kashi & Fiber One cereals w/ bananas, toast, etc. and it tends to get a little bit boring after a while.

Thanks in advance!
  • kellyhough17
    Options
    you can get egg beaters, put them in a bowl, stick them in the microwave, when they come out put some good spices on them, mabey a tomato and yum! Somtimes I put fat free cheese on top. The Light n Fit yogert with splenda is great. I have diabetes and it dosn't raise my blood sugars at all!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating anything with either of those two ingredients a couple of years ago. Yeah, I was amazed that even Tillamook Natural yoghurt (some flavours) have HFCS in them! We started making our own, or if we find ourselves strapped for time, we buy blue bunny sugar free fat free yoghurts. They are made with Splenda and pretty good.
    Fruit & Light Cream Cheese wraps are really good. You can take a whole wheat tortilla and stuff it with light cream cheese, frozen or fresh berries and nuts and roll it up like a burrito. They can be done ahead too. Then just microwave it until it is just warm and it is good for you, fast and portable. I also like Cinnamon Apple Quesadillas. Same Whole wheat tortilla, warmed on a griddle. Saute' a fresh apple in about 1 tsp. butter (you won't need much, the apples juice out as they cook), add some cinnamon and a few chopped walnuts just until they are toasted. Put about 1 oz. of shredded monterey jack cheese on half the tortilla, toss the apples and walnuts on there, and fold over the other half. cook just until the cheese melts. Great stuff.
    Cowboy