garden growers only!

Options
:bigsmile: I am sooooooo excited for the upcoming weather so I can get my garden planted!
I absolutely love spending the day working in my garden.
Just wondering.......?
Do you plant a garden
What all do you plant in it?
Do you can anything that you grow?
My kids love to help me in the garden. I think they enjoy it as much as I do.
My 5yr old son loves to eat the cucumbers. My daughter loves them too and the tomatos.

So.......tell be about your garden!
I would love to hear!

Replies

• BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i do not have a garden but have been thinking about starting one in my yard, just a small flower garden though.
  • flipnsexy
    flipnsexy Posts: 37
    Options
    I don't have a garden and have always wanted one and told hubby I wanted to try and grow one this year especially since we started our healthy eating this year. I can use all the help I can get. I don't even know where to start haha... maybe I can add you as a friend and you can help me with your green thumb experience!! lol
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I share a garden with my mom. This year so far we have planted spinach, lettuce, peas, squash, onions and will be doing tomatoes! We can pickles, salsa and tomato juice! I love the freshness of it all! Tastes way better than anything you can get in a store! lol
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    I love to garden. We plant tomatoes (roma, regular, grape and cherry) , cucumbers, basil, jalapeños, broccoli, cilantro and zucchini. Also pumkin.
    You can do so much with these veggies!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have moved my patch this year as we didn't get a lot last year. I am growing chilis in a glass house, tomatoes in a growbag, beans, peas, beets, chives and broccoli in my raised bed, potatoes in bags, and sorrel in a tub. We also have a patch of rhubarb, a cherry tree and two small apple trees I planted 3 years ago.
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    I love to garden. We plant tomatoes (roma, regular, grape and cherry) , cucumbers, basil, jalapeños, broccoli, cilantro and zucchini. Also pumkin.
    Cilantro is a new thing I am gonna try to grow this year, any tips!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Plowing it last year...

Garden2010c.jpg

Will be the same this year,lots of potatoes,tomatoes,sweet corn,squash,eggplant,lettuce,green peppers,onions and melons.
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    Plowing it last year...

Garden2010c.jpg

Will be the same this year,lots of potatoes,tomatoes,sweet corn,squash,eggplant,lettuce,green peppers,onions and melons.
    Thanks for including the pic.....love it!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    This winter I had lettuce, arugula, onions and kohlrabi growing under a cold frame when it got too cold. I live in north Florida.

I just harvested the last of the onions and kohlrab and have the onions on a rack drying down the tops. I have a bed of herbs - chives, rosemary, basil, thyme, marjoram and sage.

I have two types of tomatoes planted - one heritage type and one specific to our climate. I still have lettuce for a few more weeks; then it will be too hot for it and I will put okra in it's place. I have a bed of sweet potatoes, 3 types of peppers, Japanese eggplant and 2 kinds of summer squash. Oh, I also have a bed of cantaloupe.

Happy gardening!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have 2 gardens - a small herb garden just outside the door and a large veggie garden. In my herb garden, I have rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro (only early on though as it's a cool weather herb) and sage (which I didn't plant, evidentially a bird decided I needed it there! BONUS!).

Our veggie garden is approx 25' x 70' and we normally do zuccini (SP?), yellow squash, cantelope, tomatoes, radishes, jalepenos (I can these), green beans and sweet potatoes. This year I hope to add lettuce, peas and maybe a couple of other items. We tried corn and watermelon, but never get a good crop.

Oh... and we are building a chicken coop as we speak so we can have fresh eggs. yum!

**edited to add - and a blackberry bush that's going crazy (we planted it 2 years ago and it's just now getting big enough to fruit! YAY!)
  • TS65
    Options
    Cilantro is a new thing I am gonna try to grow this year, any tips!

Google it. It doesn't do well in heat at all. Mine is already grown and we're just starting spring.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Don`t have a lot of space.But do cukes and tomatoes.Have flowers growing along the fence.The daffodils are trying to bloom.
    We do lots of salad.
    Good luck with yours.
    jane
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I have 2 gardens - a small herb garden just outside the door and a large veggie garden. In my herb garden, I have rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro (only early on though as it's a cool weather herb) and sage (which I didn't plant, evidentially a bird decided I needed it there! BONUS!).

Our veggie garden is approx 25' x 70' and we normally do zuccini (SP?), yellow squash, cantelope, tomatoes, radishes, jalepenos (I can these), green beans and sweet potatoes. This year I hope to add lettuce, peas and maybe a couple of other items. We tried corn and watermelon, but never get a good crop.

Oh... and we are building a chicken coop as we speak so we can have fresh eggs. yum!

my garden is similar.... 25x50..... and you can find a LOT of chickens on sale now and even more the weeks after Easter when they arent so cute to folks anymore....Craigslist in my area is full of ads for free chickens & a few roosters....

we have a shed and since we are getting a new garage built, Im gonna use the shed as a chicken coop....

the weather here has been too cold & rainy to direct seed outdoors so I got a very late start on my indoor greenhouse last weekend...
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    gardenweb is a GREAT resource for folks who like to garden.... no matter is you are container gardening, using raised beds or have lots of land.... LOADS of info there
  • vladikavkaz
    vladikavkaz Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Certainly do, and very lucky as we have a huge garden for living in London.

At the moment, we have on the go:

General planted stuff in and around the garden:
    Apple tree
    Two grape vines (pinot noir and a chardonnay)
    Every type of herb under the sun
    Blueberry bush
    Blackberry bush
    Raspberry bush
    Loganberry bush (though this still just looks like a stick in the ground)
    Strawberry hanging baskets
    Wild Rhubarb that keeps coming back.

Beds:
    More garlic than you can shake a stick at
    Onions
    Shallots
    Spring Onions
    Lettuce
    Rocket
    Carrots
    Pak Choi
    Tomatoes

Greenhouse:
    More tomatoes
    more carrots
    Kiwi Fruit
    Cheyenne Peppers
    Jalapeno Peppers
    Hops (oh yeah!)
    Grape offcut - see if it works

Oh, and two chickens

I've got to dig over a couple of beds to get them ready for the stuff in the greenhouse to go down, so we can get more on the go.

we tried potatoes last year, but got naff all in return for the amount of stuff we used.

Nothing better than fresh stuff out of the garden.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    We just bought our house soo I'm still trying to figure out if i have the time. I planted herbs and let them grow wild... basil and mint and now lavander, I'm on the search for Rosemary plant and another super frangrant herb thats pretty. So when you walk up to my front door all you smell is the herbs love love, love it... hope it works out like it is in my head. :flowerforyou:
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    This will be our 4th summer doing a garden and I still feel like I have no idea what I am doing!

We'll have corn, tomatoes, peppers (green, red and jalapeno), pumpkins, onions, broccoli and green beans for sure, we haven't decided on anything else.

I can tomatoes, salsa, corn, and green beans. I chop and freeze my onions and broccoli. This year we have a second freezer so we are going to be doing a lot of broccoli and onions. :)
  • hellokittymfp
    Options
    This will be our 2nd summer doing a garden. Our property is very wet, so I decided to do DIY earth boxes instead. LOVE it! It is so great, everyone I know who is a traditional gardener that has come to see my garden wants to make earth boxes now. :) Last yr, I did tomatoes (large and cherry), cucumbers, zucchini, jalapeno and bell peppers and green beans. I was surprised how easy it was. My mom had a garden when I was a kid and I remember it being back breaking work having to weed it, etc. Not with the earth boxes, even my DH who was not too thrilled with me wanting to garden is enthusiastic. I want to build up more boxes to try out some new varieties. :)
  • TS65
    Options
    We just bought our house soo I'm still trying to figure out if i have the time. I planted herbs and let them grow wild... basil and mint and now lavander, I'm on the search for Rosemary plant and another super frangrant herb thats pretty. So when you walk up to my front door all you smell is the herbs love love, love it... hope it works out like it is in my head. :flowerforyou:

I bet your garden smells fabulous! Be careful with the mint - that will TAKE OVER your whole garden. You may want to move it to a canister (or bury a canister in the ground to contain it. (My dad made the mistake of planting it on a side yard in CA - within a year it took over the WHOLE side yard. Smelled great but man what a pain. LOL!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    When we started on our garden 20 years ago, it was a barren back yard. Now we have fully landscaped. Have Rasperries, Strawberries, Rhubarb, and Blue berries that bear fruit every year. We have thousands of bulbs that come up every year (at different times). Roses. Built a deck. 3 Fire pits. Elevated flower beds. Hanging Baskets, Covered patio with walkway to deck.

When we started, I had no clue. Just bought what I thought looked good and planted it. If it came back the next year, I got more of the same; if not, I tried something else. We have been working around the weather, but will be done this year with planting on May 13. Doing a little each week. When we are done, I will post pictures.