walking

Options
I like to dance one and a while to burn off some calories. But my favourite type of exercise is walking. Will doing alot of walking make up for my lack in interest of other types of movement?

How good or bad is walking?

Replies

• tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In my opinion walking is the BEST exercise there is. Walking utilizes core and stabilizing muscles more than running does -- and your heart rate stays in a fat burning mode instead of a true "cardio" mode.

Ive lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks via light resistance training, walking about 3 miles a day, and moderating calorie intake.
  • PNOD
    PNOD Posts: 35
    Options
    The more you move by walking the more you will want to go dancing and do other activities. That's my case anyway. Walking is great
  • evanness
    evanness Posts: 25
    Options
    I think that no matter how many fancy programs and equipment come out walking will always be at the top of the list of best workouts! You burn lots of calories, work your entire body, and most importantly you have fun so you'll keep doing it! If walking is all you're doing, though, you might want to add variety like finding hills so that you get the extra uphill workout. You could also wear weighted gloves (or just carry some light weights) to get an extra arm workout out of it as well!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    walking is fab im doing about 3 miles a day:smile:
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Walking is great - and the best part is, it doesn't cost much - maybe some new walking shoes every so often, but sure beats a gym membership!! And another benefit I find, is that walking is such a stress reliever!! I've lost 41lbs since Nov 18, 2010 and walking is 95% of my exercise routine! I think I do need to start some weight training to tone up areas that I've lost fat in, but otherwise walking is my exercise of choice!!!
  • KrystalEmma
    Options
    Breanna, I was walking from my parents house to school every morning and then i would walk home after school some times, i only did it for a month and lost 3 pant sizes , and a lot of inches!!! So walking is really good for you and you lose a lot of weight too!! PS we need to go for another walk soooN!!!!
  • Robster3
    Robster3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love walking. Four years ago I walked in the Komen 3 Day 60 mile walk and have done it every year since. I just started training for this years walk.