200 lbs + to lose...

Options
I have lost and gained the same 85 lbs for years now. Currently I am at a 39 lb deficit. I have about 275 lbs to go! I really have about 25 more lbs,but I'm estimating that's how much sagging skin I will have to have surgically removed once I've lost this weight. Anyone else in the same boat? It's hard to stay motivated when there's so much to lose and no end in site... I love that this site has an iphone app so I can make better food choices while on the run. It's sooo easy to find foods I'm looking for and very easy to navigate! Looking forward to getting fit,healthy,and making new friends on MFP! :bigsmile:

Replies

• darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When I first started here I had 210 pounds to lose.

I know such a large amount of weight can be daunting and overwhelming when you think about it as a whole.

But we only have today. If we can make better food choices TODAY .... tomorrow will take care of itself. I hate to use cliche's but here it goes .... One Day at a Time :happy:

I'm glad you're here!

Friend me if you would like to support one another!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't have quite as much to lose but 130 more to go! I'm down 30 pounds right now from my highest weight in January and working to get the rest off in the next year or so. I'm also concerned about extra skin... I noticed that as I'm losing weight my arms are getting kinda empty and saggy, which is upsetting. I'm not sure what to do about it. Any idea on what to do to help tighten it up other than sugery? I can't afford surgery :(
  • goosemrs
    goosemrs Posts: 2
    Options
    I have over 100+ to lose... probably more like 135. It's very overwhelming to think of the "big amount" and how long it might take. So my new thinking is to just break it up into smaller time frames. For example, right now I'm doing a 90 day challenge. I have a goal set for the 90 days. (Now obviously I'm not going to lose anything near what I need to in the 90 days... but it helps me stay focused on one smaller goal at a time.)

Good luck to you. It's great what you have already lost! I agree with the previous poster... One Day at a Time.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! You'll do it!
    We took time putting weight on, we all have to do the time to get it off. But this site and the encouraging people really does help.
    Give a shout out anytime you need strength!
  • fatlass70
    fatlass70 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're doing well to me! 39lbs off can't have been easy. If you have a long journey with big numbers to achieve - would it help to break it down into smaller journeys perhaps 10-15lbs at a time? That way they're always in reach and you can feel that you are getting closer with each one ticked off?

I wish you lots of luck and continued healthy choices as you move forwards.
  • noahlh
    noahlh Posts: 3
    Options
    I'd look at it slightly differently -- you have an opportunity to RADICALLY change your life and, relatively-speaking, it'll be much easier for you to do than for some people to lose than nagging 10 lbs when they're only a bit overweight.

When you have 200+lbs to lose, your body will start shedding it like a cat's fur in winter ;) as soon as you give it that little kick. Adjust those calories down, start with some light cardio (whatever you can do -- walking, elliptical machine, etc.) and you'll probably lose 5lbs or more per week.

And think about this: If you do it, you're going to extend your life by years. Years! Think of how much more fun life will be knowing that you'll be thinner and live longer.

Go for it and keep us posted!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Don't get discouraged. Just take one day at a time and you will most definitely get there! :flowerforyou: I have 62 lbs total to lose and feel the same way sometimes; like there is no end in sight. But everyday I do well I am a day closer to being at my goal weight. :smile:
  • vyvrhovat
    vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would make any difference to you, but it REALLY helps me! I found this free app for iphone called "WeightTrack". All it really does is let you set a weight goal and an estimated date you'd like to be that weight, and then put up a graph. But that graph is WONDERFUL. It shows me exactly how I need to reach my goal, if I am being too hard on myself or too easy, and when I feel like I am just making no progress at all.. I can look at the graph and it tells me that I am right on course with the steady declining line leading to my goal. It feels great. Before I had it, I was doing okay, but I've done a lot better with it. When I see my weight going up and away from the line after I put in my progress, I know that I really need to buckle down that day if I want to be on my healthy course. It puts the end in sight, so that I dont have to feel like it'll never come. IT WILL! (:
  • PhatmanVA
    PhatmanVA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying...it can seem like a never-ending journey. I think this depends on how we look at it. When I started, I wanted to lose 167lbs. When I found MFP the first part of Feb 2011, I had 105 to go. Today, I have 80lbs.

With the above thought in mind I am not losing 80lbs...I'm losing 1lb 80 times. It is FAR easier for me to grasp the concept of losing weight if I just focus on the next pound...yes, keep site of the goal, but I can't lose that last pound until I lose the next pound, and then the next, and then the next...

Anyway...just a thought...I know you can do this...and together I know we can help each other do it one pound at a time.

Peace Be Your Journey,

Joseph
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Just marking this. I want to reply but currently feeding baby.
  • vyvrhovat
    vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't have quite as much to lose but 130 more to go! I'm down 30 pounds right now from my highest weight in January and working to get the rest off in the next year or so. I'm also concerned about extra skin... I noticed that as I'm losing weight my arms are getting kinda empty and saggy, which is upsetting. I'm not sure what to do about it. Any idea on what to do to help tighten it up other than sugery? I can't afford surgery :(

WEIGHT LIFTING! I'm not talking about like giant, enormous dumbbells or anything.. but weight lifting has helped so many of my friends AND me with excess skin. It's no quick fix, it definitely takes some time depending on what you need to tighten up, but there are a bazillion upsides to it besides just the skin bit. More energy, more strength, more happiness (yes, working out in any way does improve your mood, it's been proven!), more toning than if you just did cardio and nothing else. Lifting weights doesnt mean looking like a dude, as some people still think. That is completely false. It's the best, cheapest and least invasive way I know of to help bring all the elasticity back into your skin and keep you fittest. (:
  • Sugar5593
    Sugar5593 Posts: 22
    Options
    My nutritionalist told me when i first went to here that losing weight was like trying to learn how to play the piano.. Its not easy. Its not going to just come to you. It will be hard. And you will have to practice EVERY DAY. But if you really want to learn how to do it, you will take the time to learn.... I try to remind myself to practice every day:smile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Great job so far! Why don't you look at it as Changing Your Lifestyle, because if you don't (and you know this by constantly REGAINING the lbs. lost) you will never be Healthy. A Lifestyle Change is for LIFE, in EVERY way>>>You Change the way you live (the Bad Habits) and You Change TO LIVE (to stay alive and NOT just subsist). The Journey IS Life, weight loss is merely one of the wheels on your wagon (don't make it the whole wagon or you will be depressed when LIFE hits you and you are slim.)

One reason weight comes back and forth is because "we" stop doing what it took to get us to the weight we desire. When we reach our "goal" weight we should only have to increase our calories (incrementally), GOOD Eating/Exercise... Habits should already be in place.

About the sagging skin, so what! What is the alternative? You should be more "upset" about weight gain, than LOSING weigh and because of that skin sags. I think sometimes "our" focus is in the wrong place. Stay focused on what is important and that is the alternative to NOT losing the weight...That should keep you motivated.

I need to add: Many people do not understand that there is a point where skin will not snap back NO MATTER how much wt lifting/exercise one does. An Exercise Routine is very important for MANY Reasons, but usually for morbid and super morbidly obese people the skin will not snap back. There are excellent garments out now and of course the surgery is really good.
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You can do this. I have a total of 165 to lose. :( Just have to take it one day at a time. Can't look at the big number cause it is discouraging.
  • VerySherry
    Options
    MEOW... LOL
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    2 Years later, I have finally found time to reply. LOL. I still have about 115 to lose. I have been gaining/losing the same 85 lbs forever now. My worst time is in the middle of the night, if I could gain control of that, I could get through this.