How to train for a 5k?

Options
Hi!
After I deliver and recover (pregnant), I hope to start training for a 5k, running. I've never done one before, so I'm pretty excited, and motivated to do it.
My question is, what's the most effective way to train for a 5k? I have heard of two different ways. One being interval training (I think that's the term), where you walk for a minute, run for a minute, and build your running time. The other way I've heard, is to push as fast and hard as you can (even if that means walking in the beginning, lol), the entire 5k distance, and then work at improving your time.
I asked my husband this question, and he thought a combination of the two sounded good, but I'm still not sure.
I'm not looking to win the 5k (though that'd rock), but finishing well would be good.

Thank you so much! :)

Replies

• CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Google c25k...it means coach to 5k......You can download it 4 mp3 pod cast weekly
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a wonderful program. I used it years ago to get back into running, and am doing it again now after falling off the wagon.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi i did 5k last yr and would recommend walking and jogging to start, especially if u have nt done any running for a while:smile:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k not really knowing what was going on. The weeks that led up to it, I'd just run for as long as I could and walk when I needed. Before my second 5k I incorporated HIIT (high intensity interval training). It made a huge difference in how I felt and my time during the race.

I now do hill training, HIIT and tempo workouts during the week.
  • wendywilliford
    Options
    I did the Couch-to-5k (C25k) program and now run 5k's regularly. I followed the program exactly as it says, and I was running 3.1 miles in 10 weeks. I wasn't very fast (more of a fast walk/slow jog), but that's something I've been working on since I finished the program. I suggest following this program to reach 5k distance, then work on your time.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Congratulations on the baby!!!
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is an awesome program to follow for beginners and you can go right into running a 5K when you complete it. There is great support too on the C25K website! Good luck!!
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 6 of the Couch to 5k and, although Robert Ullrey's voice annoyed me and the music was a bit pants, I have found it very motivating! There are several 'free' apps to download so you have a choice of voice and music (I'm now using NHS choices to finish the final 3 weeks!)

I tried the programme 2 years ago but failed, mainly because I had no fitness whatsoever. But I lost over 33lbs and started it again at the end of February and never looked back.

This week is a week of non-stop running - 25 mins!!!!!

Take it slowly, work up to it and make sure you are fit enough to do it after giving birth!!!

LouiseXXX
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for a 5K and then moving on to a half marathon and I'm using the Hal Hidgon method. You can google it... he's got some great articles and information and so far, I have had no problem progressing from one week to the next. It's been relatively easy and it's nice having a set plan to go by.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    C25k is great. I do c210k - same concept but shoots for a 10k. Ironically, the workout is easier (IMO anyway). shorter runs, longer walks but the workout is twice as long (1hr vs. 30 min.) It's also 13 weeks vs. 9.

I use the iphone apps - mostly because youcan run it along with your on playlists.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend a couch to 5 k program - even better, if you have a local running group or running equipment/apparel store, see if they have a running class or program - that's really ideal because you get a coach and group of people to run with. Interval training is the most effective, I believe, with some speed work thrown in. It also helps to condition your body to reduce the risk of injury. I've been training for 5Ks for the past 3 years, and that's how I start out each spring after taking the winter off.
  • akcaswell
    akcaswell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I strongly agree with the couch 2 5k!!!! I did that program 2 years ago and am now currently training for my 3rd mini marathon!!! Its a wonderful program!