So confused!

Options
There's a handful of people that say Splenda is bad for u, then others say it's fine.

I use Splenda, but I also have regular sugar in the house. Should I stop buying Splenda? What are healthier alternatives for sugar if I want to sweeten up something?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's a chemical, but other than that, there's no evidence that it's bad for you. detractors will say "it's 1atom away from chlorine, which is kinda true, but means nothing, as a former chemistry major in collage, I can tell you that even things with all the SAME atoms can be completely different.

I have yet to find a study that relates NORMAL doses (I.E. where they don't give a rat the equivalent to two weeks worth of splenda in 1 day or something silly like that) to any condition or malady.

I'll say this though, psychologically, it's possible that it could be bad, many people have emotional issues with sweets, if you do, then it could be bad, but other than that...
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    it's a chemical, but other than that, there's no evidence that it's bad for you. detractors will say "it's 1atom away from chlorine, which is kinda true, but means nothing, as a former chemistry major in collage, I can tell you that even things with all the SAME atoms can be completely different.

I have yet to find a study that relates NORMAL doses (I.E. where they don't give a rat the equivalent to two weeks worth of splenda in 1 day or something silly like that) to any condition or malady.
    this exactly!

h8ers gon h8
    they can have sugar ill take my splenda!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people have bad reactions to Splenda, like an itchy, splotchy rash on their stomaches that takes a few days to go away. that might be why people say its bad.
  • PNOD
    PNOD Posts: 35
    Options
    I say it is bad for you, but then again so are a lot of things we eat. Moderation is key. I am not an expert either. Having a pack a day in a coffee or tea might be fine, but drinking 10 sodas loaded with splenda or any other chemical is not going to be good for you.

Personally I will not touch the yellow, pink or blue packets :) Nothing good in any of those.
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    fake sugar has aspertaine (spelling) and that is supposed to be bad for development, so when tou are young its not good i guess but as you get older there should be no problem
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Stevia. I think they call it Truvia in the grocery stores. I buy mine in pure powdered form at Trader Joe's. Be forewarned... it's VERY concentrated!!
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    i grow my own stevia plants. then dry out the leaves and crush them - poof- all natural nothing added--- oh and you only need a tiny bit.. I keep it in little jars- and I have a carry some in a little container in my purse for when I am out--- now that I think of it I wonder if people are wondering what the heck I am adding to my coffee ---- white powdery stuff in a little container hahaha
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    fake sugar has aspertaine (spelling) and that is supposed to be bad for development, so when tou are young its not good i guess but as you get older there should be no problem

splenda does not contain aspartame (I think that's what you were refering to), that would be equal. Spenda is sucralose, which is a completely different chemical. Besides that, aspartame has also never been proven bad. There was 1 study done in Italy that got a lot of play,it was from the 80's and claimed they found links to cancer in rats, that was since disproven about a million times, but it still makes it's way around the internet about once a year.
  • alylynn10
    alylynn10 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for commenting!

I've tried a packet of Truvia once...and I didn't like it....but it could be because I'm not used to it.

Just need something to sweeten up my tea and coffee if I make some.

I completely cut out soda in my diet, so no problem there =)
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I personally do not use artificial sweeteners or add sugar to my drinks at all. I feel like the artificial sweeteners increase the pain my joints (I have fibromyalgia) and such. I was eating it several times a day and it took days before it seemed like it got it out of my system. Since then, the pain isn't nearly as bad. I also have a coworker that does not use artificial sweetener because of her arthritis. This is just my personal experience though.
  • alylynn10
    Options
    =/ I have Fibro too! So maybe it is best to stay away from sugar.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Stevia. I think they call it Truvia in the grocery stores. I buy mine in pure powdered form at Trader Joe's. Be forewarned... it's VERY concentrated!!
    I agree with this! I always use Stevia. Truvia is something else though... I was just reading that people were having side effects from it, although I thought it was safe...

Stevia's your best bet. If I don't use that, I go for raw honey. If all else fails, sugar is probably a better than Splenda.

Never use artificial sweeteners! I get so sad when I see my MFP friends drinking them in their coffees. :frown:
  • alylynn10
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'll switch. I did some research & bc of my fibromyalgia, it's best to take out Splenda. Thanks everyone for their feedback!