Cauliflower!!

Options
sixxbaby
sixxbaby Posts: 543
Ok need any ideas for a yummy recipe with cauliflower, my family is soooo bored!!!

thanks

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    A lot of people prepare cauliflower like mashed potatoes (without the butter!). Personally, I don't like mashed potatoes or boiled cauliflower, so I haven't tried it.

I cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces, spray it with Pam or coat it in olive oil, sprinkle on some salt and bake in the oven at 400 for about 20 minutes. Actually, I do this with most of my veggies. Mom says even the grandkids will eat their veggies when they are roasted like this.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I was just going to suggest roasting it too - I love it that way!! Outside of having a cauliflower steak, that is how I always prepare it!
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Look up cauliflower pizza crust. It is soooo yummy!
  • missy5978
    missy5978 Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to be sneaky and prepare it like mashed potatoes as well. My kids have no idea they are eating a heap of veggies! :)
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower rice all the time! I put the florets through the shredding attachment on my food processor..it looks like grated cauliflower. I heat a pan, a little oil, add chopped onion..when cooked, add the grated cauliflower. I then add about 1/2 cup water..and here you can flavour it with stock or a little salt....cover and let cook. It's awesome! I do tofu stir fry's and use this as my rice. Filling and no bad carbs!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You could also use milk instead of butter when making cauliflower mashed potatoes.

I like it just baked in the oven. Have you been doing that? Put some water in the bottom of a corningware pot, put on the lid, throw it in the oven about 350, and let it cook for 40 mins. Should be just right, but you might wanna watch the time and heat, cause I just guess sometimes. When the cauliflower is done, you can enjoy with some seasoning like Spike, or Mrs. Dash.
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    One of our favorites... Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/balsamic_parmesan_roasted_cauliflower.html
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I love cheesy mashed cauliflower. I fon't have a" recipe" for it. I just cook the cauliflower until it's soft, mash it up, and add butter, cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.

Note, this is not a low fat or particularly low calorie dish, but I'm a carb watcher myself, so it's a great option.

For fewer fat grams and calories, lessen or don't add the butter or cheese :)
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday and it was yummy. It comes out like a Quich. You could even add Ham to make it into a main course instead of a side dish.

Recipe name Cheesy Cauliflower

Number of servings 9 large servings
    Preheat oven 375 Degrees

Cauliflower - Raw, 7 cup chopped (about 1 whole head)
    1/2 Red Onions (Chopped)

Put the Cauliflower and onion in a bowl with 1/2 cup water and put in the Microwave for 8 minutes. Drain water.

Laughing Cow - Garlic & Herb Light Cheese , 3 wedge
    1 Cup Kraft - Philadelphia Cream Cheese 1/3 less fat

Put the laughing cow and cream cheese in a bowl and microwave until soft and creamy

1 Cup Fiber One - Low Fat Cottage Cheese With Fiber 1% Milkfat Minimum
    Kraft - Shredded Fat Free Cheddar Cheese, 1 Cup
    Better'n Eggs - Egg Beaters, 1 cup

In a large bowl put in everything and mix. Put into a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Put in the over for 1 hr. Take out and let cool a few minutes. I cut it into the 9 pieces so to get the portion size but you will need to spoon it out.Enjoy.

Per serving
    Calories - 147
    Carbs - 10
    Fat - 6
    Protein - 13
    Sodium - 536
    Fiber - 3

The high sodium comes from the cream cheese and the cheddar cheese. I think that I would cut both down to 1/2 cup next time to cut out the sodium. - but it was very good this way.
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Pop Corn one of my favorite snacks

Ingredients
    § 1 head of cauliflower
    § 3 Tbsp. (45mL) olive oil
    § 2 Tbsp. (30mL) Mrs. Dash® Table Blend
    Directions
    § 1. Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C).
    § 2. Cut out and discard cauliflower core and thick stems. Trim remaining cauliflower into florets the size of popcorn.
    § 3. Toss thoroughly in a bowl with olive oil and Mrs. Dash® Table Blend.
    § 4. Spread cauliflower on a sheet pan and roast for approximately 60 minutes, or until nicely browned (that's the carmelization process converting the dormant natural sugars into sweetness).
    § 5. Turn three or four times during roasting. The browner the florets, the sweeter they will taste. Serve immediately.
    Nutrition Facts
    Serv. Size 3.8 Oz (110.0g)
    Servings: 8
    Amount/Serving

Calories
    Total Fat
    5g
    Trans Fat
    0g
    Sodium
    32mg
    Potassium
    318mg
    Total Carb.
    5g
    Protein
    2g
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Toss your cauliflower with a little olive oil and a good pinch of either curry or cumin, season with salt and pepper (if your curry is a spicy one you don't need pepper) and then roast in a 400 F oven until it starts to turn golden brown on the edges, turning every 10 minutes or so.

This will work with any number of seasoned salt or spice blends, too.

If you're in a hurry you can do the same thing with frozen cauliflower, just defrost it in the microwave first, drain it well and then season and roast it the same way.
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Ooooo- Gina's recipes had a great one! Fritters!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cauliflower-fritters-25.html

Cauliflower Fritters

This is a delicious way to prepare cauliflower. Similar to the taste of a potato pancake. Your kids will love them! Makes approx 24 fritters depending on size of cauliflower.

Cauliflower Fritters
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    thanks everybody, these all sound super yummy, now I have to decide which one to make!!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just made the yummiest cauliflower dish, its a low cal creamy fake mac and cheese. my kids and I loved it. Boil one head of cauliflower for about 25 min, then puree with 2c chicken broth 1c cheddar cheese, 1tbls mustard and salt and pepper to taste. pour over 8oz cooked elbow pasta sprinkle with 1/4 cup bread crumbs and Parmesan. bake at 400 for about 25min.

If you want more specific directions feel free to message me. It was so good.:happy:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Mix mashed cauliflower with mozzerella, mold into sticks, coat in breadcrumbs, freeze so they retain their shape, then fry in fry light. Like cheese sticks but with cauliflower.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bump