Gaining several pounds in a day

Options
So I'm about ready to give up. I have been exercising 3 to 4 times per week minimum. Depending on my schedule a minimum of 30 minutes or up to an hour. I eat one full meal a day except on the weekends, then I might eat two (please do not lecture me about starvation mode I don't believe it I've been this way for years).

I have not lost a single pound in the month or so I've been doing MFP. I am 300 to 400 calories under my calorie goal pretty much every day.

My biggest frustration is the fact that I can get on the scale and gain anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds overnight! I don't understand this, once or twice I have actually lost a couple of pounds from my starting weight, but then BAM, on the scale the next day and have gained even though I was under my calorie goal and exercised. Yes, I do drink water.

Anyone else have a problem with this?

Replies

• redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    Let us see your diary. Also, if you have bern "doing it that way for years" then couldn't that be why you can't lose weight?
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yup- me too. I eat differently than you do, but I have been gaining and losing the same 4-6 lbs for months now!!! Very very frustrating and I am also waiting to break through this frustrating thing!!! I will be looking forward to what everyone else here says.

I also gained 4 lbs since Friday- now, yes, I did "break" my diet for two of those meals- but didn't go hog wild- AND worked out and burned 1000 calories both Sat and Sun!!! so, go figure- the scale is up 4 lbs... I'm with you!!!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Weighing in only once per week (choose the day/time consistently) helps with this. Also, if you open your food diary to the public, you'll surely get some valuable feedback on your diet choices.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So I'm about ready to give up. I have been exercising 3 to 4 times per week minimum. Depending on my schedule a minimum of 30 minutes or up to an hour. I eat one full meal a day except on the weekends, then I might eat two (please do not lecture me about starvation mode I don't believe it I've been this way for years).

I have not lost a single pound in the month or so I've been doing MFP. I am 300 to 400 calories under my calorie goal pretty much every day.

My biggest frustration is the fact that I can get on the scale and gain anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds overnight! I don't understand this, once or twice I have actually lost a couple of pounds from my starting weight, but then BAM, on the scale the next day and have gained even though I was under my calorie goal and exercised. Yes, I do drink water.

Anyone else have a problem with this?

not going to lecture you about starvation mode but my guess is you are:

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.
    Setting the right goal

John Dewey once said that a problem well-stated is half-solved. If you want to reach your goal, you have to define it correctly. See, a lot of people say “I want to lose weight.” Well, if losing weight is your goal, go on a no-carb diet. You'll lose a lot of weight – some of it will be fat, a lot of it will be water, and a dangerous amount will be muscle tissue. You'll lose weight quickly, but you'll slow your metabolism and gain fat more quickly once you go off the diet. Trust me on this. I've been there, done that.

The problem is that you've set the wrong goal. If you want to look better, have more energy and enjoy better health, the goal is not simply to “lose weight.” The goal is to improve your fitness level and body composition. That means losing fat, improving your aerobic capacity, training your strength and defending your muscle tissue. You can't do that with a no-carb diet. You will do it using the approach you'll learn on this website. Trust me on this one too. I know what it's like to feel fat, tired and helplessly out of shape. The whole point of this site is to help others avoid that, by sharing lessons that I had to learn the hard way.
    Ready to change?

Right this minute, your body is the way it is because it has adapted to the lifestyle you've thrown at it, in an attempt to survive. Ever seen the directory at the mall with the little red arrow that says “you are here”? Well, fitness is the same way. You are here. You can't start anywhere else. So be kind to yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Don't worry about how much there is to do. Change your self-talk from “My body is my enemy” to “My body is my partner.” Accept where you are right now as the starting point, and start moving.

Changing your body requires more than just “going on a diet” for a few weeks. If you want to change your body, you have to make some changes to your lifestyle (which requires some discipline, but isn't as hard as it sounds). If you create the right environment, your body will adapt to it by becoming leaner, stronger, and more energetic. You can do this.

The words "starvation mode" have been taken a little too literally. Start doing some research on "Adaptive Thermogenesis". This is the scientific term for it. It is real and you are there.

Also read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • loseit65
    loseit65 Posts: 47
    Options
    well, sorry but your not alone, I also have been doing this counting calories, exercise, you name it . and I was gaining back n forth then finally this week i jumped on scale and low and behold down 1 pnd. whew! I'm ok with that, but still will be working harder. My excuse its being over 40 !!!! Kim
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I eat one full meal a day except on the weekends, then I might eat two (please do not lecture me about starvation mode I don't believe it I've been this way for years).

Ok we'll skip the lecture. Looks like it's finally caught up to you though. I used to think eating bacon cheeseburgers daily was perfectly good for me. I didn't believe the hype and did it that way for years.
  • LORR79
    LORR79 Posts: 55
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in a day.

Its recommended you weigh in once a week on the same scale at the same time for accuracy. I'm really weird and have to wear the same outfit too! Its a public scale,if it was private I would do it in the buff :laugh:
  • Dynetha
    Dynetha Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Let us see your diary. Also, if you have bern "doing it that way for years" then couldn't that be why you can't lose weight?

this is true...maybe if you ate a more balanced diet your metabolism would be shocked and kick into gear...not lecturing,though just saying... (but be prepared to be lectured whenever you post on this site...it's just other people who are trying to achieve a goal and want you to do well)
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Options
    bump
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Be sure your NET CALORIES are no lower that 1150 to 1200. If you drop them too low you're body goes into a preservation mode. Not sure if this is your problem but it sounds like something you should consider. Please read these links if you have any questions regarding starving yourself. You won't lose if you drop your NET CALORIES too low. Good luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Also, keep TOM in mind ladies! It can make our body weight fluctuate quite dramatically.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I eat one full meal a day except on the weekends, then I might eat two (please do not lecture me about starvation mode I don't believe it I've been this way for years).

Mostly, several pounds in one day is retention, usually water, usually a combination of factors. However, starvation mode or not, the very phrase "I've been this way for years" is very telling. I would assume you are hear because you want different results - you will probably need to do something differently!
  • rinitafitz
    Options
    I notice that if I don't take my weight doing the same time of day or point my scale in the same directions, I will get different results. Therefore, I weigh myself first thing in the morning, and I marked a spot so I know where to place the scale.

Also, I use to eat white rice everyday, but it wasn't until I switch to brown rice and wheat pasta and bread, before seeing evidence of my stomach and weight going down.

If you want to see different results, you must be willing to do something different.
  • adristory
    adristory Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Shake up your routine. Try spreading your food more evenly throughout the day, drink even more water and try a new excersize routine/class.

Don't get too hung up on the scale: take your measurements and perhaps you can see the difference there.
  • kirkcolton
    kirkcolton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm a personal trainer.
    Few things spring to mind.
    Don't weigh yourself every day - we retain and lose water up to 3 lbs per day depending on time of day and time of your 'cycle' so it's destructive to weight more than once a week.
    Always weigh with same clothes on as can make 2lbs difference. Always use same scales as they can vary by 6lbs!

Make sure you drink lots of water, not tea/coffee as helps flush out your system (approx 1 to 1.5 litres a day).

When exercising if you are not out of breath for at least 10 minutes continuous then it doesn't count. You need to raise your heartrate to actually be exercising. Are you getting to this point?
    Exercise needs to be 3-5 times per week, adding up to 30 mins in 10 mins blocks (or continuous 30 mins ) where you are out of breath, again else you won't be losing weight.

Also make sure you eat plenty of REAL food, i.e. not low fat, processed rubbish, as that stuff attacks your body and makes you put on weight, even if the calories are low as they use artificial sugar and fat that prevents your body from losing weight.

Hope this helps!
    Good luck!
  • amyvic4686
    Options
    Weighing in only once per week (choose the day/time consistently) helps with this. Also, if you open your food diary to the public, you'll surely get some valuable feedback on your diet choices.

I totally agree with this. I only weigh in once a week because there can be so much fluctuation. I weigh myself every Tuesday at around about the same time in similar clothes as an attempt to get a truer reading.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack every 2 hours. thats the only way to prevent ur blood insulin from spiking. When ur insulin spikes, it releases cortisol which is stored as fat. Ur 1 meal a day probably sends your insulin levels skyrocketing. And honestly if u have been eating this way for years and your on here looking for advice but dont want a lecture - u are probably ur own worst enemy. Not to be a smarty If you do something for years and you experience the same results - its probably not working.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What you are saying is like an alchoholic who has liver disease asking for help, but telling his friends not to lecture him about drinking....EAT YOUR DANG CALORIES. :) I didn't lecture, I just yelled at you out of love. =) If you're not losing anyway, why not at least try it? And you need to be eating small frequent meals as well. That may kick start your metablolism....
  • doriskeenum
    Options
    For me, anytime I go under the recommended calories I do not loose any weight. I have lost almost 50 pounds since 10/04/10 and can truthfully say it has been easy for me. I gave up all things white (sugar, flour, potatoes etc0 and replaced them with complex carbs. I also do not any "sugar free" items that are made with aspertame, I was a "Diet Coke: junkie and found when I switched to drinks made with Splenda i didn't crave sugar any longer. You might want to look into the nutritional values of the things you eat and look for hidden sugars and fats. Hope you do not give up.
  • Janiceburke
    Janiceburke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It really is true that if you don't eat enough calories...your body will start storing fat! Its a science. for about 30 days you can lower your calorie intake to no less than 1200 calories and see a weight loss...but of course 1200 is not a healthy route to take long term! I am 135 lbs and 5 feet 8 inches tall and finally at a good body % and I eat between 1700 calories and 2200 depending on my work out for the day! This is just to maintain! And i used to skip meals and eat Tons at Dinner...and snacked before bed. The best advice I can give as a fitness coach is to eat 5-6 meals a day Eat the amount of calories myfitnesspal.com suggests per your personal info you input...and when you work out you need to know how many calories you are burning...you don't have to eat those calories back but if burning 600 calories is dropping you below that 1200 calorie mark you prob need to reg fig your caloric needs! If you or any one would like more info or tips on this subject please request to be my friend! my diary is open! I logged my calories for months when i first started..but now I do it one week out of every month just to make sure Im eating enough per my current weight and exercise!