Thyroid calorie burn vs. regular calorie burn

muggle311
muggle311 Posts: 14
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all
Well I am still struggling as usual with the calorie thing. I was reading on line that those of us who have Hashimoto's do not burn calories like a regular person usually it can be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than normal.
Now how do I figure out which is it. That would mean to me if I was the half that when it says I burn 1400--- I in all reality only burn 700 a day!!!!!!!!! My HRM says the opposite I have worn it for 24 hours and I burn 100 calories an hour.
It is very daunting when you try to stick to the calories and I exercise at least 6 times a week usually for around an hour nothing less than 30 minutes but these last pounds just won't budge. I had medicines changed last spring and have struggled terribly since and have put on a few pounds.
I am wondering if anyone else has struggled with finding the right calorie balance.
Thanks

Replies

• I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about 9-10 years ago. Yes - it does seem much harder to lose the weight, but I do not calculate anything differently. Not my exercise nor my calorie intake. When I eat right (and stay within 1,000 - 1,200 calories per day) I lose weight. I try to exercise 5 days a week by running/walking stairs and by using my spinning bike. However, I dont think you are actually burning calories enough to lose weight unless it is true exercise calories. Not just the calories you would burn doing house work, grocery shopping, etc.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Sounds like your new meds aren't doing you any favors.
  • I was diagnosed with Hashi a year ago, however I think I have had it for a long time. I never heard we don't burn calories like a person without Hashimoto...I have been on a lifestyle change for 15 wks...I have lost a total of 43 lbs so far. That is about 2.9 lbs a week. I am taking the generic for synthroid 125mg. I drink about half my body weight a day in water and green tea. I am following the mfp guidlines and eating 1460 cals per day. I keep a strong eye on carbs, meaning I only eat complex carbs and stay away from the "white" carbs. I make sure I eat every 3-4 hrs. I eat a lot of protein. I had a 4 wk plateau where I only lost 1 lb per week, but I stuck it out and have been losing big since then...last week was 3 lbs. It REALLY makes a huge difference in what how you are eating your calories! I haven't exercised at the gym at all in about 3 wks due to an injury, and i am still losing big...because my eating is on point Caloric cycling or zig zagging calories is a useful tool for plateaus...I hope things start turning around for you :)
    (I do try to have a higher calorie day once a week to shock my metabolism and to keep me sane, gotta have a little of something your craving every now and then.)
    My badge says 38 lbs lost...I lost 5 lbs before I joined mfp so 43 lbs is my total :)
  • muggle311
    muggle311 Posts: 14
    The workouts are not the problem I do run and I walk, I lift weights etc. I do a lot of exercise so it has to be the diet.
    I am vegan I make 99.9% of everything I eat. I keep calories to between 1200-1500 depends on how long of a run I went on.
    I right now think it is due to lack of water since my job there is really no drinking of anything except on a break so that hurts.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and I will see if I can actually get somewhere here. I have lost 100 pounds in my lifetime and kept that off now to lose the last 30 would be great 35 would be optimal!
This discussion has been closed.