an HRM recommendation please?

Options
can anyone recommend a good one that won't blow my budget?

Replies

• tjcnc
    tjcnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for the HRM to do? If you want to just keep heart rate a basic calorie count there are the base line Polar monitors. Also some by Timex and others. I started with the Polar just because compatible with most machines. you should be able to get like an F1 for $80 or less.
  • Rhiani
    Rhiani Posts: 9
    Options
    I've been using a Timex Ironman Triathlon for about a month now - I don't know what your budget is but they run from about $60 to just over $100 on Amazon (depending on the model you choose) and they have a chest strap and a feature rich watch receiver.
  • BonitaAppleBomb87
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, I was just askin the same question... Now I went to walmart.com and they had some ranging from $30-200 now I can't afford 200 right now. But what I want to know is will the cheaper ones work as good as the more expansive ones.. I need a HRM that will count my burned calories with a timer.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, and I'm very happy with it - keeps track of calories burned, your burn zone, time working out, etc. You can usually find it for around $70-80. It comes with the chest strap - which you will want - for best accuracy.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    But what I want to know is will the cheaper ones work as good as the more expansive ones..

Sadly, no. It really is a situation of 'you get what you pay for.' The cheaper ones usually do not have a chest strap--which is necessary for accurate heart monitoring. The more pricey the device, the more bells and whistles it will have. Being able to input and/or estimate your VO2Max is probably the most important factor for accurately estimating calories burned, a feature that I have not seen on an HRM less than $125. That being said, many people are satisfied with the Polar FT4 and FT7's and both are under $100.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, and I'm very happy with it - keeps track of calories burned, your burn zone, time working out, etc. You can usually find it for around $70-80. It comes with the chest strap - which you will want - for best accuracy.

Ditto
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, I was just askin the same question... Now I went to walmart.com and they had some ranging from $30-200 now I can't afford 200 right now. But what I want to know is will the cheaper ones work as good as the more expansive ones.. I need a HRM that will count my burned calories with a timer.

I actually got mine from Walmart. It is the Pro-Form Ultimate HRM. It does have a chest strap, and It works great. It also has a 5 year warranty...I want a body bug eventually, but this was in the budget for now, and so far it works just fine, for $47.77.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Proform-Ultimate-Heart-Rate-Monitor/15188953