Weight Loss for recovering Bulemics?

Options
I know this might be a pretty controversial thread, So i suggest if this topic makes you uncomfortable, do not comment, just move on to the next thread.

Okay, So I've struggled with binging and purging for many years. I am a recovering bulemic, and have brought that habit down to maybe 1-3x a week if that. My weight has been yo-yoing the past few weeks. I am not quite sure why, even If i follow my meal plan, I'm not used to keeping down this much food, and my "bulemia" may have stopped working, either because I've done it so long that my body has become used to puking everything that goes down my throat, or I am not doing it enough anymore. I am really trying NOT to get back into the purging habit, its been a fight for years, and I've gained all the weight I lost back (150 lbs) I'm not 270lbs. that's 5 lbs more than where i started when i joined here, and 10lbs more than the loss I experienced last week.

I do admit, I am a medicinal marijuana user. I can't smoke so i use edible to treat my severe migraines and inherited rhumatoid arthritis. I try to use that as a very last resort to my pain, but when I give in and have to medicate because I just can't take the pain anymore. "munchies" kick in and I have an uncontrollable urge to binge. I feel as If I become this bottomless pit and can't even feel how full I am. This is really counterproductive to my weight loss, and it gives me horrible heart burn if i don't purge, and if I purge I'm reinforcing my eating disrder, than I get depressed because I've gained weight. Now, Im not sure if the weight change +/- 10lbs each week is normal fluctuation, or if I can really DO that.

I need some advice. I'm not sure how to go about this as a recovering bulemic, who's bulemia is no longer effective for weight loss. I know thats a complete oxymoron. an overweight bulemic right? The only way Ive found I can take the "edge" off of overeating is by taking healthe trim. IT gives me more sense of control, but when I don't take it or I'm medicated, I have a mindless loss of control over myself. What should I do? I've tried completely not medicating, but sometimes just one night every week or two can throw off my entire progress. Im feeling somewhat defeated....

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you and I am sooooo sorry that the only advice I truly have to offer is to please consult your medical doctor. You have a unique situation and I would hate to give or for others to give you bad advice! Best of luck to you.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a really complex issue that may be best handled with professional supervision.

Good luck to you and you are doing the right thing by seeking help and getting healthy! :flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. I think you should see an M.D. and consult with a professional who deals with people with eating disorders.

I wish you all the best :)
  • RavenImp
    RavenImp Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree with the others. And my heart really goes out to you. I would talk to your medical doc and perhaps a counciler in order to see if that also helps. good luck to you.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am a recovered bulemic.

You can get through this and I really suggest getting with qualified, understanding professionals.

You will be glad you did! Self pride and self integrity are everything.

You do matter, you are important and you are very muched loved. :heart:
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes, the best thing you can do for your health is see a doctor. I have had some emotional issues surrounding eating and I got a counsellor through my MD, talking with her has helped a lot. The marijuanna issue is a big one, if you are interested in weight loss- I have been there too. I can't have it at all anymore because I absolutely cannot stop eating.

The good enws is, you have recognized that you have a problem with bingeing and purging, asking for help is the first step :)
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I echo the voices suggesting professional help.

I'm a recovering bulimic too, and addressing the issues that contributed to it is necessary, as well as checking on the physical damage that may have been accrued.

Good luck to you, and feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    No idea. Like the others, I'd say reach out for therapy and guidance. They are the professionals.
    Wanted to congratulate you on your courage in reaching out to us.
    (((hugs)))
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that you are NOT alone and your struggles dont just disappear! I DO have a GREAT friend for you to read about. Her name is Michelle Myers (you can find her on Facebook and Twitter). She has a blog that she does, as well as a book. She is a great source of support for MANY.

Steph
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im an on and off bulimic too, so whilst i dont have all the same issues as you, i do know how hard it is to get back into non-disordered thinking when it comes to weight etc
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    It is actually very common for bulimics to be either of average size or overweight because even though purging whatever we eat does not actually eliminate the calories from soaking in basically.

First of all i will say if you are purging at all whether it be one time a week or one time a month you are not over the eating disorder and being truthfully honest you're probably not ready to lose weight in a healthy way. I say this from experience. I was 13 when i was diagnosed with an eating disorder and battled it for a very long 6yrs. So much happens your body from it effecting your appearance to your metabolism slowing down. I could and would make myself sick multiple times a day but because I wasn't losing teeth (a side effect of bulimia) I never thought I was that bad. So purging only once a week isn't okay, because purging is purging.

I come from a single family home therapy wasn't possible and I had to battle it on my own. At 19 I was considered "recovered" by regular doctor but 4yrs of "recovery" i can tell you there is no such thing. Just because I stopped binging and stopped purging didn't mean I was healthy or that I had the proper mindset. I really don't think it ever goes away and I have tried and failed so many diets because the line between an eating disorder and diet is near invisible. For the first time I feel I am ready to lose weight and do it the right way but that doesn't mean it's not a struggle. Getting on the scale I panic almost every time and this past week seeing almost half a pound nearly killed me but so much more bad came from good for those 6yrs.

Although I agree to get professional help sometimes it isn't possible because of money or something else. The only possible thing I can say is at some point something clicks and you have to do it for you. It's comparable to an addiction, think of all the people that go to rehab 2, 3, 5 and 6 times and finally on the 9th attempt it finally works. The treatment was the same, it's the person that is finally ready now.

You are so beautiful, not lying. We are friends on here so if you ever want to or need to talk shoot me a message.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I myself am a recovered anorexic bulimic. I would listen to the others and see a medical doctor. You are most likely low on alot of nutrients that are needed in order for your body to properly break down the food. You are headed in the right direction, keep up the great work and before you know it it will be a week you haven't done it then a month then a year etc... Believe in yourself, there are some great support books are there. Send me a friend request and I will be happy to support you. I believe in you!
  • fruityloop555
    Options
    I am a "recovered" bulimic as in i do not binge and purge any longer. My weight however has spirralled out of control but i am determined not to purge. I have put on 3 stone over the last couple of years and it is really getting me down. I have tried seeking medical help, my GP has referred me to a dieticion but the process so far has taken 3 months and i dont have an appointment with them until another 3 months from now. I dont know what to do. I cant face having to buy another wardrobe of clothes in the next size up :'(