Eating before bed and other time related questions

Options
My schedule varies through the week because of school, but most of the time I wait to eat dinner until pretty late at night. I heard before that you should try to eat at least five hours before doing to bed so your body can do it's thing and burn those calories instead of letting them sit there and turn into fat, is that true? Should I really make it a point to not eat anything after a certain time? (It kind of makes me think of myself as a gremlin, haha)

Also, I've heard a lot that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day and that the rest of your meals should tapper down throughout the day. I'm not a hungry person in the morning, I usually skip breakfast, eat a small to standard lunch, and then eat a big dinner. If I reverse that, will my body get used to it or am I just going to make myself feel sick throughout the day? I avoid breakfast since I tend to feel sick if I eat too early.

I was also curious to see if anyone was eating the five small meals a day instead of the standard three and if you believe that it has any benefits.

Any comments would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    i'm pretty much the same as you, I can't eat a massive breakfast so I just have a cereal bar or something! I tried eating my main meal at lunch time and then a smaller meal at dinner time but I was soooo hungry in the evening I couldn't hack it.
  • KCB1978
    KCB1978 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am sure its 2hrs not five... I never eat after 8pm and I am generally in bed around 11pm.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Try to eat 5 times a day is my suggestion. I know it's hard with the schedule but you can do it. My breakfast isn't that large even though I mean for it to be. It's just not. Try to eat your lightest meal as your "late" meal. That way you won't feel so bad about it and you have to eat. Schedules suck at times. Is there anyway you can take your supper with you and eat while in class or work or wherever you are at a "normal" time?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I work second shift, so I tend to eat larger meals later at night. But, I'm also usually up for quite awhile afterwards too. I have heard you shouldn't eat too close to bed - but, I think it may depend on what you're eating too. I try and eat lean meat (fish, usually) and a veggie (like asparagus) if I'm eating late at night. I don't eat red meat or anything overly fatty so late.

When I started losing weight, I wasn't a big breakfast eater either. Actually, I would often skip breakfast and eat something 2-3 hours later. I do think it is important to eat as soon as you can when you wake up. Remember that while you've been sleeping, your body has been fasting. Eating something in the morning gets your body going and will actually boost your metabolism. I used to just drink a protein shake or eat a yogurt and some fruit. Once my body got used to eating as soon as I got up, I started eating more. So, yes.. your body will adjust. Just start out with something small (like yogurt/fruit or a protein shake).

I eat 5 smaller meals vs 3 larger ones. It makes me feel better because my blood sugar stays level throughout the day. I don't get the jitters or the shakes because I go too long between meals. I keep protein bars in my car and in my purse so I have them with me at all times.
  • Annika1989
    Annika1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was always told to not eat after 8pm because your metabolism slows down in the evenings and therefore you are not giving your body enough time to digest and burn off the food you have just eaten before you go to bed. Your body does still work when you are sleeping, but nowhere near as fast as when you are awake.

I am the same as you; I never get hungry in the mornings and so I tend to eat more at Lunch time. But I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

With regards to eating little and often, I do really think that this works. When i started my weight loss journey in 2009 I used to eat every 2 hours. Roughly 200 calories a go.. Apart from a 300 calorie breakfast and a 400 calorie dinner. This worked for me. I lost 50 pounds in 6 months doing it that way. Steady weight loss pace. Why don't you give it a go!

Annika
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to eat one or two meals a day. Since starting on MFP and on my workout I have tried, and finally succeeded, at eating 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks throughout the day. It has helped me to eat most of my calories and not get hungry so I don't overeat at a meal. I don't know if eating too late is harmful, but I usually eat a granola bar or the like when I get home from my job at 10 pm. It hasn't seemed to harm me, but that is all I know.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I have to force myself to eat in the morning, and I tried and make it my biggest meal calorie-wise (though lunch beats it sometimes.) I used to skip breakfast (and sometimes lunch) and actually felt sick when I ate in the morning. Now I have no choice. Breakfast is absolutely essential and even though sometimes I feel like a little brat while I force the food in my mouth, I know I have to do it.

I don't do the 5 small meals, but I do it 5-6 times a day. I have a shake after my morning workout, then before I leave for work I have breakfast, then I have a small snack about 2 hours later, then my lunch 2 hours after that, then another small snack in another 2 hours, and then dinner around 6pm. And all day and all night I drink what feels like TONS of water.

By not eating, you're killing your metabolism. When I get hungry every 1.5-2 hours I know that something's working in my body and I need to feed it. When I would skip breakfast, I was never hungry for lunch and then I'd binge at night just for the sake of it. I killed my metabolism! Eat, eat, eat!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I also try to fit five meals in during the day. I usually eat my first meal at either 7:30am or 8am depending on the day and then I eat every three hours until I hit the last meal. Also, I don't eat carbs like rice or fruit just protein and green veggies after 5pm.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1) Eating late does have some drawbacks but it won't effect you so much that you should go out of your way to avoid it. Be careful to not rely on processed foods tho- late at night usually= my lazy time where I am more likely to eat crap.

2) I eat all my meals about the same size and find that adding caloires early in the day makes me fuller throughout the day.

3) I eat at least 6, poss 7 times a day, though not always in meals- I find it kind of keeps me going (cals listed for ea meal):

Bfast: Proteiny- eggs or pb +coffee (250- 400)
    Elevensies- light veggie (10-50)
    Lunch- sandwich, soup or wrap + fruit (wakes me up for the afternoon) (about 350)
    Snack- Yogurt! (Chobani or Fage, none of this "light calories" crap) or Luna/Cliff Bar (150-250)
    Post snack (?)- extra veggie to get me home without being cranky (10-50)
    Dinner- Lots of veg, some kind of grain or starch, some form of protein (300-500)
    Snack- Anything left over- usually Skinny cow ice cream or chocolate milk

I think you will notice a difference in your energy levels earlier in the day if you migrate your cals slowly to the morning (don't do it all at once, your body will mega tweak in confusion)
  • usmcdaffy
    usmcdaffy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says not to eat 3 hours before bed. Sometimes you think you are hungry and you are actually thirsty. I also have heard that if you are truly hungry its okay to eat a little before bed. Its really about good choice making regarding food. If hungry before bed its better to have fruit rather then a candy bar. :o) Skipping breakfast is BAD! :o) It makes your metabolism slowwwww.... But if you are not a breakfast person you can find non breakfast stuff to eat. One thing I have learned from Kurt Johnsen (yoga master) is to drink hot water w/ lemon first thing in the AM or drink hot tea first thing in the morning.

I eat fives times a day. You should make sure to eat about every three hours. If you wait any longer you will be REALLY hungry and you tend to overeat. This place is great to track food and you can see what you are really eating! LOL Most people underestimate how much they are eating by 40%. Yes! I was one of those people. This site has helped so much and let me personally see how many calories I was actually eating! WOW! :o)

Good luck on your journey! Every day is a new day to try again
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually a good idea to eat before bed. It keeps your metabolism elevated while you're sleeping and actually helps your body burn calories. But like others have said, try to keep it light. Maybe eat an earlier snack/dinner and allow yourself some wiggle room to nosh a little bit before you hit the sack. Good luck!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    While I agree that I wouldn't eat anything fatty or too many carbs later at night, as long as you stay within your calorie goals, it doesn't matter when you eat them. You still need to eat all of the calories your body needs. Eat them when and at what times work for you. If you don't want to eat a really large meal later at night, see if you can eat more earlier in the day.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Myths! It is important to have some breakfast, but controlled clinical studies of weight loss show that excess calories consumed at breakfast just leads to greater calorie consumption during the day. Try a protein shake or other small protein serving (I like hard boiled eggs myself that I cook up days ahead of time) rather than trying to push a lot of calories at breakfast.. AS far as late night eating, Probably best not to go to sleep on an overly full stomach if you're prone to acid reflux; but, you have to live your life! The primary issue is to keep to your eating plan. Good luck!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I really don't see what difference it makes. If one eats 1500 calories, what does it matter if 200 of that is right before bed? You burn calories while you sleep too.
    I was told net calories was all the mattered. I am a evening snacker. My DH and I catch up on recorded shows after the kids go to bed, and I just have not been able to kick my habit of having a snack while we watch TV. I have given up feeling bad about it and just made sure I had extra calories left over so I could have my snack. And you know what? I still was able to lose 70 lbs in 2 yrs.
    I am also one of those people who can't eat big meals early in the day, so my breakfast is usually light and I try to have something small a few hours later so I am not ravenous by lunchtime.

Find what works best for you, every body is different, and if you listen to your body honestly it will tell you what works.

Also, every day or bodies are different. I say I don't like to eat a big breakfast, but there have been days I have woken up STARVING. So I eat more than I normally would b/c my body was telling me to. I eat when I am hungry, I eat til I am satisfied,and I move on. I no longer worry about what time it is. My body doesn't care if the clock says "lunchtime", its telling me its food time no matter what.

Good luck!
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    Options
    I have read that calories are calories and it doesn't matter what time you eat. If you come home and are hungry, then you should eat (watch out--I'm a Jewish mother, and feed everyone!)

But seriously, I have read that from different research doctors and sites and studies, from books as well as on the web.

Maybe if you tried eating a small protein snack earlier in the day, it would jump start changing your schedule. Maybe you're not hungry when you get up, but you take a slice of cheese or some cottage cheese or yogurt with you, to eat on the way to work. I sometimes just melt some cheese on a slice of Ezekial bread, and take that with me in the car. i get up at 6, but I may not eat that until 8:30, with another cup of coffee. Experiment and see what makes YOU feel good.
    I've also read you should have "fasted" for at least 12 hours, before having breakfast. Most of (for example) eat at 6, go to sleep at 11, wake up at 7, so that's over 12 hours without food, before having breakfast. But everyone is different. Tha't the only thing I don't like about this site--they go by calories only. I only lose weight when cut out the carbs/sugar.
  • exxxtasi
    exxxtasi Posts: 39
    Options
    Well, I've researched about the same thing, and I've learned the eating breakfast is the best thing because it tells you're metabolism that you're up and moving so it speeds up.. If your not eating breakfast it could actually confuse you're metab. and it could be burning up to 25% fewer calories all day. If you're not a big breakfast eater then try protein shakes or smoothies...very yummy and you will have more energy, just don't add any sugar.

Hope this helps!
  • Rogns008
    Rogns008 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking forward to playing around with my diet to see what works.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat before bed- it's my 7th meal of the day. Like some previous posts have mentioned, eating before bed will help to keep your metabolism elevated longer during the day, meaning you burn more calories while you sleep, which in turn makes your body more efficient at burning fat. This is also doubly important when it comes to skipping breakfast. The name is derived from the phase "Break Fast" where you end your body's fasting state while you sleep. Even if you don't eat before bed, if you were in theory to skip breakfast, then there would be an alarming 12-14 gap between meals, where your metabolism would simply crash due to a lack of fuel.

I usually have a slow-digesting protein such as casein powder, although cottage cheese or a glass of milk could work in a pinch as well. Avoid carbs, as these are a source of energy and can interfere with your sleep. Having some healthy fats, such as nuts or peanut butter is great as well.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I usually eat all day... from when I wake up till when I'm ready for bed... and sometimes even in bed!! It's been working for me, and I'm never really hungry... just if i skip a snack or something.