To exercise or not to exercise

Options
That is my question!

I've been doing the 30 day shred but my hip problems were starting to get really bad so I switched to doing it every other day. BUT we had my stepson this weekend and I missed two days in a row. I was going to start back at it tonight but for some reason my left arm is in HUGE pain plus I really just dont' feel like it.
There I said it , I DON'T WANT TO DO IT! But I'm super scared of falling back into bad habits and I know I'm feeling particularly depressed about my weightloss jurney today. I want a break but I'm afriad with the way I feel a day will turn into a week wich will turn into never....

I feel like giving up which is probably a bad day to take a break isn't it?

Replies

• airsangel
    airsangel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As hard as it may be...you have to push through it and just do it! You will feel better about yourself after you finish. Good luck, I know exactly how you feel!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    if your in pain do something more gentle, but do do something
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    That is my question!

I've been doing the 30 day shred but my hip problems were starting to get really bad so I switched to doing it every other day. BUT we had my stepson this weekend and I missed two days in a row. I was going to start back at it tonight but for some reason my left arm is in HUGE pain plus I really just dont' feel like it.
    There I said it , I DON'T WANT TO DO IT! But I'm super scared of falling back into bad habits and I know I'm feeling particularly depressed about my weightloss jurney today. I want a break but I'm afriad with the way I feel a day will turn into a week wich will turn into never....

If you are in PAIN (not muscle soreness) do not work out today. You may injure yourself more and then you could be putting yourself out for a few months, when all you needed to do was rest it for a few days

Only you know if you truly in pain, or just being lazy. If its beign lazy GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Boy do I ever have those days. But hey, you have lost 23 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't quit. Change it up. Not sure where you live or the weather, but just step outside and walk briskly for 30 minutes. Come back and do some crunches and push-ups. Jillian can wait to see you tomorrow!

That being said, I better get my butt to Zumba tonight, cuz I made poor choices this weekend myself!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Do SOMETHING today. Even if you don't do the whole workout, or even if you decide to do something different because of the pain you're feeling, you have to do something if you're already thinking about giving up. The good news is that the fact that you posted this question means that you know the answer, and that's a turning point in itself. A person who doesn't care about her body or her health would've already decided not to do anything today.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's never a good thing to exercise when you are injured. Can you modify your workout - go for a power walk, a swm, a bike ride - to give your hp chance?
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Boy do I ever have those days. But hey, you have lost 23 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't quit. Change it up. Not sure where you live or the weather, but just step outside and walk briskly for 30 minutes. Come back and do some crunches and push-ups. Jillian can wait to see you tomorrow!

That being said, I better get my butt to Zumba tonight, cuz I made poor choices this weekend myself!
    It was snowing here this morning :-( Part of the reason I'm probably in this mood! I was going to just walk my dog but I'm a wimp and hate the snow!
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Pain is bad! Don't exercise if it's pain!

If the pain is actually soreness but feels like pain because you do not want to exercise...then exercise. I think you know what I mean by that:) I get that feeling sometime where my arm hurts but it's actually sore from a work out and I just want a day off. Since you had two days off I wouldn't take the 3rd off unless it is an injury. If it won't get better please see a doctor. You're not being a baby to see a doctor...pain needs to be taken care of.
  • merrie_michelle
    Options
    I have problems with my knees from time to time. I really enjoy jogging, but I find when my knees really hurt too much to jog, I go swimming. Swimming is an excellent calorie burner but is really low impact on the joints.

Good luck and congrats on losing 23lbs!!! Can't wait till I lose 23 lbs :O)
    Michelle
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    There are some things you push through and some things you stop for. You should push through (within reason): that feeling of just not wanting to work out, muscle soreness, and tiredness. You should stop and reevaluate when you experience any kind of injury or significant irritation to your joints. That doesn't mean that you should stop working out, it means that it's time to go see the doctor and switch up your exercise routine. Look for a new DVD/program/whatever that gets you feeling excited again! Then try rotating that with whatever you were doing before - hopefully it will keep your interest levels up and reduce the trouble you're having with your joints. Maybe look into something more low impact to do for awhile?

You should definitely go see your doctor and make sure it isn't anything serious, though - I got a steroid shot in my bad shoulder not too long ago and it really helped me out (although getting it hurt like hell).

Whatever you do, don't give up and don't beat yourself up! Sometimes you just need a break - be it to replenish your willpower or give your aching body a reprieve. The key is to let it just be a rest and not a relapse. Take a couple of days until your body feels better, then get back into it. You don't have to keep doing the 30DS - try going for a jog instead. Just keep moving and don't give up!
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    May be you can find another form of exercise that would suit you, and start doing that. i am not really in favor of you risking your health.

Please dont feel depressed we are all here for you, we are one big happy family
  • Daisy_May
    Options

If the pain is actually soreness but feels like pain because you do not want to exercise...then exercise. I think you know what I mean by that:) I get that feeling sometime where my arm hurts but it's actually sore from a work out and I just want a day off. Since you had two days off I wouldn't take the 3rd off unless it is an injury. If it won't get better please see a doctor. You're not being a baby to see a doctor...pain needs to be taken care of.

I don't know if it's pain or soreness, my hip I can deal with (I have Hip dysplasia ) I know when I'm over doing it with that and I take it easy. But this arm thing is weird, it hurts, that's all I can say, it hurts really badly not in the oh I'm sore and achy sort of way... more in the I'm going to cry if it doesn't go away sort of way.....
  • Eithr
    Eithr Posts: 7
    Options
    My personal rule is to never take breaks on bad days, unless I'm injured. If you workout on the days you want to workout least, you'll feel way more awesome on the days you actually do want to work out. On those days you're not really feeling 100% about working out, there are two ways to approach it: either do the minimum and get it over with or what I like to do is push myself a little harder than usual, kind of as a way to prove to myself that even on my off days I can make big things happen. Working out on days you don't feel 100% does more for you than just physical stuff, it helps to build and strengthen your mental endurance.

I recommend doing the workout. And, like you said, it's so easy to let yourself take one day off, so why not two or a week? Pretty soon a whole month has gone by...

What kind of routines are you doing? If you're joints are bugging you, you might want to switch to a lower impact workout, like cycling or swimming or yoga or water aerobics... maybe even rowing.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

I don't know if it's pain or soreness, my hip I can deal with (I have Hip dysplasia ) I know when I'm over doing it with that and I take it easy. But this arm thing is weird, it hurts, that's all I can say, it hurts really badly not in the oh I'm sore and achy sort of way... more in the I'm going to cry if it doesn't go away sort of way.....

this is an injury. Listen to your body....you can still workout, but do not use your arms (or do it as little as possible)
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    The best way I can disrcibe the pain is like I slept on that arm(my left) all night or something but I didn't and it's been this way for 2 days.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    That is my question!

You know you can do this!!

As others have said, you should not work through genuine pain (vs. soreness), but if your arm hurts, you can still go for a walk.

Looking at the long term, why are your stepson's visits off days? Take him to the park and run around, or, if he is older, take him to the park and play an actual game like frisbee or basketball. Soon, you should be able to go swimming. At least some of his visit should be alternative exercise days, not off days!
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    That is my question!

You know you can do this!!

As others have said, you should not work through genuine pain (vs. soreness), but if your arm hurts, you can still go for a walk.

Looking at the long term, why are your stepson's visits off days? Take him to the park and run around, or, if he is older, take him to the park and play an actual game like frisbee or basketball. Soon, you should be able to go swimming. At least some of his visit should be alternative exercise days, not off days!
    Usually we go swimming,I go to aquifit first then they meet me for a swim aftrwards, this week we were out of town visiting friends.
    Hmmm I wonder if there is an aquafit class tonight I could get too......
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Usually we go swimming,I go to aquifit first then they meet me for a swim aftrwards, this week we were out of town visiting friends.
    Hmmm I wonder if there is an aquafit class tonight I could get too......

Ahhh, so it was traveling that was the issue - not his visit!

I miss Aquafit :(
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    Thanks for the encuragment everyone! I went out and walked my dog :-)