Does sugar free yogurt exist?

Options
I hope this isn't a stupid question, and if it is my apologies. The diet I'm on calls for sugar free yogurt. I looked at every single yogurt at my grocery store and each one had sugar in it. Even the plain yogurt had sugar. I decided to get the yogurt that has the least amount of sugar, which was 11 grams.

So do I need to go to another store? Does sugar free yogurt exist?

Replies

• Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    It more than likely had carbs which = sugar content. They just lie to you and say oh no sugar but 32 grams of carbs. Same exact difference.
  • jencoz04
    jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    there is a brand called CarbMaster, there are about 3-4g of sugar for 6oz. I have found them at Food 4 Less and Ralphs.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know the fiber one yogurts have like 4gr of sugar...better option!!!
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Milk contains sugars, so even non-fat plain yogurt will have some amount of sugar listed in the nutritional content.
  • teacher4380
    Options
    Remember that there are natural sugars in milk...12g in skim milk (usually)...so, my guess would be to look for a lower sugar one like the previous responses!!! Good luck & keep us posted on what you find!!!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    See this is why I stopped eating yogurt everyday... I was noticing how much sugar they all have. So I picked up the Light Yoplaits. Okay, less fat, but still a ton of sugar. I never go over my fat, so I don't care about low fat, no fat foods. Plus fat free foods are loaded with weird ingredients the regular kinds don't have. I was looking at the ingredients of fat free cream cheese and I got scared!

So now I eat lowfat cottage cheese instead. A lot less sugar (a little more sodium).
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yogurt naturally has sugar (lactose), so to my knowledge all yogurt has some sugar. When your diet says "sugar-free" yogurt, it probably means "no sugar added" - i.e. not sweetened or flavored yogurt. I use Fage Greek 2% yogurt and add Truvia, a sugar-free, no calorie, natural sweetener.
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try that one.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    They have a diabetic friendly yogurt. I get that from time to time. 4 g of sugar.
  • aesoliday
    aesoliday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The sugar in milk is the lactose which is in the whey and is strained out of Greek yogurts making it thicker and creamier. Greek yogurt is very low in carbohydrates and the little that remains are good for you. As a nutrition student I have learned that it is extremely bad for you to go completely "carb" free as that is were your body gets all of it's energy. When provided no carbs your body will break down important things like muscle in addition to fat to provide the energy it needs, so remember to eat healthy carbs like veggies and whole grains and simply reduce the refined sugars in your diet. If you are diabetic you should consult a health care professional before starting any diet plan.
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There is yogurts that have very little sugar about 2 grams its by DANNON® Light & Fit® Carb & Sugar Control™ is a great option when watching your carb and sugar intake. Choose below to learn more about our Carb & Sugar cup and smoothie products.

Here is the web link

http://www.dannon.com/ourproducts.aspx
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Not really. Yogurt is made with milk, which has natural sugars in it. I think it's the lactose or something. That is why even plain yogurt shows sugar on the nutrition info even though it is made with milk.

Even my 1% milk had 12 grams of sugar.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The sugar in milk is the lactose which is in the whey and is strained out of Greek yogurts making it thicker and creamier. Greek yogurt is very low in carbohydrates and the little that remains are good for you. As a nutrition student I have learned that it is extremely bad for you to go completely "carb" free as that is were your body gets all of it's energy. When provided no carbs your body will break down important things like muscle in addition to fat to provide the energy it needs, so remember to eat healthy carbs like veggies and whole grains and simply reduce the refined sugars in your diet. If you are diabetic you should consult a health care professional before starting any diet plan.

If you are a nutrition student you may have learned that in the absence of glucose from carbohydrates, the body takes it energy from protein and fat, provided you feed it enough calories, NOT from its own muscle. You seem to be confusing starvation response with ketosis.
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    Get plain Greek yogurt (I use Trader Joe's non-fat) and add your own flavoring. Greek yogurt has higher protein content so it is more filling than regular non-fat yogurt.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat yoghurt of the non strained variety and it has 4.5 g of lactose /100ml. that's not very high. how does everyone get 10 or 11 g of sugars? is sugar added to those varieties?