Feet falling asleep running?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Eithr
    Eithr Posts: 7
    Options
    I forgot to add, when I was experiencing this issue I actually went to a series of doctors, well two doctors, to investigate the issue. After a bunch of tests that I can't remember the names of, they said it was either nothing or nerve damage. Nerve damage seemed very unlikely.

Since the doctors didn't seem too concerned, I wasn't too concerned. This coupled with that article in Runner's World sorta killed my worrying.

I'm no medical professional but I've been running and cycling for almost 20 years; I would just assume that it's a side effect of conditioning your body for the routines you're getting into. However, if you're really concerned and sure it's not your shoes, might not be a bad idea to talk to a doctor. If nothing else, getting the doctor's opinion will give you some peace of mind.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think it's your shoes and where the arch support is hitting your foot. Did you get fitted for your shoes? If not, I would go to a running store and have them fit you properly.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen on the elliptical. I have tried eveything...but it still happens.

2639362.png

On the elliptical, it does happen- not sure the mechanics behind it, but mine fall asleep every time- or at least get tingly...
  • johannahooks
    Options
    I had this problem...especially during my first marathon (and associated training) this year...and I ended up getting new shoes with a wider toe box...and a half size larger. My problems have completely gone away.

Shoes and socks make a HUGE difference. Yes, your race is in 20 days, but that's actually plenty of time to break in shoes. In the right shoe, you should be able to take them out of the box, put them on, and go for a long run.