How much water do you drink?

Options
Is there such a thing as drinking too much water? I don't believe I am doing that but for informational purposes I would like to know. I have a liter Sigg bottle and make myself empty it at least 3 times a day which obviously is 3 L of water a day.

Replies

• blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You CAN over do it with water, but you'd have to drink a LOT for this to happen. I get in my 8 glasses every day, for certain. On my Zumba days, I drink at least twice that. The bottle I take with me and empty almost twice is 1.5 liters. So drinking your 3 L a day won't hurt you any.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well... it IS physically possible to overdo water. But... in order to "overdo" water, you would need to take in MUCH more water than that! My Dad retired from a Maximum Security Mental Hospital for the Criminally Insane up here in Canada.... they had a "patient" there that drank over 50L of water in a day... he blew up in weight, & they had to have him drained, because his lungs were starting to fill!

So yeah... it's possible to overdo water... but you'd have to drink a LOT more than 3L! LOL... :tongue:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It would be almost impossible for you to drink too much water, so I wouldn't worry about it. Always aim for at least your 8 glasses. There are recommendations to drink more than that. Some say divide your weight in half for your total daily ounces of water. I aim for an extra 8 ounces of water for every 25 pounds I want to lose, which makes my daily total 10 glasses per day. Also, if you exercise (and sweat), you should drink extra water that doesn't count toward your 8 glass minimum. Water flushes toxins like no other beverage, even flavored water, so make sure you're drinking regular water.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Including water I drink when I'm working out, I drink 100-124 oz. per day.

As for whether or not it's possible to drink too much, yes, it is. But this is less related to the amount you drink and more related to how quickly you drink it. Your body can only absorb a certain amount of water in a given amount of time. They say a healthy adult can process 16 to 20 oz. of water per hour. Drinking more than that for an extended period of time can lead to water intoxication and hyponatremia (not enough sodium in the body). People in water-drinking contests have actually died after consuming too much water in a short amount of time.

So it's unlikely that someone just trying to meet their water requirements for the day is going to cause any harm to their body, but yes, it is possible to drink too much.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8-10 16.9 oz bottles of water through out the whole day....and I pee practically ALL day....lol:laugh: :laugh: But my skin has improved and I think the water helps with flushing out the fat and toxins from your body as well
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    People in water-drinking contests have actually died after consuming too much water in a short amount of time.
    If your body doesn't process the water it is possible, so this contest was for the contestants to NOT go to the bathroom after drinking the water.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Experts recommend drinking half of your body weight in ounces per day. I'm around 11 glasses a day but usually end up drinking more if I do intense workouts.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    These people didn't die because they weren't allowed to pee. Peeing is involuntary at some point. They died because of water intoxication. Too much water in a short time period causes your cells to expand and puts pressure on your brain.
  • carguy42503
    carguy42503 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    too much water in a short period of time can cause medical issues, including death but it would have to be an insane amount in a short period of time without getting it out of you body via sweat or urination. I have read several times that to get a more accurate figure for the amount of water you should drink, you take your weight (in pounds) and divide by 2 and that's how many ounces you should drink. That puts me at over double the 8 glasses day figure...
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    absolutely you can drink too much water and it can be fatal - a good example was a lady in the UK doing the Lighter Life diet. They recommend 4 litres of water a day -she drank that much in less than 2 hours and died of swelling of the brain. That's what happens to people who take recreational drugs such as E, they get extreme thirst, drink too much and die of water intoxication.