Down today because of the numbers

Options
I was playing around today with the BMI charts and they really have me down. Although I eventually want to be around 150-160 pounds, I would be thrilled with 200, about 100 pounds lighter than I am now. But, 200 pounds is still considered obese for my height (5 foot 7 inches). So even if I get down to 200 and look and feel great, I will be obese according to the charts.

This just really has me down today because I don't know if it's worth it. It just seems like BMI is such an unreachable goal, and I'm not sure I can do it...

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that for my hieght my ideal weight is still considered "over weight" but I know that I will be happy and toned so I am okay with that. :wink:

It is about being happy with your body. You may also find that you can get lower after you reach that 200! :flowerforyou:
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    Don't let numbers get you down, if you look good and are healthy the numbers mean nothing! Personally I don't go by BMI I have a lot of muscle mass for a woman and BMI doesn't reflect that, my BMI has me at obese when my doc says im fine so do not let those number defeat you!
  • cmshoe1974
    cmshoe1974 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to look at the number of pounds you need to lose and not get discouraged. I have to break it down into chunks. If I lose 15 more pounds I will go from being obese to just overweight. Then I will think about going from being overweight to healthy. Smaller goals can turn into huge rewards! Keep up the good work. :)
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Dont go for the BMI

Get down to the weight you want to be for your health etc

BMI is just a stupid little number anyway i mean im 5"9 and i think it has me normal range in the 130 pounds or something

COME ON I STILL WANT SOME *kitten* left!! Im not an ironing board!

Keep up the good work girlie
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    you will get there! don't be too overwhelmed! Just think of it in min igoals to have obtainable objectives. 5% of your body weight, 10%, 50 pounds etc... you will get there!
  • STONHJAM
    STONHJAM Posts: 1
    Options
    Dont give up, just keep going until you actually feel happy with how you look, I keep thinking the same but I am determined to carry on I have been doing this since January and have lost 20lb so you are doing really well:happy:
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't let the numbers get you down. Listen to your body, to how you feel. Look at your cholesterol, your resting heart rate. Look at how amazing you'll look at 200! 200 is a goal for me too - I haven't been 200 in my adult life, and I know it will be awesome. Keep at it, and don't give up. And when you're having a crappy day, post a blog so all of your MFP friends can help lift you up. =)
  • jkees4854
    jkees4854 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I will be thrilled when I reach 200, but the charts say I need to be 160. That's fine! My goal right now is 200. Once I hit that, THEN I'll start looking at 160. Don't let BMI charts, scales, measuring tapes and god knows what other devices we torture ourselves with get you down. Do it because it makes YOU feel good.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    BMI are based on really old numbers from years ago. Don't pay attention to it. Pay attention to how your clothes feel on you and how you feel over all, numbers are just numbers, its how you feel that counts!
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I try not to worry to much about BMI. It is quite controversial, honestly, If I hit 51kgs (the lower range of my BMI my family would admit me under suspicion of anorexia!) You need to focus on getting healthy. My first goal is just outside my healthy BMI range. Once I hit that, I think I'll see if I want to lose more or not. Goodluck on your journey.

Oh, and here is a link someone on here posted, I think it puts things in perspective.
    http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    Don't get down!!!

Take it day by day. :) It's a life change, so you'll get there eventually, but there's no rush (since we all know it won't happen overnight) Why not set some mini-goals for yourself?

I was surprised at how well I felt this year with my weight loss, even though I'm still in the obese section of the BMI chart. I have a ways to go before I hit my goal, but I feel better now that I did before. TONS BETTER!!
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    Don't let numbers get you down, if you look good and are healthy the numbers mean nothing! Personally I don't go by BMI I have a lot of muscle mass for a woman and BMI doesn't reflect that, my BMI has me at obese when my doc says im fine so do not let those number defeat you!
    Thanks thats helped me too as i have quite a lot of muscle mass too!!And my doctor says im fine as i am ect he said that bmi is crap as it doesnt take into account everyone differences ect it just goes on an average!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Last time I was at my 'ideal' weight, I was wearing a size one and I could count all my ribs. Everyone asked if I was dying I looked so bad. BMI is for the 'average' some people ideally should be smaller, and others should be larger. Your bone structure and muscle content will change what your ideal weight for you should be. Keep in mind that most professional athletes are overwieght or obese by BMI standards because of the amount of muscle they have. Should we put them on diets that eat away at their muscle to get them to fit into the BMI standard?
  • dyerdl17
    dyerdl17 Posts: 9
    Options
    Don't focus so much on how far you have to go. I take everything in mini goals. Come over one day and we can make mini goals together so we don't loose track of what we are working towards. I love you! BFF! :) Or if you want we can do it online too.
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    I think it's bull **** (excuse my language) to lump all woman based on hight and weight to determine whats "healthy" there are so many other factors involved. It makes me sick. I am so tired of millions of woman feeling like crap about themselves! without us the world would fall apart, a little slack would be nice
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Hey ,
    There is a limit between so you can be anywhere main thing not to go under or over. I am 5'9 and 80 kg about 181 lbs so my BMI is overweight, but if I get down between 18.5-24.9 anywhere between I can say already that I am normal weighted and healthier :), so I believe that you can play with these numbers still. I don't know which BMI calculator you guys use, but most of them should say the same.

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BMI is WAY less important than some other numbers, that actually TELL you something--cholesterol, body fat %, etc. Not to mention how you FEEL! I have lost about 35 lbs (can't weigh until Easter) and am still considered obese by BMI standards, but I would be happy exactly where I am right now b/c I eat healthy and exercise. Really, isn't that the goal? :bigsmile:

Oh--and at the peak of his career, Michael Jordan's stats would have put him in the Obese category as well... clearly not a "one-size-fits-all" indicator, as he was probably all muscle!!!
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    BMI doesnt account for how muscular you are and muscle weighs more than fat...IMO bmi is a bunch of CRAP! sorry...that was my rant for the day!!

do until you feel good about yourself. if you are 200, but healthy...then thats good for your body.:glasses: