Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I am in the market for a really good heart rate watch. Can anyone make suggestions? I've been looking into the FitBit even though it's a clip on not a watch but it also doesn't measure heart rate which kind of defeats the purpose. I exercise regularly and want to know how many calories I'm burning. Thanks!!!

Replies

• ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a polar -- the ft4 is popular I see a lot of ppl with those .. I have the RS300x -- love it
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I'd like to know a good one too.....are they worth the money? Never had one before and in theory they sound fab.....
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. The chest strap is comfortable, it was really easy to learn how to use, and seems very accurate. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it! :)
  • rick0327
    rick0327 Posts: 3
    Options
    Duo 1025 has many functions and only 89.00. great tool tells u how many calories you burn as well.
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Mio Motiva Petite Pink and so far I love it! It works best if you test your HR throughout your workout to get a more accurate count of calorie burn. I mostly got it because it's small and petite, and you can set the exercise intervals which will help me get to my running goals. So far so good!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it, my only complaint is it doesn't have how long I've exercised and calories burned on the screen whilst I'm exercising, but it's easy enough to find out so it's not a huge problem for me.
  • Windi38
    Options
    I'd like to know a good one too.....are they worth the money? Never had one before and in theory they sound fab.....

I think it was well worth the money...mine was around $80. it does calories, time in fat burn zone, time in aerobic zone, average heart rate and max heart rate. Keeps track of each session, and you can go back and check and see the changes, see totals for the week and month if you want, etc..... It's really helped me push harder while I'm working out.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar Ft7
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have the timex triathlon watch and the band broke the first 3 months I had it and it took Timex forever to make it right for me. The watch itself is great. I agree with you 100% you MUST have a heart rate monitor. More than the calories you are burning, what i love about it is it tells me if I'm really tired or if my body is lying to me. For example. I was running the other day and thought I needed to walk, I was tired. I looked at my heartrate and saw i was barely moving! So I picked up the pace and the tired feeling went away and I did much better. The thighs will lie, but the heartrate tells the truth!LOL
  • Windi38
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it, my only complaint is it doesn't have how long I've exercised and calories burned on the screen whilst I'm exercising, but it's easy enough to find out so it's not a huge problem for me.

With the FT7, you can switch from screen to screen to see how long you have been working out, to your current heart rate, to how many calories you have burned so far. Then, when you are done with the session, you see what your average and max heart rate is.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. It has a watch and a chest band. The chest band is very comfortable. I actually forgot I was wearing it, and forgot to take it off the other day. It is super easy to set up and use. Well worth the 90 bucks I spent on it.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. The chest strap is comfortable, it was really easy to learn how to use, and seems very accurate. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it! :)

me too - although mine is the FT4, both are great!

you gotta get one with a chest strap, other than that I'm thinking waste of money!
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    You can switch back and forth during your work out with the push of a button to see time, calories burned and heart rate..with the FT4
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f6 that was being sold half price at sears in the states last june. It has the chest strap which feels like your bra band (I tuck it under my sports bra) and you don't even know its there. It is much more accurate. From what i gather, just a watch is like guessing your cals's burnt from the gym equipment. I'd watch for sale. Costco/sam's club have good deals too.
  • bethany7687
    Options
    I have the sportline duo, around $80 at ****s. Started out with the cheaper version from Walmart and it didn't work after a week and they are non returnable. Spend the money for the better one. It took me a couple times and a good 1/2 hour study with the manual to figure it out but I wouldn't exercise with out it now.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

me too - although mine is the FT4, both are great!

you gotta get one with a chest strap, other than that I'm thinking waste of money!

Both the Ft7 and FT4 are terrific. You have to have a chest strap - that is the only way you can continuously monitor and get accurate calorie burns. I have an F4 and I absolutely love it - the best $95 I have ever spent. Go to www.heartratemonitorsusa.com. They have a huge variety of all types and prices to fit into your budget.
  • HeatherAnne05
    Options
    Go on ebay they have great stuff for sale!
  • MzNikNaj
    MzNikNaj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the Mio Classic Watch. I got it for $25.00 at Marshall's about a month ago, great price !:love: I really enjoy it, it helps me with its timer and also tracks laps, weight, date, time, body fat percentage and of course heart rate. A good heart rate monitor is essential to accurately track how much your fat burning (which this watch also does through calories) and optimize your workout by allowing you to track your target heart rate. I have an older model, but if your willing to spend a little more I'm sure the newer models are even better. Its a wide market out there so do your reseach, pick a budget, read reviews and go for it! Whatever you do remember, "diets" sometimes get discouraging, but a healthy "lifestyle" is the key to fitness longevity. Wishing everyone good luck with their goals! :wink:
  • VegasBaby
    VegasBaby Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love my pink Polar F6. Check it out on amazon :)
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F4 in red / pink. Also comes with chest strap. Comes everywhere with me now & goes on as soon as I do any kind of exercise including housework & gardening!! Great for giving you calories burned as well & MFP does overestimate for me so am glad I have one. Cost about £40 a couple of years ago. I got mine from a local shop but Amazon sell them. Good luck :happy: