anybody have a recipie for low calorie hamburgers?

Options
killer_cupcake
killer_cupcake Posts: 45 Member
any ideas would be helpful!!

6129816.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• lvcsy1
    lvcsy1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I always use turkey or salmon burgers. They are a lot better for you!! I usually dress them with spinach leaves, hummus, and grilled peppers and onions! It's def a nice treat! =)
  • tdjones00
    tdjones00 Posts: 68
    Options
    Turkey burgers on sandwich thins with mustard and some veggies.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I use ground bison exclusively. Tastes great and is LEAN.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If you still want beef, get a Foreman grill, they take out a lot of fat.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just use lean beef and season it, if you are grilling be careful for moisture becuase it will dry out easily
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers loaded with spinach, avocado, hummus, and a big salad on the side.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I use lean ground beef, grilled, but the only thing I don't use is the bun or ketchup. Mustard, lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Takes a little getting used to it but it satisfies my red meat cravings once a week.
  • Kaldrmjolka
    Options
    Turkey burgers mixed in with some chopped up purple onion cooked down just slightly until soft (I usually add just a tiny bit of lemon juice for more flavor) , pepper, parsley, and garlic (NOT garlic salt), served on wheat buns or sandwich flats.

Usually instead of ketchup we use sundried tomato lite dressing, some spinach (with some lemon with a nice bite), some laughing cow cheese (half a wedge usually does it actually! cuts more calories!) and a tomato. It's super yummy and you can always make more for lunch the next day.
  • ZTOUPS
    ZTOUPS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Grass fed beef is significantly more healthy for you than typical grain fed beef. No surprise, it is also more expensive. Make sure the package says grass fed beef.

http://www.americangrassfedbeef.com/grass-fed-natural-beef.asp
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Turkey Burgers are awesome. I actually prefer them over hamburer. If you dont like turkey burgers you can also just buy lean meat..I use that also :) For the bun you can either use Heiners 35 bread (70 calories for 2 slices) or thin wheat buns.
  • Jawwdan
    Jawwdan Posts: 19
    Options
    If you dont mind, you could always buy some quorn mince, add an egg and some flour....i think its flour. Then make your own little pattys. These are much much lower than turkey or salmon burgers. And they're vegetarian too! :) Yum yum
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers are great, I use Jennie-O brand...

BUT, if you really want red meat... buy the most lean hamburger you can find, season with pepper and garlic and then grill it. You can use Nature's Own sandwitch rounds instead of hamburger buns. :)
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 ground white turkey and 1/2 ground 94% lean beef. I also put spinach leaves. tomatoes and peppers. Another neat trick a friend showed me, is to pick out the center bread on a 100% whole wheat bun. I also make up 6oz burgers (before cooking) and after cooking I split the burger through the center for a very thin burger. Those are the tricks when I am really cutting back my calories!!!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A grilled portabello mushroom cap (I know I spelled it wrong, but you get the picture)
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    ground turkey breast, which is generally fine on it's own if you are going to use a skillet or oven. I generally try to grill, so I tend to have to mix the ground turkey breast with a little egg white & a few breadcrumbs before making the patties. If you have problems incorporating enough protein into your diet, that'll solve it.

The bison she mentioned above is probably a good alternative if you live close enough to a place to buy some, I think Whole Foods carries it. I'll have to try that one out, too.

Oh, ground turkey I'm learning is incredibly awesome to use as a replacement for alot of meats. I probably cook it two or three nights a week now. I've started substituting it for ground chicken in Larb (I have no earthly idea how its SUPPOSED to be made, but I make it by sauteing the ground turkey, then put it in a mixing bowl to mix in some chopped cilantro, lime juice, a dash of sriracha oil, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. Serve it with some cabbage leaves that you roll it up in), use it to make burgers, I saute some to add to my salad for protein, etc. But make sure you get the ground turkey breast instead of just ground turkey...tastes better, fewer calories, etc.
  • kminer80
    kminer80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burger on sandwich thins w/ half an avocado and Koops Mustard - Arizona Heat (flavor) w/ spinach leaves and tomato slices. Sometimes I take the half of an avocado and add jalapenos and I make guacamole and spread it on the bread. That alone gives it a great flavor. Also you can season the turkey burger with Weber Grill seasoning - Gourmet Burgers (flavor) and that gives it a great taste. I make them on the George Foreman grill or in the summer time out on the grill. Enjoy! :)
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options

Not all fat is bad, and she asked for low calorie. I haven't lowered my fats all that much, but have lost 75lbs.

The turkey burgers on sandwich thins mentioned above is what I do. You can darn near put whatever veggies on there that you want. (Pickles might be the exception, but it's the pickling that increases the calories, not the veggie itself.) Use mustard instead of mayo or katsup to knock down calories further. Cheese is going to be costly even if it is the skim variety, so if you can go without it...

Even with these suggestions, a burger is not "low calorie". However, if you compare what I have mentioned to what your regular homemade burger costs you, it is a far sight better. Even better... go look up what a burger at Carl's Jr. (Hardee's) will be in calories!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to substitute meats you can try these. They were quite good, but next time I think I'd add more cheese. It got a little lost in there :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/216709-ricotta-spinach-turkey-burger?hl=turkey+ricotta#posts-2856466
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options

Not all fat is bad, and she asked for low calorie. I haven't lowered my fats all that much, but have lost 75lbs.

The turkey burgers on sandwich thins mentioned above is what I do. You can darn near put whatever veggies on there that you want. (Pickles might be the exception, but it's the pickling that increases the calories, not the veggie itself.) Use mustard instead of mayo or katsup to knock down calories further. Cheese is going to be costly even if it is the skim variety, so if you can go without it...

Even with these suggestions, a burger is not "low calorie". However, if you compare what I have mentioned to what your regular homemade burger costs you, it is a far sight better. Even better... go look up what a burger at Carl's Jr. (Hardee's) will be in calories!

Dill pickles are very low calories since they are acid based however way too high on sodium, but if you just gotta have it - stick to one serving. If you go for the sweet relish or the bread and butter style pickles, that's where you'll find the added calories from the sugar in the brine. Despite their sweetness, they're also high in sodium.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    I use mind for all kinds of meat, not just beef, but I agree with the add fat removal from using it. Kind of gross to even think about having all that in our bodies when you see it.