new to PCOS and struggling!!!

Options
Hi, I originally joined this site to lose some weight simply to get in shape. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and it was a slap in the face. I finally decided to get back on the site and do something about it. I am told that for every 10% of my weight I lose, my symptoms will get better. Well, 1 more pound and I will have lost my original 10%... I do not see any signs of improvement.

I am really struggling with losing the weight. If I even "cheat" for a weekend I gain back any of the weight I lost for the week. I am told to treat myself as if I were "pre-diabetic". I have been severely limiting my carb intake. I hope to limit the amount of sugar next (one step at a time). I am not on any medications for the PCOS symptoms.

Any advice would help...

Thank you!!

Replies

• humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hey.... sorry to hear you are struggling so much with the PCOS symptoms...but the Dr. is right. The more fit you get the better you will feel. When I put on weight, I was having super stomach issues...and even had bouts of hypoglycemia (down below 40 4 different times) and I'm sure some hyperglycemia in there too. The doctor put me on Metformin to control the symptoms...and it helped keep me "normal"...but we did lose a pregnancy. The thoughts are that if I get in shape we will be able to try again and also my symptoms will stay at bay. Hopefully the same goes for you. Feel free to add me or private message me if you want to talk further. :o)
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm a fellow PCOS'er and I feel your pain. I too lost a pregnancy...5 months along. But I have done a ton of research on it and do know that the right balance in your diet and excercise helps to control many of the symptoms. Feel free to friend me!
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have PCOS as well and have lost nearly 70lbs since January of 2010, so it can be done. Treating yourself like you are pre-diabetic is a great help because women with PCOS should follow a low-carb/low-GI diet.

It's a pain and most of the time the progress is slow but it CAN be done and you CAN do it. Just have patience. The big key is to make sure you're exercising and getting your heart rate up. Too often we exercise in a comfort zone that isn't really pushing ourselves but we count it as exercise because we're moving.

You said your doctor hasn't put you on anything, I'd inquire as to why. Especially because it's pretty common for most doctors to put PCOS women on Metformin to help combat insulin resistance which many women with PCOS have. They also do it for other reasons but that's a common one.

You can also add 1000mg of cinnamon (about 1/2tsp to 2tsp) to your daily intake as well. Cinnamon works in another way to help control your insulin sensitivity and blood sugar levels. I take it in capsule form in addition to my Metformin.

Signs of improvement are not limited to what you can see but how you feel as well as your hormone levels. I've lost 27% of my body weight and haven't noticed much of a difference for the male pattern hair or physical signs of PCOS. I have however noticed a big difference in how I feel and respond to certain foods after eating.

So keep your head up and don't give up.
  • humblemonkey
    Options
    You said your doctor hasn't put you on anything, I'd inquire as to why. Especially because it's pretty common for most doctors to put PCOS women on Metformin to help combat insulin resistance which many women with PCOS have. They also do it for other reasons but that's a common one.

You can also add 1000mg of cinnamon (about 1/2tsp to 2tsp) to your daily intake as well. Cinnamon works in another way to help control your insulin sensitivity and blood sugar levels. I take it in capsule form in addition to my Metformin.

it probably good he didnt put her on anything if she doesnt NEED it. if she hasnt had any glycemic issues or is TTC and having troubles doing so...there really is no need to be put on metformin...
    as far as the cinnamon...be careful!! both LOWER blood sugar so you are putting yourself at risk for hypoglycemia...and if you are TTC or plan to in the future...dont forget to stop taking the cinnamon, as you cannot have it while pregnant.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I agree on the no metformin thing. I spent 2 years on it...lost 25 pounds. And that was with trying. Now I realize I feel so much better without it. However, my symptoms are mild compared to many I've met, so maybe its just that I don't need it with the right diet. I do know that sticking to a balance of healthy carbs and sugars and the right protiens works wonder for our PCOS riddled bodies. Some of the symptoms can be reversed, but I think the main issue we all have to realize is that with PCOS its a lifelong committment. You cannot lose a few pounds feel better and then stop. Your body will just react in a negative manner. I also think that regular cardio workout is key. Just walking for 20 minutes a day will help your body process the sugars in your bloodstream.
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options

it probably good he didnt put her on anything if she doesnt NEED it. if she hasnt had any glycemic issues or is TTC and having troubles doing so...there really is no need to be put on metformin...
    as far as the cinnamon...be careful!! both LOWER blood sugar so you are putting yourself at risk for hypoglycemia...and if you are TTC or plan to in the future...dont forget to stop taking the cinnamon, as you cannot have it while pregnant.

It really depends on the Doctor and which findings and research they go by. My Family Doctor said unless you have IR then no Metformin not even while TTC as it's not a TTC drug. Both my OBGYN and Reproductive Endocrinologist say it's standard because Metformin improves parameters of IR, anovulation, acne, and other symptoms in PCOS. I'm more apt to believe my OBGYN and RE over the family doctor.

Also, I've asked my RE about cinnamon and he says it's fine, even while pregnant. That 1000mg is equal to 1/2tsp-2tsp of cinnamon which I can easily get with my oatmeal. Like with all things, moderation is key.

If you have hesitations I urge you to research and consult your doctor.
  • humblemonkey
    Options
    I've been to SEVERAL doctors...2 different endocrinologists, multiple OBGYNs, (even one that specializes in PCOS), and a couple different physicians.
    I took Metformin for about 6 months...really the side effects were terrible and didn't notice much of a change.
    I think any way you can try to NOT be on meds, go for it. Try everything natural first. Your body can usually "heal" itself if you treat it right. Granted, with PCOS you will always have it...but you can definitely manage symptoms. It IS more difficult to lose weight with PCOS but it IS possible.

And I am not sure what you are talking about with the tests done...because currently there are no "tests" to conclusively diagnose PCOS. It is diagnosed by ruling everything else out. You can have insulin resistance....and not have PCOS. But when you have PCOS you DO have IR to some degree.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 16, but I remember having skin tags removed as early as 10...So I've had it for a long time.

The only thing I was put on was birth control to help balance my hormones. I ate right and worked out and lost a lot of weight. Just don't expect it to come off easy or quick and keep with your program. I have also been watching sugar a lot and it seems to help me lose. Good luck! You can do this!