Snacking while at your desk

Options
What are some good snacks for sitting around at work?

It's probably more habitual than actual hunger, but when I'm buried in a task a work I just want to nibble on something. If I bring trail mix I can easily eat way too much and go over calorie needs. I get burned out on baby carrots after a while, so much crunching. Dried apricots really *cleaned* out my system. Chips, boo! Something easy to prep and pack would be preferable... or do I just need to practice sipping on water anytime I want something?

Replies

• Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Whenever I get that urge to snack at my desk, I get some tea. Caffeine free and zero calories. It will usually curb my hunger for about a hour.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    tea! mindless snacking can make you eat waaaay too much, so i avoid it. instead, take a bread and go eat something yummy outside or in the break room.
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I munch on Cheerios. Whole grain and you get the crunchy.
    Feels like you are eating a lot because they are small :)
  • littlenoms
    Options
    I try to drink a lot of water, but when that doesn't cut it, I snack on grapes. I bring them packaged in one cup portions, so I can track the calories easier. I also keep almonds on hand for the same purpose.

I find having something healthier to nibble on helps me avoid the donuts/cookies/other miscellanous snacks that are kicking around the office.
  • gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try Pringles Stix they come pre-packaged at 90 cals a pack and I just munch a stick every so often the Honey Butter are delicious and it tastes more than 90 cals :D Also the Pizza flavor are good.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    8 oz. of 95-calorie popcorn does it for me. Plus the coconut oil is an appetite suppressant AND metabolism booster!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/under-100-calorie-easy-yummy-homemade-popcorn-86922
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Premade, pre-portioned popcorn? Eating some as I type right now!
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    FRUIT! Sliced apples, a banana, baby carrots (when you're not sick of them anymore), grapes.
  • Katievinnai
    Options
    I have a desk job and I find that I drink alot of water or fruits.I agree with the tea idea as it usually slows my hunger down as well. I also have a pack of sugar free gum lingering around somewhere to and find that helps..
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    For snacks at work I will bring apples, cut up pineapple or cantaloupe, quaker rice cakes, carrots with hummus to dip, granola bars (careful with sugar though), etc. And I make sure to eat them only if I am hungry. I keep a water bottle by my desk and drink water throughout the day.
  • emmigirl429
    emmigirl429 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I munch on Cheerios. Whole grain and you get the crunchy.
    Feels like you are eating a lot because they are small :)

I agree! A 110 cal serving is enough cereal to eat mindlessly and feel like you are "snacking" but without a lot of the bad.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Trail mix!! Some brands have "snack packs" now so you always know how much you eat. Walnuts are really healthy for you too!!
  • j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    almonds are great snackers & keep you full, just make sure to measure out the serving size before you pack them for work.

Today I snacked on rice cakes with a wedge of laughing cow light spread on top...yummy!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I eat white cheddar popcorn, low calorie and you can eat A LOT!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a graze box sent to the office which contains a mix of nets, dried fruit, seeds, flatjacks, olives the list goes on.... I think they are only in the UK but you could have alook at the site for idears of small packs of snacks you could take to work. I just love the mixes they do, would never have thought of doing myself. Just enought to get me though the afternoon snack attack :happy:

www.graze.com
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    My snacks consist of green tea (no sugar) but squeeze some fresh lemon in it as it makes your body absorb the antioxidants better, 3 almonds, 1/4th of a green pepper with laughing cow light swiss cheese wedge and that's it, and a pear or apple (some kind of fruit). Then for lunch water with fresh lemon, very small portion of organic firm tofu (with 3 fresh cherub tomatoes) and organic greek yogurt 0% fat (sprinkle some cinnamon on it to curb your body wanting sugar).
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the suggestions so far, keep them coming (as I sip on more water)!! ;-)
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have snacks built into my daily calories. I, too, get bored eating the same things all the time. I'm also very much a grazer vs 3 squares a day. On the weekend, I'll use snack size baggies & prepack measured portions of dry cereal (multi-grain Cheerios are a fave), pretzels or other healthy munchies (Meijer whole grain black bean & salsa chips are great). I keep granola bars for my sweet tooth but try not to hit those very often! I usually have a small piece of fruit on my desk - an apple or a clementine or prepack some grapes. You can also get some small plastic containers (Rubbermaid/Tupperware/Ziploc) and portion out hummus, peanut butter, etc. The biggest thing is preparation then you just grab & go in the morning!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Every day I put a 64 ounce bottle of water on my desk. I keep a 12 oz. glass next to it. I ALWAYS have a full glass ... If I drink ANY, I refill the glass until I run out of water. I plan a morning snack and an afternoon snack and if I get the munchies, they are there and not forbidden. If I happen to work through snack time and I make it to lunch without feeling the urge to nibble, I am good to go. If I want both snacks in the afternoon, that's fine too. I just try not to have have both snacks at morning so I have one to look forward to.
    Since I have 'budgeted' for these in my daily calories already, it doesn't matter When I eat them. Usually, I have something like a mandarin orange or two (about 45 calories each) and a baggie of apple slices (with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to keep them from yellowing...about 80 calories).
    I know some people who keep gum available at all times to ward off the urge to graze by keeping their 'chewing mechanism' going. Personally, I can't use most gums because artificial sweeteners give me migraines, it's pretty hard to find anything but a basic blah flavor that has actual sugar in it and not something heinous.
    Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you!
    ~Namaste
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I pre-measure snacks so I know what I'm allowed during the work day..usually it's bunny luv carrots, a granola bar...a bagel in the morning with two different kinds of fruits. I like the Blue menu pretzels too...I also pound back the green tea and water with a scootch of lemon. I also love bear paws vegetable crackers...you get 22 for 100 calories...if you savor them you can make them last lol