Help~Need ideas

Options
JVWard98
JVWard98 Posts: 49 Member
I need some ideas on what I should take to work to keep energy all day. I do take a vitamin at night but I work 10 hr days 7-5:00 with barley a half hour lunch and lucky if that. I need ideas for lunch and maybe something to keep in my desk drawer. I work for a Veterinary Hospital so we dont really get breaks until lunch. By the time I get home, im soo exuasted its soo hard for me to want to exercise and have to get up too early to do it in the am before work.

Thank you!

Replies

• knewbry
    knewbry Posts: 2
    Options
    Almonds are a great snack or a piece of cheese. Also I have found Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt with granola and honey is very filling.

Good Luck!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I love me some baby carrots. 4-5 every hour works for me.
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    I am a fan of the atkins bars, but the one thing that really gets me by is beef jerky. It is high in protien, does not have to be refrigerated, and when I am on the run and cant stop to eat, I can have a few slices and be able to get by!

That being said, do you eat a good breakfast high in protien before starting your shift? I am a Registered Nurse so I know what its like to not get a break. Ideally, you should be eating something every 2 hours. Do you have a small refrigerator where you can store things? If so, you can pack several tupperware containers with snacks that are quick to eat (you would be surprised how quickly you can eat yougart!) and just take the few minutes to run and grab something. I know its hard to break away sometimes, but your energy will improve so much!

Hope this helps!
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    I hear you! I am a nurse and some days you can not stop. This may sound lame but I have just found protein bars, the real ones with 17 - 20gm of protein per bar, they will keep in your desk and add a bottle of water and I am full for hours!!!
  • angelaplaxton
    Options
    The Hype to this question you have is Protien. but be conscience of the fat and cholesteral in the choice you make. A bowl of oatmeal sounds lame, but in the morning give yourself that extra 8 minutes to make it and enjoy it. put Cinamon, apples, even Hemp Hearts are great!!!! Look into Hemp Hearts on google, they changed my moms life, she dropped weight, had energy, pooped lol!! Keep searching, you can do it!! We all know you'll make it :)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    All-Natural Portion Control snacks are great and help you better monitor your calorie intake as well. It's a matter of personal Preference, however I tend to enjoy Nature Valley Granola bars as they're quick any easy to snack on from time to time.

If that's too much as well, then I wouold suggest finding a good tasting protein powder that's water soluable that you can sip on during the day. Again, it's a matter of preference as to what you like.

You don't need to go all out to make a smoothie (since you don't have the time luxury), but if you have something that you can dump in a water bottle and sip on in passing over however long, that'll keep you fueled to have energy, and is relatively simple to track in your food guide.

Good luck! :-)
  • JVWard98
    Options
    Thank you all~these are all wonderful ideas~I do have a yogurt that I will eat at my desk sometimes but sometimes I still get hungry. I think I will try the Protein Bars and the carrots as well and what kind of beef jerkey to you buy? I try and eat a decent breakfast. I have my coffee and either a breakfast bar or bowl of Cheerios and sometimes I will fix a couple of scrambled eggs with 1 piece of toast and some fruit if I have the time. Would the pre-packaged oatmeals or cream of wheats do?

Looks like I need to go back to the store lol
  • JVWard98
    Options
    funny thing too is I try and becareful eating behind my desk all the doggies and kitties seem to smell me out like "What she got back there" lol