Walking with friends and family or alone?

Options
There's times I LOVE to walk with those I care about, its a great time to talk, shoot the breeze, and burn calories at the same time..but they all walk at a much slower pace then I do..what do you prefer most of the time, though? Alone or with people? For the most part, I prefer i could walk with people who can speed up and walk at a fast pace or alone at my own pace..so, I can get in a good burn. :happy:

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I like to walk with my mom and my best friend for those reasons - they are also fast walkers so that is my ideal. But my mom lives an hour and half away and my best friend has a new baby and works full time -so I only get walks in with them about once a month or so.

So my favorite walking companions are Audible.com and Netflix.......
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I walk by myself the majority of the time. I do have two friends who walk at a good pace and I do love walking with them but our schedules conflict so often that I only get to walk with them about once a week. I do find that when walking by myself it is a good time to go through the clutter in the brain:)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I like to walk alone for exercise, but sometimes I walk with my daughter or husband too... it's more of a social thing than exercise though, as I don't burn many calories going so slow.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to walk with friends. That was great when we were walking around our neighborhood in circles over and over again. It gets boring when alone. However, I don't live there anymore and I don't mind walking alone now, listening to my Ipod and keeping my own pace. There's more freedom that way.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I noticed when walking with my fiancee or guy friends who are in shape, they walk my pace or faster! :laugh: Good thing, though!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it's for exercise, alone or with the dog. But even he slows me down anymore.
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think i like to walk alone most of the time, well me and my iphone with music playing.lol
    Sometimes i walk with my wife,sometimes with the dog but he slows me down. Every other bush he wants to stop for a toilet break lol.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    It really depends on the pace I want to hold. If it is just a gentle walk, I will walk with my wife. But if I want more of a work out, I go alone. Not to sound mean, but she slows me down...haha.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I love to walk with my children. They're only toddlers, so I don't get to walk very fast, but it's a lot of fun, and I'm hoping to set a good example for them. :) My husband will watch them when he gets home from work, so if I need to, I can walk alone. That's nice for setting a faster pace and getting some de-stress time.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    It's not an option on your post but my preference is to walk with my dogs. I like to have that time to enjoy the breeze, feel my sweat, reflect, think and having people around just makes it noisy.
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    Alone most of the time. I'm with people all day long so when I get the chance to get out and walk alone (or with the dogs) I just love the solitude.

As far as the pace goes it's better for me to walk alone because it will vary. I'll walk quickly for a bit but I have an ankle injury and every once in a while I need to slow down for a few minutes to let it rest. It's frustrating for other people to keep changing their pace to match mine.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Unless it's dark or scary, I walk alone. My mind goes blank, and I just listen to what's around me. It's Zen.
  • dublvision2
    Options
    I love my walks all by myself. It's my "me time" and all the stress just melts away during my walks. Plus, it allows me to do intervals if I feel like it. I can't imagine trying to do intervals with someone else.

Now, that being said, I had the pleasure of having one of my daughters walk with me the other day and it was such an amazing mommy/daughter moment that I would gladly have that happen again. :)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I used to crave the company of someone else to workout with, but everyone is either at a too fast or too slow pace for my taste. I usually just go by myself now, or if my husband has nothing to do, he tags along.
  • my2girlies2029
    Options
    I usually walk alone with my Ipod playing music... I can set the pace I want to and if I feel like jogging/walking intervals I have thr freedom to do it. I like the solitude since I have 2 small children that are noisy 24/7. It's my "me time"...

Some days I walk with my husband and girls and I enjoy it but we have to stop constantly along the way to pick up toys, drinks that were left behind. :)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I walk with my SIL 3 days a week and we keep a brisk pace. The other 2-4 times I walk alone, but I always talk on the phone with my mom or sister who both live out of state...that's a great compromise because I get to catch up with them and it makes the walk go much faster!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I either walk with my neighbor who walks just as fast as I or alone... the two times I brought family - my daughter who is 18 and my sister who has ALWAYS BEEN thinner and in better shape than I - they added a lot of time to my walk and slowed me down!!!! I do like to do long walks by myself 5+ miles or more... if I do my Loop + which is 2.6 miles I like to go with my neighbor.