Alcohol and dieting

Options

Replies

• shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    also keep in mind that your body can not use alcohol as a fuel. so those calories are not burned, they are stored!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    it's easy to pour 3-4 oz without even realizing it.

Especially after the first few drinks:laugh:
  • suzitto
    Options
    I think that as long as this is not something that you do often, then just drink what you want, have a great time and enjoy your time off from mommy duty.

Plus, you will dance off some of those cals!!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I extend my workout on days I know I am going to be drinking. And I also try to log how many drinks I am going to have (and usually add to that since I am known for having "just one more") :drinker:

I drink Mich Ultra. 90 calories!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    How many ounces in a shot?

12. whistling.gif
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options

12. whistling.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yes...you just add the soda or juice for a little color, right?:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

12. whistling.gif

:laugh: :laugh:

Wait...I thought it was 13?? :huh:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    also keep in mind that your body can not use alcohol as a fuel. so those calories are not burned, they are stored!

This can't be true, they have to be burned at some point, otherwise I could easily pass for a small bungalow :noway:

I read somewhere that your body uses alcohol calories first, and therefore does not utilize stored calories when you drink?? So although it does not store them, you aren't burning your reserves when consuming alcohol.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

This can't be true, they have to be burned at some point, otherwise I could easily pass for a small bungalow :noway:

I read somewhere that your body uses alcohol calories first, and therefore does not utilize stored calories when you drink?? So although it does not store them, you aren't burning your reserves when consuming alcohol.

I don't know about this... but I do know that it will dehydrate you something fierce, so you should always have a glass of water to sip while you are drinking alcohol.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Something I looked up...may have some answers.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/alcohol.htm
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    good site bunny!

"So, what's the bottom line?
    Although an alcohol-rich meal does increase your metabolic rate, it also suppresses the number of fat calories your body burns for energy — far more so than meals rich in protein, carbohydrate, or fat [3]. While the odd drink now and again isn't going to hurt, the bottom line is that alcohol and a leaner, stronger body just doesn't mix."

scary stuff in that article... glad I rarely drink :noway:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    try to stick to tonics/waters/diet sodas for mixers

all your light beers weigh in at between 90 and 110 cal's

to be drinking 12 to 13 you should be working out an hour-hourand a half straight cardio during the day.....

Its not impossible, but if you want to be within your calories, have fun and not worry, you should be exercising on those days.

Im 22 going on 23 and have done this site for almost a year.
    Try to just be better with how much you're drinking, what you eat during the day and go outside for a nice long jog/longer walk.
  • NB_Lady
    NB_Lady Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I seem to run into the same roadblock as you on the weekend- Friday night in particular! I'm a light beer drinker :drinker: :drinker: and am taking the weight off slower than I would like:frown: , but it is coming off. I do better if I try to eat light through the day and make sure I get active doing physical things during the day.

If you use the calorie and exercise counter, you can burn off the calories and still get a little free fun time with your pals! Good luck!!:flowerforyou:

I've tried switching to other types of hard drinks that I could sip on which might not go down so easy , but once a Budweiser girl always a Budweiser girl:ohwell: Sounds like we're facing the same struggles so feel free to let me know if you need a little extra support. We WILL do it!:wink:
  • kellch
    Options

to be drinking 12 to 13 you should be working out an hour-hourand a half straight cardio during the day.....

Its not impossible, but if you want to be within your calories, have fun and not worry, you should be exercising on those days.

Try to just be better with how much you're drinking, what you eat during the day and go outside for a nice long jog/longer walk.

Tonic Tonic Tonic...that's it! (mixed with something...what was it...hmm...I dont remember) It was a drink that has almost no calories or very few calories? I know there was a drink that was really really low on calories. Let me look that one up:bigsmile:
    brb:smooched:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options

12. whistling.gif

:laugh: :laugh:

Wait...I thought it was 13?? :huh:

Ok I am a big guy, so ... I should be able to have a double shot (26Oz)!!! :drinker: As he passes out from one drink!
  • msblondy16
    Options
    The reason people think liquor has no calories is that those liquor commercials sell their drinks as "no carb" which is TRUE because the calories in alcohol are all from sugar alcohol which is stored and used differently as mentioned before. I went through almost all of college believing this!! I never gained weight, but maybe that was because much of it did not stay put for long...:laugh:

For me, I save drinking for when I really, really want to. I don't have the occasional glass of wine at dinner or drink after work like I used to because the alcohol always hits me after only one and then I end up doing tequila shots with my friends into the wee hours... :blushing:

But really, enjoy your time out. There is no good calorie-free version of alcohol, just like there is no good calorie-free version of real chocolate cake. Have it when you want, do it in moderation, and enjoy every second of it! It is not worth indulging if you can't enjoy!!
    :drinker:
  • msblondy16
    Options

Tonic Tonic Tonic...that's it! (mixed with something...what was it) Isn't that the one that has almost no calories or very few calories? I know there was a drink that was really really low on calories. Let me look that one up:bigsmile:

TONIC WATER HAS TONS OF CALORIES!!! It has just as much as say sprite or something unless you get it diet... I also thought this was true until about a year ago... vodka tonic was my "calorie free" drink in college... but now i know how horribly wrong i was!!! :grumble:
  • kellch
    Options

Tonic Tonic Tonic...that's it! (mixed with something...what was it) Isn't that the one that has almost no calories or very few calories? I know there was a drink that was really really low on calories. Let me look that one up:bigsmile:

TONIC WATER HAS TONS OF CALORIES!!! It has just as much as say sprite or something unless you get it diet... I also thought this was true until about a year ago... vodka tonic was my "calorie free" drink in college... but now i know how horribly wrong i was!!! :grumble:

I'm gonna find what what I was talking about :laugh: There was something that was reallllly low in calories. Maybe it was ummm...I dont know maybe your right maybe I got it mixed up with the zero carbs thing:ohwell:
  • kellch
    Options
    Tonic watercalories
    1.0 fl oz has 10 calories
    1.0 can or bottle (12 fl oz) has 124 calories
    1.0 can or bottle (16 fl oz) has 166 calories
    (2,000 calories is the average recommended daily intake for adults and children four or more years of age.)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh............I was looking at the 1 fl oz part :laugh: who drinks just one fl oz of tonic in their drinks:laugh: Well maybe Shannon......12 oz of liquor and 1 oz tonic:bigsmile:
  • kellch
    Options
    From
    http://www.madisonmag.com.au/health_qanda_lowcal_alcohol.htm

White spirits with slimline mixers or water have the lowest kilojoules. Think vodka, fresh lime and soda, gin and slimline tonic, vodka dry, which range from 48 to 88 calories each.
    The worst offenders are beer which has around 182 calories per pint, a glass of medium white wine has 95 calories, champagne 95 calories and a bottle of Alco-pops contains a whopping 200 calories. So it’s no wonder we complain about putting on weight when we’re drinking a lot.

I remember reading about the wine spritzers being like 48-88 calories....But here is an article off of WebMD and it has some good info:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/low-calorie-cocktails

As for where I got infor on no calories in alcohol.......It must have been just hear-say or off of a blog or something. I dont know. I just remember hearing it somewhere. I'm glad I read this though. I never would have known. Hmmmmmmmm....learn somethin new every day :drinker: I'm glad I cut down on the rum n cokes and I'm glad I cut back on drinkin all together. Once a week or every couple is plenty for me. It takes me a week to recover anyway :laugh: :tongue: