Full fat vs. low/no fat

Options
I only eat full-fat cheese and yogurt (plain Greek, no sugar added.) (I don't drink milk but I buy whole milk for my family.) If I put anything on my bagel, it's a thin layer (very, very thin) of butter. I use olive oil in my salads. No mayo ever. No salad dressing ever. No ice cream ever (because of the sugar - I eat no sugar.) I don't eat fried foods ever - okay, maybe a bite off my husband's plate in a restaurant once a month.

What do others do about fat? Full or no/low? Fried or not?

Just curious...

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't fry anything myself, except onions in very little oil as a base for Mediterranean food. I use olive oil for all cooking that needs oil. I get semi skimmed (2%) fat milk as non-fat is vile. I sometimes buy unpasturised full fat at market, as unpasturised is much better for you. I generally get low fat yoghurt, as I can't taste the difference, so may as well. I do use butter if I have bread, which is rare (apart from my recent blip) and for baking. I don't like margarine, and don't see the point. It isn't butter, it doesn't taste like butter and it doesn't do the job of butter. I'd rather not use anything!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about eating everything low in fat because some days when I do that I'm way under my daily recommended fat intake that this app tells you to shoot for.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat anything full fat other than almond butter multiple times a weeks and the occasional (less than 2x/mo) bite of full fat cheese. I drink skim milk and almond milk, low fat yogurt and cottage cheese and lean meats. Personally I just like the taste better of low fat stuff most of the time and non fat some of the time, I just try to keep within my MFP range and stick with lean meats and low fat dairy <3 I'm sure as long as your cholesterol/blood pressure etc etc etc is good then higher fat foods are ok in moderation :)

** I didn't even think about butter/oil etc I just don't use it. If I cook I use water or low sodium soups as a base and occasionally nonstick spray but that is it
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i go by the sugar count. I work out so much im almost always below my fat allottment, so i dont really worry about it. The exception would be milk. I have been drinking skim milk for so long that whole milk tastes like cream :( I avoid fried foods pretty completely. When i do i use olive oil for sauteeing.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat any fried food. I do use low fat milk but full fat cheese. I find with cheese the full fat has so much more flavor you can eat less. I read, if you eat non fat processed foods and milk it has more sugars and sometimes more calories per serving. I always read the labels and compare regular to low fat. I try to limit the non fat foods and watch portions with all.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can't have milk, but I do use margarine for some things, I use olive oil for cooking instead of vegetable oil, and I generally go with the low-fat options for most things. It all comes down to personal preference I think.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. I usually aim for lower fat (never, ever fat free, though, unless it's naturally so), because low fat tends to have less calories.

But I definitely try to get fat in my diet. Otherwise, it's impossible for me to feel full.

It seems the jury is still out on whether eating full fat is actually better for you. It's an interesting idea. If it's working for you, keep it up!
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have lowfat milk in my cereal and eat lowfat plain yogurt. I use olive oil and butter for cooking and use butter on toast. Margarine and butter substitutes taste so foul to me!
  • allornothinggrl
    Options
    I eat regular everything, sour cream, mayo, yogurt, cheese, etc. Just less of them. I NEVER eat low fat or no fat items....I saw on Dr. Oz when they take the fat out they replace it with carbs and sugar!! Our bodies need fat, especially the good fat like EVOO and Avocado. I want to enjoy what I eat or what is the point??I think the low fat or no fat taste funny...and it was just another fad diet at best!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fried foods. I eat all low or nonfat dairy. I prefer almond milk as opposed to cow's milk but when I drink cow's milk I drink horizon organic with added dha.

Oh and I only cook with olive oil, no other oils.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    This article might help you make better choices concerning oils: http://www.truthaboutabs.com/unhealthy-vs-healthy-cooking-oils.html
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil for cooking and salad dressing, have butter on toast if I'm going to have anything (about once every 2 months), use peanut butter (no added anything) on wholegrain bread as a snack.

I don't drink milk, but if I have it in porridge it will be either skim or whole milk, depending what long life milk I have in the cupboard. I buy reduced fat natural (no added sugar or flavours) yoghurt, although if my husband does the shopping he usually buys full fat yoghurt, I'll eat whatever we have and just count the calories.

It is a change in mindset after dieting on and off for most of my adult life and always searching out "low fat" options. I remember being on a list serve in the early 90's which was all about fatfree recipes, which just seems so extreme - and I didn't lose weight!

Now I try to eat real foods (that haven't had too much processing), accept that my body needs good fats, and count the calories!
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat regular everything, sour cream, mayo, yogurt, cheese, etc. Just less of them. I NEVER eat low fat or no fat items....I saw on Dr. Oz when they take the fat out they replace it with carbs and sugar!! Our bodies need fat, especially the good fat like EVOO and Avocado. I want to enjoy what I eat or what is the point??I think the low fat or no fat taste funny...and it was just another fad diet at best!

That is really interesting. I hadn't heart that. I will have to read up more. It makes sense though. I don't generally eat a lot of dairy because of my allergy. I eat regular Tillamook cheese though, that fake cheese makes me ill. I had fat free cream cheese once and nearly gagged from it. So nasty.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Milk: non-fat. I only use it once in a blue, in shakes (usually just use water)
    Yogurt: non-fat
    Cottage-cheese: 2%, but that's mainly because that's what the big tubs at Costco are. haven't bought it in a while though
    Mayo: "lite" mayo. it tastes exactly like regular mayo to me, with less fat. that said, i barely ever use mayo any more
    Olive oil: good ole extra virgin olive oil, full fat. used sparingly on salad, spinach, or a few spritzes on the pan when cooking eggs
    Cheese: regular feta or cheddar, used sparingly in salads or occasionally in omelets.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I choose fat free milk because you don't require full-fat after the age of two, and reducing the fat simply involves skimming the cream from the top. No serious processing.
    I chose reduced fat cheese and cream cheese for the same reason.
    I generally don't need non-stick spray, but it's what I use. Oilve oil has a very low smoke point and the vitamin E is destroyed by heat so I don't care to take in the extra calories without the nutrients.
    I generally get my fat from nuts, fish and grains.
    I eat whole eggs--only the yolk has biotin and lecithin.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Milk: 1%, but I have never had a taste for it and use it mostly for smoothies or chocolate milk.

Cheese, heavy cream, butter, cream cheese: Full fat and in moderation; I mostly eat Swiss because of sodium

Mayonnaise: Full fat Bestfoods (Hellman’s)

Oils: Extra virgin olive oil for most things (including homemade salad dressing); occasionally use walnut oil, sesame oil, and peanut oil; No light oils or cooking sprays

Peanut Butter: Full Fat only

Yogurt: training myself to like it; mostly non-fat Greek but I care more about carbs, sugar and protein content
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I should add, I don't drink milk (do adults, really?!), I only put it in my tea, and occasionally on cereal. I only drink tea and water.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mine varies, but I'd say 90% full fat.

Yogurt: 2% Fage, plain (since that's what my store carries in those single-serving cartons)

Butter: yes please, and make it real and Irish (Kerrygold)

Oil: mostly coconut these days for cooking. Olive oil only for salads (not so great for cooking due to free radicals)

Peanut butter: usually SunButter (full fat, made from sesame seeds). Occasionally natural cashew, almond, or PB - all full fat

Cheese: rarely, but always full fat. And I don't mess around with cheap cheese. Aged cheddar, real parmesan, etc.

Mayo: rarely, but full fat Hellmans

Dressing: Cardini's Caesar - full fat. It's a weakness.

Eggs: the whole thing.
  • allornothinggrl
    Options
    I very rarely have milk but, it would be 1 or 2%...I take vitamin D supplements. I like Smart Banlance milk with the DHA omega 3's.
    I very rarely eat butter, but it would be the real thing...margarine is one molecule off of plastic. This is true, learned it from a dietician!
    I try to bake or use non stick spray...but if I must saute it is in EVOO or and olive oil blend with canola. Anything that stays solid at room temp like butter will do the same inside of your arteries!
    I only eat Chobani greek yogurt! It's wonderful :)
    Like I said before I eat full fat, just less. Moderation is the key.
    I take a 1400mg Fish Oil pill everyday. I just had my cholesterol done and it was 113. My Endocronoligist was very pleased!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't use any artificial fats, and eat full-fat almond butter. Organic Greek extra virgin olive oil to cook with and on salads, and the occasional pat of farm butter to fry an egg on the weekend. Since I get most of my fat from olive oil, I usually choose fat-free greek yogurt. Milk is 1% organic, which tastes like 2% reg. Love it.

I usually go over my fat, but I think that my percentages are messed up. I can't seem to find a good ratio. :(