SUGAR DETOX

Options

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I currently think I'm close to the week 3 goals, but week 2 is holding me back. I can't throw out things like apple sauce and granola bars, cause my mom uses them in the lunches for my brother... So maybe I'll move them to a different cupboard, where I don't always walk past it! Week 4 looks really fun!

But I'm getting ahead of myself! Here's to week one! :drinker:
    In fact, I honestly don't want more than one because I can't handle the sugar.
    NoAdditives... I hear you! I've had weeks of low sugar before, and then it literally hurts when you have it again after a while. That's how it IS making our bodies feel, but we eat so much sugar, that we've become immune to the sensation.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I'm also going to eat clean!
    Goes hand in hand! Good idea!
  • kfister
    kfister Posts: 22
    Options
    Bump. I'm addicted to sugar and carbs. Time to do something about it.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Bump. I'm addicted to sugar and carbs. Time to do something about it.
    Carbs are killer for me too. Bread is my Achilles heel.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I read this online just now, and thought I would share it:

"No more than 40 grams per day for a 2000 calorie diet.
    Remember that the daily limit of 40 grams refers to refined/processed sugars only. There seems to be no limit on natural sugars, however. So, if it's fruits and sugar cane, for which, you're craving, sweet deal."

So, my goal is to try and stay under my 30 gram limit, only counting ADDITIONAL sugar, and not fruits, although I AM going to try and eat about 1-2 fruits/day. I need more veggies, and a wider variety of them.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    all sugar or just refined sugar?

Yes, no fruit? no veggies (like bell peppers)?
  • Steph_135
    Options
    No, yes fruit, yes veggies. :wink:

Sugars from fruit are good. I've had 46 grams of UNWANTED sugars today. :sick:
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    well shoot, Ive been doing that for months then lol
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I gave up added sugars for lent and find that I don't miss them at all.

It's very hard though, because sugar is in everything: bread, sauces, yogurt, bagels, protein bars, granola bars, dried fruit, cereal!!

Totally worth it though. GOOD LUCK!
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options

YES! LOVE fruits and veggies! :bigsmile:
  • lilmommy
    lilmommy Posts: 84
    Options
    Bump
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Nice.. I need to give up yogurt.. I never realized how much sugar was in it UUUUGH
  • nelliemagine
    nelliemagine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump...going to try this!
  • bcdg24
    bcdg24 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Since starting with MFP a couple weeks ago I have mostly cut out added sugars (i did have a half-ice cream sandwich last night, but i budgeted to have that, and it's the first time in a looong time i have eaten something that junky. After i finished it, i realized i didnt need to eat it, and i wont be eating one again for a looong time), but i still end up going over my sugar limit because of the whole wheat bread, carrots, bell peppers, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and occasional fruit or juice in my diet (i try to eat fruit instead of drinking juice when i can, but i only ever drink 100% juice with no added sugar). I have gone through my entire house and tossed out all the products with added sugar/refined sugar/sugar substitutes, keeping only a box of Splenda with fiber, a bag of white sugar and confectioner's sugar for baking, and a package of chocolate chips in the freezer (to be used for potty training incentives for my 2-year-old and infrequent baking projects; i promise i dont eat them!).
    Lately, I've been adding Nature Valley crunchy granola bars to my diet because i need the calories, and they are free at work (i have a very small grocery budget), and they have some good things in them, too.
    I'm not sure how to do things any differently, but I want to make sure I lose the love affair with sweets, because diabetes is common in the adults in my family. I am healthy and dont have it now, but i want to stay that way and set a good example for my babies (2 and 9 months)!
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I'm still going strong! :happy: Only fruit sugars today so far, and no plans of any granola. :bigsmile:

bcdg24... Good job getting rid of those sugars! (I would have tossed Splenda first. I've been dissing it for a few days on MFP).
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I've kind of been wanting sugar today, so I've gotta watch it here on day 2. (Only day 2?) I'm gonna go have some berries, and hope it helps!
  • Steph_135
    Options
    How's everyone doing? Anyone still out there?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    you are awfully brave right before Easter!
    Word!
  • ShottleZia
    Options
    Nice.. I need to give up yogurt.. I never realized how much sugar was in it UUUUGH

Don't give up yogurt! Just look for ones that don't have artificial sugars in them. Milk contains natural sugars, so there's always going to be some sugar.

A body needs natural calcium. Also, dairy products in general help with weight loss.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have to stay away from sugar and MSG because, for me, they are appetite stimulants. I proved this to myself again recently when I had a piece of cake for my birthday...and a few other simple carb treats. The next day, I couldn't stop thinking about food. Even though I was eating normally, I was hungry and pestered by cravings for sweets, but I was determined to detox, so I didn't have any sugar. The day after that, I was so hungry, I ate all my calories before noon, then ended up eating another 400 for dinner...still no sugar or simple carbs. The third day was easier, and the by the fourth I was back to a normal appetite/hunger pattern with no obsessive cravings.

I wouldn't have made it through those three days without sugar if I didn't believe there was an end to the torture in sight.

For years I tried the "everything in moderation" approach, and the "don't deprive yourself, or you'll end up on a binge" philosophy. That was all wrong for me. I had someone tell me "It's not your fault, it's your body's reaction to sugar that is making you out of control." I cried. It was such a relief having someone acknowledge what I knew all along - that my overeating was beyond my control - that there was a force out there that would always be stronger than me. I cried because someone believed me, and wasn't accusing me of making excuses for myself, or accusing me of being weak or negative or irresponsible or lazy or gutless.

She told me that if I gave up sugar (and simple carbs) it would be miserable for a few days, after which I would be on a level playing field with "normal" people who had self control around food. She was right, and that simple truth has changed my life.

Was it worth the birthday cake? Yeah, probably, but I don't want to do it again for a long, long time!