whey first thing

Options
Should I have a whey protein shake frist thing when I get up the next day or drink it only after workouts

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with having a shake for breakfast. My first meal of the day is a whey shake.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    totally ok, especially if you're on the run. i would recommend adding in some carbs such as fruit or oatmeal.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have it in the morning with breakfast, a little bit after I workout, and sometimes a little before bed - trying to sub this one with cottage cheese.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    so theres nothing wrong with more than one shake a day?
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I eat mine wheneva. :-D Post workout with a fruits or somethin yes, but I also love it in my oatmeal in the morning mmm.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have it in the morning with breakfast, a little bit after I workout, and sometimes a little before bed - trying to sub this one with cottage cheese.

I've heard this one before. Why cottage cheese and why right before bed? What's the benefit?
  • rivlong
    rivlong Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I normally have one for first thing, and then try and have something like oatmeal with some yogurt, natural wheat bran and a seed/dried fruit sprinkle an hour later. But the protein shake often keeps me feeling satisfied till lunch time so then I'll just have the shake in the morning.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I have two whey protein shakes every day!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Whey protein (from shakes) doesn't have to be digested, just absorbed, so it may not keep you full enough if used as a meal replacement. Unless I have absolutely no time (or desire) to make breakfast I only have a whey protein shake after working out. If I use it as a meal replacement I find I'm hungry pretty soon after.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

I've heard this one before. Why cottage cheese and why right before bed? What's the benefit?

Cottage cheese contains casein protein which is slow-digesting, making it ideal for right before bed, where it will digest slowly while you sleep.
  • Tammysueless
    Options

Is it because muscles repair most when you sleep?
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Whey protein (from shakes) doesn't have to be digested, just absorbed, so it may not keep you full enough if used as a meal replacement. Unless I have absolutely no time (or desire) to make breakfast I only have a whey protein shake after working out. If I use it as a meal replacement I find I'm hungry pretty soon after.

I think in order to be a "meal replacement" it should contain significant carbs. Just plain old whey powder + water is not what I would call a "meal", really.

Regardless, I agree with you that they don't really keep me as full as a real-food meal does.
  • rivlong
    Options

Cottage cheese contains casein protein which is slow-digesting, making it ideal for right before bed, where it will digest slowly while you sleep.

I was having cottage cheese for a while last thing too, but I keep forgetting to buy it! In your opinion is it better to have natural cottage cheese or the low fat stuff? Or do you not think it makes much difference?
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I have whey protein shakes whenever! Post-workout always, sometimes I'll drink one just to make up some calories and add more protein when I fall a little short. They are great.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I was having cottage cheese for a while last thing too, but I keep forgetting to buy it! In your opinion is it better to have natural cottage cheese or the low fat stuff? Or do you not think it makes much difference?

I haven't bought it in a while either. Actually I got a little spooked by the high sodium that most brands have. When I do buy it, I buy a low fat or non-fat one. But if you have room for the fat in within your daily nutrient goals, then there's nothing wrong it going full-fat.
  • rivlong
    Options
    Cheers, wow though, I didn't expect it to be high in sodium. Just had a quick look at the sodium for cottage cheese on the database but its so variable I don't think it's very accurate, will have to check it out next time I go shopping.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

I haven't bought it in a while either. Actually I got a little spooked by the high sodium that most brands have. When I do buy it, I buy a low fat or non-fat one. But if you have room for the fat in within your daily nutrient goals, then there's nothing wrong it going full-fat.

Friendship brand cottage cheese has NO SALT ADDED! Only 60 mg per serving! It does take some getting used to the taste, but not bad at all. I find it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator section - under all the more well-known cottage cheeses!

And yes - I will often have a whey shake for breakfast and one after my work-out. It does not HURT to have two a day! I've never done three...
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options

To go along with this... one of my trainers suggested PB before bed- when training heavily and watching carbs this prevents your body from using muscle as fuel to recover.... So this could also apply with what Taso is explaining here.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ^^^ that's what I was trying to get at. Sounded like Taso is saying protein from cot rage cheese lasts longer in the system and I was like...well, why is that good? Thanks!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To go along with this... one of my trainers suggested PB before bed- when training heavily and watching carbs this prevents your body from using muscle as fuel to recover.... So this could also apply with what Taso is explaining here.

Agreed 100%. I have peanut butter with a scoop of casein every night before bed.