What works the best?

Options
Okay so when I go to the gym IDK what will work the best. Running or eliptical or weights or bike. Will someone tell me what worked/works for you :)

Replies

• starrieeyedkat
    Options
    I've heard the elliptical isn't really worth it, you don't get much of a workout. I'd go for treadmill, stairmaster or bike if you're looking for a cardio workout and weights if you're looking to build muscle/strength.
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like to do 20 minutes Elliptical, 20 minutes bike, and 15-20 minutes of weights. I found that to work the best for me and I don't get bored!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    the treadmill did great to take off the fat for the first 8 months, then I switched and used an eliptical Precor 100 with recripocal handles/arms and it really really helped reduce my waist........I lost lots of fat off of my waist and the strange part, Ive never done a sit up........go figure

again, Im male, 56 and medium to large frame build, so this could vary for you......also

when you use the Eliptical, increase the resistance as you get used to it....again, my waist went from a 52 to a 34 with no sit ups...........Best wishes, Lloyd
  • alanahecker
    Options
    a combo of strength training and cardio. you burn more calories during cardio but strength training keeps your metabolism elevated for longer. And muscle burns wayyyy more calories at rest than fat, which doesn't at all. Intensity is key, so during cardio it's good to get your heart rate at about 70-85% your maximum heart rate. you can calculate this by:

220-age, then multiply by 0.7-0.85 to get your percentage.

Hope this all helps
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical for 20 minutes, do weights for 20 minutes and then more elliptical. Works for me.
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    starrieeyedkat - I'd have to disagree with you about the elliptical. It's tough and a hard workout, I think it works better for me to get my heart rate up, it is easier on the knees too, plus you can also go backwards. Treadmills are good too. The bike is GREAT also, you can really burn calories riding a bike. But like the other's say, you need to strength train too.

Why don't you just try them all to see which you feel more comfortable with and like. Try all the cardo machines, and then try the track. Also classes are a very fun way to workout. Check out all the classes your gym offers, you might find you love kickboxing and spinning!

Good luck and keep moving!

Kelly
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I think what will really work the best is to vary your workout with all your options. When you do any exercise too often your body becomes very good at it and more efficient. Switching it up from time to time keeps the burn going.
  • livraynesmom
    Options
    While I don't LOVE any machine, I say variety is key. I usually warm up with 20 minutes on the elliptical, the go to the rower and do either 6,000 rows or 30 minutes, whichever occurs first (usually the 30 minutes! LOL) and then I go to the ARC trainer for another 20. However, the other day I did the ARC trainer for 45 minutes straight and while I thought it would never end, it gave me a GREAT workout. I like it much better than the elliptical or the stairclimber.

When I'm not doing a "gym" day, I run outdoors for 2.5 to 3.5 miles. I need to incorporate weights, but I hate the layout of our gym. It's a meat market and I'm not into that at all. What I'd REALLY like to try is doing a kettle bell work out, but can't find anyone that will teach me proper form and a good sequence. I don't want to throw my back out the first time, which I think I would do.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Change it up! I only run outside because I'm too cheap to pay for a gym. But going between them all- it can't hurt :smile:
  • brandy2076
    brandy2076 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to go on the treadmill for 30 mins then the bike for 30-40 mins then do some weights (alternate between arms, legs and abs) and then I walk a mile. It was great. Now I am able to do the stairmaster for an hour and then weights and then a mile for cool down. I have really upped my burned calories with the stairmaster.
  • brandy2076
    brandy2076 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to go on the treadmill for 30 mins then the bike for 30-40 mins then do some weights (alternate between arms, legs and abs) and then I walk a mile. It was great. Now I am able to do the stairmaster for an hour and then weights and then a mile for cool down. I have really upped my burned calories with the stairmaster.
  • ride_hard
    Options
    IMO, intensity is more important than time spent. Circuits work best for me. For example, warmup 5-8 on a stationary cycle, ramp up to a mild sweat, then 20 secs on&10secs off x4 on a treadmill with incline (as you feel comfortable, and you have to hold on to the handle bars, and get your feet up to speed!! -- leave the treadmill on as you move through your weight exercises -- my gym is very understanding about this sort of thing!), at a high rate (ie 5, 6, 8mph or higher as you get more fit), keeping up high intensity 2 separate weight exercises. (one lap) Do 3, later 4. (one circuit complete) Do 3 similar circuits of high cardio and weights. (later do 4) 45-50 minutes. Have a shower.

Jim W
  • psilva78227
    psilva78227 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually start with the treadmill for about 20. Then I do weight machines for about 30. Finish up with Elliptical for about 20 more. I also like to throw in a day or two of swimming/walking laps in the pool each week. Water is a great way to exercise. :happy:
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've heard the elliptical isn't really worth it, you don't get much of a workout. I'd go for treadmill, stairmaster or bike if you're looking for a cardio workout and weights if you're looking to build muscle/strength.

:laugh: LOL:laugh: - Girl, if your saying this you obviously have never tried it!!!! :happy: I thought the same thing.....Oh that looks easy, I'll do the elliptical for a change......I ALMOST DIED!!! Well, not quite but close! I barely made it 10 minutes the first time!! Much tougher than it looks, burns a ton of calories and is especially great for people who can't put a lot of strain on their knees!!
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I usually walk on the treadmill at 4mph for about 30 minutes and then do weights. I have a hate relationship with the elliptical right now but I'll probably start back on that in a couple weeks once I get bored of the treadmill. I really like the bikes also. Sometimes I'll do yoga at home and then go do weights at the gym or vice versa. You just have to find what works for you!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I get bored easily so it is hard for me to stay on one machine for a long time. I usually do 3 intervals on the tread (5 min warm up, 1 min at 4, 1 min at 4.5, then 5, then 6, then 6.5, then back down) and then switch to the elliptical and do about 15 mins there. I find it is harder to get my heart rate up on the elliptical (because i don't push myself) but it is pretty easy to keep my heart rate up. I have also started doing a spinning class, which is wicked hard, but I love it. During class, the instructor drives the pace and resistance, so I am constantly being challenged out of my comfort zone.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Diversity will keep you at the gym and working out for longer. However, I will say in the beginning, not being used to too much exercise the treadmill was killer on the knees and ankles. I found the elliptical to be a better start and it forces you to do full body cardio. Your arms are going and you use your core to stay balanced and keep moving. But to be honest, initially I could do about 5-10minutes of it. It was ok, because I would do 5-10 minutes of strength after, then walk for 5-10 minutes on the treadmill. I could later increase the time.

Overall, I would have to vote for elliptical.