For those who have lost a lot of weight...

Options
Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought, "Oh my God. Who is that?" It happened to me twice yesterday and once today. I teared up a little. I don't recognize myself anymore. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing because it really freaked me out.

Replies

• pooma
    pooma Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just getting started here, so, no. But EXTREMELY proud of YOU!!!!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds and didn't recognize the new me in pictures. But I stayed at my low weight for years and fell in love with the camera for the first time in my life. People started describing me as "very photogenic." Now, after putting on almost 60 pounds several years later (and working at taking it off again--I've got 30 more to go), I don't recognize the heavier me in photographs. I guess I learned to identify with that "skinny" me. I'd like to get her back again. She was wonderful even though I didn't fully appreciate her at the time. Trust me, before you know it you'll get used to the new you and will really start loving it. Just give yourself some time :)

Congratulations to you! Well done. Keep up the fight :)
  • GrowOrDie
    GrowOrDie Posts: 42
    Options
    Yes! All the time. I am going to scan pics later tonight so everyone can see just where I came from. All the blood sweat and tears are worth it when the jerk from High School trys to get your number! I am sooo stinking proud of you!!! Great job! You deserve all the praise you get! xo
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet! You're such an inspiration! You look great!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Umm yeah I have had those moments. Especially when I see a shot that is a body shot. It can be unnerving sometimes but still good.
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 21 pounds so far so I haven't run across your dilemma, but I sure will be glad when I do. You should be so very proud of what you have accomplished and you will begin recognizing your new body before long. Congrats!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Yep, I've lost 100lbs. (currently fighting a regain). When I first was on my way down, it took me years, yes YEARS, for me to realize what size I was. You asked whether it was a good thing or bad thing. That depends, on a few things. If time goes on and on and you still think you are 295 lbs still, that could be a bad thing. I ended up with body dismorphic disorder. It is a geniune disorder, a lot of anorexic's have it. I had it when I was big, 245, and didn't know I was that big. I lost a 100lbs and had it then too. I thought I was still 245. I could look in the mirror and I would see 245 lb Marci staring back at me, (when I was only 145.) I've had some regain (25 lbs) over my goal weight, and it's reared it's ugly head once more. I am 188 and really don't have a clear image of what size I am. I feel huge!!
    So, this can be serious if it continues. Give yourself a chance to adjust, a few months maybe. Then if you are still, for instance....getting WAY out the way for people to walk by (remembering how space you used to take up) or checking chairs to see if they will hold you up, etc. You know the behaviors of someone being a larger person. If you still look in the mirror and you yourself at 295 for an extended amount of time, get some counseling. It's a slippery slope, it can lead to anorexia. It takes awhile to get used to being a much smaller person. Keep an eye on it , hon! Hope I haven't scared you too much!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Awww....Don't tear up!! You look fantastic! and I am soo soo proud that we are friends!
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    I haven't had this occur to me. Closest I have come is walking by someone and having them not recognize me. Only thing I can tell you is to take this as a positive awakening and use it to fuel the rest of your weight loss and maintenance. Lose it slow, steady, and safe. Remember where you come from but have pride in where you are going.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm only 1/3 of the way to my goal, but this has already happened to me, a little bit. My sister-in-law posted a bunch of pictures from a b-day party on Facebook and I was in a few of them. For the first time in, I don't know, YEARS, I didn't cringe when I saw myself in the pictures. There were no double chins, not fat rolls pulling my shirt taught around my stomach - I mean, I still have a way to go, and I still look like *me*, but seeing pictures of myself on Facebook used to bring on an anxiety attack! And the other day I was at the gym, I glanced up and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I just had to stop and look, I couldn't believe the difference I suddenly see in my body. When I think of how much I weigh I automatically think "260" when actually I am only around 216, and I often wonder when it will sink in that I'm not 260lbs anymore (and I never will be, again), so I do understand where you are coming from!

You have made astounding progress and you look so fantastic! Congrats :)
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I haven't lost THAT much, but I was going through my camera (and found some old photos of myself) when I started on my weight-loss journey for the umpteenth time. And for the first time I was like: "WOW I looked terribly fat back then". I suppose it was a wake up call (especially to the times I complain about looking the same). I really have changed, even if I don't always notice it.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I'm still not used to it, even being at my goal weight (135) for a year now. I walk past store windows and don't recognize my reflection. It's weird, but I like it obviously lol. The other interesting thing that came with this loss was how strong outdoor wind can effect me now, haha! Seriously, the other day there was a big storm, I was outside pumping gas, and was having a hard time standing! It was embarassing... but a proud moment :wink:

Keep up the awesome moment, girly!