Can't stay motivated

Options
Idk what's up with me lately...one day I'll be so pumped to exercise and the next im just like "blah". My biggest problem is i know that im overweight but in my mind im not overweight at all. That's an issue for me and i can't talk to my bf about this stuff because i have about as much confidence as a rock and i always say "oh tomorrow i'll start eating better" but i never do...so it's come to either actually eat right or don't eat at all and just smoke when i get hungry.I just need help and some motivation.My bf has already lost like 30lbs and im stuck were i've been.I can't even go running outside without the thought of anyone who sees me is thinking "oh look at the fatty run" i take walks when its nice out but i really wanna jog and i dont do that outside.i'll do it through my house.So if anyone out there has any advie for a 20 year old girl on the breaking point of just starving herself please say what you have to say because i want to lose at least 40lbs by this summer or fall.

Replies

• spirited_angel
    Options
    Hi hun,you seem very down!!First thing to remember is to set yourself obtainable goals,like 1-2lb a week!!this will also help to keep it off when you get to your goal weight!!Try and buy yourself some dvd's ect biggest loser dvd is a good one!!Also the zumba for the wii is good!!You also have to remember that most ppl at a gym ect have been where you are everyone is there for teh same things its just everyone is at a differen t level of there fitness hun!!You could get yourself a weighted hula hoop they are great and good fun too!!Or kettlebell but get a dvd too so that you know how to use it!!One of the ebst ways also is to swim!!And not to beat yourself up if ya do slip up and have a choccy bar,but think ok i had that now back to it!!!It is difficult esp when ya have no-one to talk to but now your on here im sure you will get lots of support and help hun,feel free to add me if ya like ok
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    You need a workout buddy. I'm sure you can find at least one girlfriend who will go to the gym or a walk with you.

Keep in mind we alllllll feel like that (some of us every other day!) I would never go to the gym if my sister didn't drag me there.

Otherwise, come here, post that you don't want to workout today, and we'll be your pushy buddies!
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you let yourself make excuses. Try just forcing yourself to get passed the way you feel about some things and keep looking forward. Stay focused. If you bf is losing weight too then you have a good support system and he understands and you have it easier than if he were saying "why dont you eat this with me?" or "why do you have to go work out just stay here with me". That kind of bf would make it harder. I think you are still very young so you are too worried about what other people think of you, like with you going running. Who cares what they think or say (odds are they wont even think twice about you running) if it still bothers you then just go walking until you lose some weight and feel more comfortable running. If someone thinks you are too "fat" to run then screw 'em. At least you are running. At least you are trying. Stand up to your own self, and stop letting your high body image prevent you from the truth. You want to work out you want to get healthy, so just do it. I understand this all to well I even posted my own thread about it, I have a good self image and high self esteem and I don't feel fat I feel pretty I like myself... yet I am forcing myself to realize even though I like myself, I still am over weight and can't keep using that as an excuse. And every time I eat right or work out, I feel even better about myself. Think of it this way, if you like yourself now, imagine how much you will love yourself when you are thinner and more healthy? You can do it. It gets easier the longer you try. So just start trying. Thats the best you can do.
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    Thanks so much, I actually have the zumba dvd's somewhere. Have to get them out and actually get my 70 bux worth lol But it is hard no really having anyone to talk to about this.All my friends are in Oio were i'm originally from and i can't even talk to them about it.I kind of just keep all this bottled up inside and don't ever talk about it or anything. But it feels really good to actually kinda let it out or something. I just idk i feel like because i dont see results as fast as i want that what i do isn't paying off and i know thats crazy because you have to give it time for the results to start showing.But thanks for replying, :)
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice to you would to be stop worrying what other people might think of you. If you want to jog outside then jog outside. Don't let anyone or anything stop you. If someone thinks negatively about you doing what you need to do to better yourself that is totally their problem, don't make it yous as well.

If you are doing exercises that you actually like, I think you will be much more motivated. Personally I've gotten to the point where I love going to the gym.
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for what you had to say...like i said it's hard not knowing anyone up here and having all my friends live 4 hours away.But if you ever think im slacking...tell me lol i like the hard motivation...my bf was thinking about joining the marines so im gunna get the courage to talk to him and have him help me with my stuff
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stars, I understand your fear of jogging outside because of your own insecurity. I had the same problem. For years, I kept saying, "I wish I could be a jogger" and one of my best friends had already begun jogging. However, I thought - I'm bigger than her and I will look silly and people will talk or whisper about me. So, for at least a year, I resisted going out to jog with her.

Then, one day, I got the courage to ask her to come jog with me at a location that I chose, near me, that seemed sort of private. She did and the first day was hard. But, I was so proud of myself. Then, she asked me to come jog with her at a park near her house. I still felt a little silly, but my small success on the first day gave me the courage to say "yes." That timid "yes" has turned into a routine jog every Saturday with my friend.

When I first started, I could only take about 20 steps, then I was panting and wanting to stop. But, I decided to take a balanced approach. I watched my friend and used her success to set goals for me. Of course, my goals were different from hers. I just told myself each week, I want to run a little farther than last week. Now, although I'm still jogging very slowly, I am running up to 9 miles when we meet at a public trail where lots of people are also walking, jogging, and sprinting. And you know what? All those people I thought would look at me and make fun... it does not happen. People who exercise understand the importance of exercise and as we pass each other, we nod, smile, and say hello - without any judgment of how anyone else is running. Now, I actually prefer running on natural trails with other people. It makes the run more interesting and enjoyable than just running on the treadmill (which I also do for short runs). And, as far as the people driving past me on the road, my motto is: well, I'm running more than they are. :)

So, find your own encouragement. I am so glad I found the courage to say "yes" that one day in the past. It has made a huge difference in my life. Although you can allow your friend's success to motivate you, set your own course of action and be proud of each of your accomplishments - even the very small one which may be going for a walk and mixing in a couple of jogging moments. Perhaps that will make the start less scary.

In any case, I wish you the best. :wink: