Is my reccomended calorie intake correct ??

Options
Hey guys, I'm reasonably new to this site and it's saying I should aim for 1200 calories a day but other websites say the normal intake for women my age is around 1900, any advice ??

Replies

• Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1200 is the recommended calorie intake if your goal is to lose 1.5 pounds a week. It's the least amount of calories your body needs before it starts eating muscle for nutrients so be sure you don't eat under it. Also, if you work out you can eat those calories so you gain more eating room.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    ya know what i do..i go to 3 or 4 sites, and average them out, and use the average..best of luck
  • LorrieT66
    Options
    The 1200 might reflect how much you should eat to lose the amount you wanted to lose (what you entered when you first logged in). For example, it told me if I wanted to lose a pound a week, I needed to stick to 1800 calories, based on my height and weight. To lose 1 1/2 pounds per week, I'm eating 1500 per day. If I wanted to lose 2 lbs per week, it told me I'd need to stick to 1200 calories...
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Actually the site always give 1200 calorie almost to everyone.
    One of my friend recommend this MFP site, and funny thing is that I am 5.9 181 lbs and she is about 5.6 and almost same weight like I, but for both of us the recommended calorie input is 1200 cal isn't that weird for anyone or maybe the problem is with me :)))

Try this site: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • siobherz
    siobherz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey, i had the same thing exactly and i ended up sticking to it big time and getting no results, im after chaging it to 1500 and now finally seeing some difference, but everyone's different so you can experiment and spend some time on different calorie targets, like 2 weeks at 1200 and 2 weeks at 1400 or something, until you find what works for you. Good luck :D x
  • fi_518
    fi_518 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys !!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The site told me 1700. Then again if you are like me and was getting over 3000 a day anything lower than what I was is better.
  • fi_518
    fi_518 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think when I first signed up, I said I wanted to lose the 2.0 lbs per week because I figured that is just under 1kg and I thought people generally said that losing 1kg a week is considered healthy weight loss? Unfortunately I'm really not sure what I was having before I started this though, I would just eat snacks and have softdrink etc whenever I felt like it . . .
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    MFP only uses your BMR, activity level that you enter and how much you want to lose per week to figure out your calorie allowance. It DOES NOT account for any exercise you do... until you DO IT and log it. Most other sites give you more calories expecting you to exercise X minutes per day. So on MFP the more you exercise the more you get to eat. The lowest MFP will assign is 1200 because that is the suggested lowest a healthy female go in order to KEEP healthy. There are many posts "stick pinned" at the beginning of the message board that may help you understand more how MFP works.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Actually the site always give 1200 calorie almost to everyone.
    One of my friend recommend this MFP site, and funny thing is that I am 5.9 181 lbs and she is about 5.6 and almost same weight like I, but for both of us the recommended calorie input is 1200 cal isn't that weird for anyone or maybe the problem is with me :)))

Try this site: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Thanks for sharing this site!!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Glad to help. It took me almost a month to change my habits and eat enough calorie to be able to do my exercises and burn afterward some fat :)
  • whiskih
    whiskih Posts: 1
    Options
    My Doctor put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet and told me to walk 2 to 3 miles a day. i am 3 1/2 weeks post op from neck surgery and have insulin dependent type 2 diabetis and hypertension. It is working great in 4 days I have already lost 10.2 pounds. He said never ever go below 1200 calories or your body goes into starvation mode and weight lose becomes very difficult.