Pathetic ...

Options
today is my first day .... I knew I was out of shape but wow, am I feeling pathetic right now!!
I just did my first "exercise" on the treadmill and lasted 10 mins ... how horrible is that?!?!
Please tell me it gets better!! I was aiming for 20-30 mins per day of at least brisk walking on the treadmill to start out!!!

Replies

• LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    today is my first day .... I knew I was out of shape but wow, am I feeling pathetic right now!!
    I just did my first "exercise" on the treadmill and lasted 10 mins ... how horrible is that?!?!
    Please tell me it gets better!! I was aiming for 20-30 mins per day of at least brisk walking on the treadmill to start out!!!

It gets better. If you want it to. If you don't quit. If you stick with it. If you .............
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It'll get better, just don't give up!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My first work out was about 10 mins too. A month and 5 days later I can do an hour on the elliptical. It does get better!!! Stick with it. :)
  • lisapickering
    Options
    It gets better! You have to start somewhere. Next workout aim for 11 minutes :smile:
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options

It gets better. If you want it to. If you don't quit. If you stick with it. If you .............

It gets better!!!!! Every hill always has a beautiful view to look at once you climb to the top. But like LaJauna said...you have to stick with it.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I set a simple goal for myself when I started. I could hardly do five minutes on the eliptical. So I would do the five I could, and then the next time I would try for five more. Now I can do 30 minutes no problem. On the treadmill I can do waaaay more, but I'm not running, I typically go at 3.0 or a little faster, but never a run.

You can do it! Good luck!
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    it gets better...

but why don't you stick with it and find out for yourself! : )
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Keep trying! Go again tomorrow for 10 mins, or 12 mins :smile:

then go the next day for 12 or 13 mins

take a break once a week (or more if you are really, REALLY tired... but once is good enough for many of us)

as long as you keep going, keep pushing yourself, you WILL improve, and you WILL become healthier from this :smile:
  • tolleirrigon
    Options
    It will get better, don't worry so much about the speed, just walk! That's a great place to start...
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Exercise is 50% willpower. Psych yourself out. Say you'll go for 15 minutes twice a day. Then go up to jogging speed for just a minute - but if you're feeling okay after than minute, do another. Don't settle for 40 seconds. Things like that. Mini-goals get me through all my workouts.
    I promise it gets better! Just keep working at it. If you want, programs such as 200situps and 100pushups are designed to work with your ability level. You could try them out :)
  • Kjandcuttysmom
    Kjandcuttysmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It really does get better. I haven't been running in a while nor have I exercised lately but when I first started running I would have to run one minute then walk five then run one then walk five and so on until I was able to run and run without stopping. Believe me, the more you do it, the easier it is. Good luck.
    Shine
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It does get better. Just don't lose hope! And don't forget any effort is better than no effort!
  • stephenrobnett
    Options
    Slow and steady, it does get better. It takes a while to build up your strength, be patient.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    It gets better! You'll eventually get to the point where your body craves exercise! Stick with it, set attainable goals, and work your butt off!! Good luck!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee... and when I first started out, 30 seconds on the bike was all I could do before the pain was overwhelming. Today I did 120 minutes on the bike. It gets better... but pace yourself. Too much too soon, and you might give up. Set a reasonable goal and believe in yourself.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    its gets better... i can last almost an hr on the elliptical.. just take it slow and before you know it ur flying thru it..
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    do you have your own treadmill? If so you can try doing what I do. I have trouble staying on my elliptical for more than 15-20min at a time. So what I do is crank up resistance and go for 10-15min several times a day. You still burn those calories while splitting up your workout at least until you can stay on longer. It has worked for me. I've lost 3lbs just this week doing just that and of course keeping my calorie count in check.
    You are not pathetic, you're just a beginner. Don't give up, even those 10min are good. keep it up.
  • skillen
    skillen Posts: 8
    Options
    don't beat yourself up....you started out today and you know you haven't done this excersizing thing for a long while (I'll assume). It's always a slow start and you get better everyday.
  • dogluvr73
    dogluvr73 Posts: 17
    Options
    Im the same way, it gets easier, I can do an hour on the treadmill as long as Im not bored, so I have to have music or a tv I do light intervals of running at 6mph for 30 seconds.. Take it one day at a time. I just started this eating healthy and I cut back on my soda which was so hard for me and I am still craving it. You will do great
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the response but I will say that everyone has to start somewhere!