Exercising with Fibromyalgia

Options
I have fibromyalgia, which is a disorder that causes extreme pain throughout my body. I also have chronic severe migraines with residual muscle weakness and tremor as well as chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm trying to find a way to incorporate a bit of exercise into my day to try to regain a big of strength and some pain relief along with weight loss. It seems the more active I get though, the worse the pain and muscle spasm gets. Does anyone have any ideas for me or any experience in dealing with fibromyalgia and CFS. Any help would be so appreciated.

Replies

• EcoGal
    EcoGal Posts: 9
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, which is a disorder that causes extreme pain throughout my body. I also have chronic severe migraines with residual muscle weakness and tremor as well as chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm trying to find a way to incorporate a bit of exercise into my day to try to regain a big of strength and some pain relief along with weight loss. It seems the more active I get though, the worse the pain and muscle spasm gets. Does anyone have any ideas for me or any experience in dealing with fibromyalgia and CFS. Any help would be so appreciated.
  • scottishfruitbat
    Options
    Hi

You could try some Aloe Vera Heat Lotion and also the Forever HA tablets. I'm getting really good results with these products. Whereabouts do you live?

Gina
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    I just did a Google search for "fibromyalgia, exercise", and came up with lots of sites with lots of information. Common ideas were walking, swimming, yoga.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Aquafitness?
  • nibiki
    nibiki Posts: 3
    Options
    I have M.S. and struggle with some of the same issues including pain, spasticity, and severe fatigue.

I've been going to the gym steadily for about a month, now. I love to swim, and it doesn't carry the same pain I experience in other higher impact workouts. A little over a month ago, I had severe pain with just walking, and was pretty sure I'd have to be using some sort of walking assistance soon.
    After just a few weeks of strengthening my muscles with swimming, (laps and kickboard) I've been able to move up to some elliptical and even treadmill workouts as well as weight training. I think that the muscles are actually able to handle more exercises now that they are becoming stronger. It's pretty amazing how exercise can change things.

I like swimming and water aerobics, and some light strength training and yoga would probably also be beneficial. It's been working for me. I also like to stretch in the hot tub after my workout, and it's so rewarding. :) You might try talking to a personal trainer at your local gym. They no doubt have experience with customizing workouts for people with all kinds of health problems.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Start very, very slowly. Going from inactivity to exercise will exhaust you. Here's my experience at first, without exageration: I had to schedule at least two hours for exercise: Which at first was 10 minutes on the treadmill followed by a nap.

A therapuetically heated pool would help you (google your local Y and see if they offer an arthritis aquafitness class, which should be held in a warm pool.) A non-heated pool will cool your body off too much, and could lead to more pain.

Gentle yoga would help, but a lot of gym yoga classes are more strenuous than they look.

So, my big advice is to start very, very slowly. But start! Moving even just a little bit every day will help with the soreness.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.quackwatch.com/03HealthPromotion/fibromyalgia/fms01.html

Here's a link with some good ideas, as well. :flowerforyou:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have Fibro....you can message me and we'll discuss.:happy:
  • EcoGal
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful support and suggestions. I can tell this is going to be a great community to belong to. The aquafitness is a great idea but I find it seems to increase my weakness. I'm going to give it one my try though if I can find someone to help me who knows what they are doing. I'll try out all of your other suggestions as well.

Thank you, thank you thank you!:flowerforyou: ::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • EcoGal
    Options
    Hi

You could try some Aloe Vera Heat Lotion and also the Forever HA tablets. I'm getting really good results with these products. Whereabouts do you live?

Gina

I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I did my Master's Thesis on this exact topic if you're interested. Go to Ohiolink.edu and search my name... my mom has had FMS for over 15 years so I have learned a lot just growing up around it. My sports medicine background has come in handy in recent years! SLOW is the key. Don't give up, you can do it!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kckat96
    kckat96 Posts: 72
    Options
    :happy: I wish you luck and great health. You might try Tai Chi. I am an instructor and I have found that many of my students have receive great benifits from doing tai chi. It can be as slow as you need it to be. It can be done from a sitting position and it can be modified to fit your needs. A great site to order a video is http://www.taichiproductions.com/ I would start with the video Tai Chi for Arthritis. Positive Thoughts....hugs from kckat96
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    yoga/pilates ...almost everyday...is a life saver.