Any other nurses or people who work long shifts?

Options
Having two jobs with 12 hour shifts is hard. I get one MAYBE two days off a week and I have a hard time finding time to work out because im so tired all the time. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Serasha
    Serasha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I, too, sometimes work 10 and 12 hour shifts. Here's what I do: when I'm heading down the hall, I run! It really gives me great exercise. I also choose to squat down to pick things up if I drop something or if I need something off of a low shelf. That's the best way I can fit exercise into a busy work day, get it in while at work!
  • rosybella9
    rosybella9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a really crazy schedule too. I'm either at work or at school from 6:45 in the morning until 6:30 at night. Then there's dinner and homework. By 8 I'm ready for bed! But... I exercise anyway. I bought an elliptical a few years ago that admittedly sat unloved for about a year and a half. Now I just get on it after I've had a little bit of time to relax.

Honestly, the working out helps me sleep better at night. I sleep more soundly because my body is so tired ;)

If you can get an exercise DVD (30 Day Shred is pretty killer) or use the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors we only see when we're driving to and from work, that'd be a win.

I'd be happy to be a part of your support system if you'd like!

Best of luck on your journey!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I don't work 10s or 12s, but I'm a nurse who works nights! It's exhausting! On my days off, I end up sleeping most of the first day just to recover, and the nights I'm working, I have a hard time connecting with my family or friends because they all work day shift. I feel ya, ladies! Feel free to add me. We can gripe together :happy:
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Dude, you just have to do it. Force yourself, don't even go home, take your clothes to the gym if you belong to one, once you begin to work out you will feel better. I work 7 days a week but only one 12 hour day. I also run up the stairs at the hospital I work at, you may want to take your lunch and go for a walk or run just to get some in while at work, this will rejuvenate you.. Good luck, I know how difficult it can be, but you will feel better once you do I promise.
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm an ER nurse and we work 12 hour shifts and I agree it is very hard to fit in an exercise session after a long 12 hour day. I sometimes use my 30 minute lunch break to scarf food and then walk the track across the street...if I can't make it over there I have been known to walk the parking garage (the incline going up is great, but the decline is even better). Since I work 1st shift I sometimes do an early morning workout...or after work the kids and I go for a long/fast walk. Hope this helps
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse who also works 12 hour shifts. Although I only work 3 a week, but I'm usually very tired after my shifts. I have trouble finding the time and energy to work out. I started doing the couch to 5 k running program. It only requires you to run 3 days a week. I also like the 30day shred. It's a good workout with 3 different levels, and it's only a 20 minute workout so it's easier to fit in to my schedule. I hope something like that helps.
  • groovybeenz
    groovybeenz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hr shifts. I usually try to get in a 15 or 20 minute workout in the morning before I go to work because I know I probably won't if I wait until I get off work.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse and also work 12 hour shifts. I work 5pm-5am. The last month or so I have been going to workout at the gym after I get off work in the morning. I totally understand the being tired all the time. And especially on night shift I feel like I have to eat to help keep me awake. The upside to working out after work is that I get my exercise in for the day and know how many calories I have for the entire rest of the day. The downside is that I'm soooo tired after working out that I feel like a zombie. Do you have any exercise equipment at home? Sometimes I just hop on the treadmill for 15 or 20 minutes at a time, two or three times a day. It all adds up.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, my schedule isn't like that now, but it WAS - when I was in vet school. I would be class ALL day and then there was HOURS of studying to do and a baby to take care of and a husband, and pets!

I agree with another poster - you just HAVE to make time. Put yourself first. I used to get up at 4:00 am to exercise when in vet school, thankfully I don't have to do it that way now. However, I did find that although I was super exhausted at first, I actually found that when I exercised 30 min a day, I had MORE energy and could survive with a little less sleep.

Just try it! The benefits are SO AMAZING for your body!
  • mottles
    mottles Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse working all three shifts, as well as chasing my little rug rats around. We have had two massive earthquakes here in Christchurch in the past six months, the continuing aftershocks don't help the stress levels either. I'm loving MFP and finding it better than Weight Watchers. My loss has been slow but steady which is the best way I guess. Feel free to add me :-)
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work as a Nursing Supervisor, 12 hour overnight shifts, 8p-8a. I am tired but just force myself to go out for a run and I always feel great after. I also do the 100 rep workout in my office minus the crunches and take the stairs. I figure every little bit helps. I also plan my meals and snacks really well so if I need to eat to stay awake I am choosing good things. I've been doing well so far, it's not always easy but I just try to remember all the hard work I have done and don't want to undue any of that. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Could always use a friend that deals with the same issues.
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi, Glad to see there are other shift working nurses out there trying to find a healthier life style. I've been an RN for 37 years and counting. I've worked psychiatry, cardiac medicine, general medicine, oncology and for the last 15 years have been working night shift on a really busy surgical floor. I work full time, 12 hour shifts, 7:30-7:30. I love nursing but its hard to fit in an exercise routine when you're always so tired. I travel about 45 minutes each way to work so it doesn't leave a lot of time to sleep, eat and be social with family and friends.
    I've struggled with a weight problem for most of my adult life and now after 2 knee replacements and degenerating discs in my low back, I've decided its time to make a serious effort at creating a healthy life style for myself. I've been on MFP for about 7 weeks now and am really happy with my success so far. I've got a lot of weight to lose but I'm changing my eating habits and have started walking now that the weather is improving.
    I'd love to offer support and encouragement to others trying to find a way to fit in exercise and good eating habits when our hours are so long. I know I can use all the support I can find. Its going to be a long road and I'd love some company along the way.
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am an RN working 7p-7a 3-4 shifts a week.
    I make sure to get up around 3pm and go straight to the gym. Then a quick health supper. I have no energy after work. I fall right asleep when I get home.
  • kinnurse0754
    Options
    Sounds like a common theme. Too tired after work to work out but not enough time before work. I don't like exercise as a general rule, never have. I'm not one to go to a gym and work out on the equiptment. I wouldn't mind trying an exercise video at home but all the ones I've heard about, I think would be too much for me. My daughter is doing the 30 day shred but she says its brutal. I've started walking but I can't do it when the weather is bad as it hurts the knees too much. Having had both knees replaced makes it difficult to do a lot of things. I can't kneel or do squats and if I get down on the floor, its murder to try to get back up. Anyone have a video suggestion that might work for me??
  • kpadilla411
    Options
    I have a good tip. Help out the CNAs with lifting patients and transferring or other stuff. It helps get in some exercise and burn extra calories. Also there is always tine to do more walking, especially if the unit or hospital is big. Always answer a call light dont rely on another nurse or CNA to answer it, an extra opportunity to stay busy and walk. Or try to eat half your lunch and walk around your other half.
  • kpadilla411
    Options
    Sounds like a common theme. Too tired after work to work out but not enough time before work. I don't like exercise as a general rule, never have. I'm not one to go to a gym and work out on the equiptment. I wouldn't mind trying an exercise video at home but all the ones I've heard about, I think would be too much for me. My daughter is doing the 30 day shred but she says its brutal. I've started walking but I can't do it when the weather is bad as it hurts the knees too much. Having had both knees replaced makes it difficult to do a lot of things. I can't kneel or do squats and if I get down on the floor, its murder to try to get back up. Anyone have a video suggestion that might work for me??

Try swimming
  • kinnurse0754
    Options
    I've had others suggested swimming and I know it wouild be really good for me. Its just finding the time to do it. I have a rec center with a lovely pool in it only 5 minutes away so its just a matter of getting the schedule and finding a time that will work with my work schedule. Wish I had someone close that could do it with me. Its always easier to do things with a buddy. Thats why I find these sites so helpful. Its nice to get the support from others going through the same thing.
  • kinnurse0754
    Options
    Hi All, Hope everyone had a great Easter! I'm heading back into work tonight after being on days off since Friday morning. Got to love my weekends off. I weighed in this morning and am down 3 pounds this week!! Am so happy with my results. I was able to say no to almost all of the sweets my daughter had out for the holiday and counted up all of the "cheats" I had, even though it was only a few. Drank lots of water and walked with the grandkids which counteracted a lot of the bad stuff. I have met my goals for April several days ahead of schedule and am so happy. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Any plans for goals for May??
    I am setting my next goal: I want to hit my 35 pound mark by the end of May and be walking 4-5 days a week. Right now I'm walking every other day. Good luck all.