Spaghetti Serving Question

Options
Okay, so the package says that a serving is 2 ounces. Is that before or after it's been cooked? LOL I weigh it before and it's 2 ounces but afterwards it's more than doubled because of all the water! The package doesn't specify...

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Uncooked
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I always measure before!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Before. A one pound (16 oz) box of pasta has eight 2-oz servings. :-)
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the weight before it's cooked.
  • Adudynski
    Adudynski Posts: 31
    Options
    I would assume it is before cooking.. kind of like how the tbs of popcorn thats a serving equals out to so many cups
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Before it is cooked. Once it is cooked it should yield 3/4 - 1 cup!
  • jennrdrgz22
    jennrdrgz22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had to look this up myself! it's 2 oz. PRE-cooked and it should be a cup cooked :smile: hope this helps!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It is before it is cooked:) You end up with a big serving, enjoy:)
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news! And thanks for all the quick responses!!!
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    Keep in mind that for foods which are intended to absorb moisture, measurements happen prior to the dry good meeting the liquid almost as a rule. There's no telling exactly how much moisture the pasta will absorb, so weight must be taken prior to cooking. :)
  • crosales1
    crosales1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome question!! I've been wondering the same thing.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    always measure everything before. But when it comes to spaghetti and Im trying to watch my carbs I measure after, so I can consume less....but thats just what I do, but the rule of thumb is to measure everyhting including meats before you cook
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I'm glad you asked, cuz I was wondering the same thing. Just went to a thrift store today and picked up a spaghetti measuring tool. Looks like a painter's palette w/ various size holes- 1 oz, 2 oz, etc.
    I suck at "guessing" measurements. hahaha
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked, cuz I was wondering the same thing. Just went to a thrift store today and picked up a spaghetti measuring tool. Looks like a painter's palette w/ various size holes- 1 oz, 2 oz, etc.
    I suck at "guessing" measurements. hahaha

That's really cool, I didn't know they had such a thing. I just use my food scale to weigh it. :)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Well! No wonder my pasta servings have been so measly! I've always measured after it's cooked because I make the whole box (my family eats it too) so 2 oz is like a 1/2 c. I guess I've been cheating myself!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Well! No wonder my pasta servings have been so measly! I've always measured after it's cooked because I make the whole box (my family eats it too) so 2 oz is like a 1/2 c. I guess I've been cheating myself!

No 2 oz uncooked comes up to about 1 cup cooked *close enough* which is roughly 200 calories.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options

No 2 oz uncooked comes up to about 1 cup cooked *close enough* which is roughly 200 calories.

I know...I meant my 2 oz cooked was only 1/2 c...I should have eaten 1 cup or counted half the calories. Live and learn!
  • fi_518
    fi_518 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm such a big pasta fan and I think I probably have too much in a serving - So should 1 serving of pasta be around 1 cup ?? & that's cooked or uncooked ??
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    If you haven't tried the Smart Taste spaghetti, I HIGHLY recommend it. I like the taste better ( sorry I'm NOT a fan of the whole wheat variety <gag> ) tastes even BETTER than regular pasta- and doesn't lay in my stomach like a lead brick.

Compared to Great Value Thin Spaghetti- 2 oz. serving- it's 40 cal. LESS and has 4 grams MORE fiber- roughly same am't carbs.