Help jogging

Options
I am currently training to swim an open water swim ( 1 mile) in July. I can swim a 30 minute mile in the pool. In June I will be on vacation, a road trip for just over two weeks, so I thought if I started jogging I could at least keep up with that while on vacation as to not loose all my stamina before I get back in time to do the swim...anyway, I treid jogging for the first time Friday night and I sucked, it was horrible! I could hardly sustain a jog for longer that 1.5 minutes before I started walking again. I stayed out there for an hour, with the idea I was getting at least 3 miles completed, but I I was really sore the rest of the weekend....any tips on how I can improve on this without killing myself and wanting to give up?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with what you are doing ... run for 1 minute and walk for 2-3 minutes and then just work your way up slowly! :) Starting out with 3 miles off the bat might be a bit far ... but you can do this!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Look at Couch to 5K plans.... they slowly integrate more running with walking until you are running for 30 minutes straight after a few weeks. I just completed this a few weeks ago.... and now run 4 miles a day a few times a week. It's a great plan.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started jogging too, and I was having a really hard time as well. I started out walking 5 minutes, and then running for 1 minute. I am now up to 3 minutes running, 3-4 minutes walking. It's taken about 3-4 weeks. The couch to 5k program really helps. Check it out, and see what you think! I am on week number 4 with plans to do my first 5k May 21st. I also have ambitions to do the swimming part of a triathalon relay in September, with a surgery in July...I'm completely paranoid I won't be able to do the swim. I think you'll be just fine if you do some kind of exercise in place of the swimming. Let me know how it's going! :)
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Completely normal! I use to be a runner and then I had a knee injury and surgery and then as soon as I recovered from that I got pregnant and had to stay off my feet. Now I'm back to ground zero. It's been 3 weeks and I started out walking 5 mins then jogging for 1. I kept this up everyday just adding 5 or 10 more seconds of jogging and decrease the amount of minutes I am walking. I am now doing a 2 min warm up brisk walk and then I can jog for 8 mins then walk for 2 mins then jog for another 5 mins. If you're running on a treadmill you can do it that way or use your playlist. Say you'll jog for one entire song and then walk for another. If you're outside say you'll jog to that mail box or to that tree. Give yourself mini goals. You'll be surprised at how fast you start jogging longer and walking shorter. Good luck. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I know we all can do this!!!

SW 198
    CW 187
    GW1- 180 (june1)
    GW2-170 (sept1)
    Ultimate GW 150 Jan 1 2012!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Swimming is almost all upper body muscle work... eg the 'crawl' is 80% upper 20% lower
    whereas Jogging is almost all lower leg muscles... of course you will need to give yourself time to get used to that
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Also, slow down. If you can do a 30 minute mile, you should definitely have the cardiovascular chops to run. You are probably just running too fast.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This is all great advice, the only thing I would add is to take a look at your shoes. Properly fitting running shoes that are right for your stride and foot shape are a must. Pretty much the only time I get sore from running is when I am in need of new shoes. Whenever your trying something new its going to take a while for your body to adjust. Try not to get frustrated.

Kuddos to you for trying something new, Im a runner and I would like to do a triathlon but I need to get my butt in the pool.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Look at Couch to 5K plans.... they slowly integrate more running with walking until you are running for 30 minutes straight after a few weeks. I just completed this a few weeks ago.... and now run 4 miles a day a few times a week. It's a great plan.

I second this. I love the couch to 5k plan. Worked for me. I got to 5 weeks and I stopped and just did the jog for the whole 30 minutes. Give it a try.
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Awesome comments, thank you all so much!