can't stop craving sugar!

Options
2»

Replies

• mamma3monkeys
    Options
    mostly for me, it's worse when I'm stressed, AF is on her way, or I had some sugar earlier. It's hard... I go work out, journal, nap... I eat fruit but chewing sugar free gum makes me crave. A really good thing for me and cravings has been a very good vitamin supplement. Sometimes though, you just have to go get a TINY amount and allow yourself - everything in moderation right? The worse thing I can do is have it in the house. If I want something I have to go out and get it and that's when I have to control myself the most (since I don't have it in the house, lol).
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The worse thing I can do is have it in the house. If I want something I have to go out and get it and that's when I have to control myself the most (since I don't have it in the house, lol).

I think the most sugary thing I have in the house right now is Newton thins (which are delicious btw!) My husband, however, has oreos, oatmeal cream pies, etc etc. He's an evil man....
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    8 oz of Berry Blend Light by Tropicana (15 cals)
    8 oz of water (0 cals)
    1 packet of Great Value Blackberry Grape Powder drink mix (10 cals or something)
    3-4 ice cubes (0 cals)

Throw it in a blender, grind it up nice and pretty and BAM. Instant sugary goodness in only 25 cals. 16-18 oz total

This also works with just about any crystal light one. Try the Mango Tea one for a tropical burst.
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Snackwell's have 100 cal packs now and this time I tried the fudge creme brownie bites(150 cal) and they are good but even for me that I love sugar it's almost too sweet for me so after that I'm good. Alsom Breyer's smooth and dreamy dark choc velvet ice cream it is really rich.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    8 oz of water (0 cals)
    1 packet of Great Value Blackberry Grape Powder drink mix (10 cals or something)
    3-4 ice cubes (0 cals)

Throw it in a blender, grind it up nice and pretty and BAM. Instant sugary goodness in only 25 cals. 16-18 oz total

This also works with just about any crystal light one. Try the Mango Tea one for a tropical burst.

That sounds great! I think I would have to drink it later in the afternoon, even though it sounds good for breakfast. I think I'd be more likely to want more sugar if I had it in the morning.
  • summergirl46
    Options
    my mother always told me if you crave something have it and the craving will go away. If your body want something have it, it gets worse and you want more if you don't give your body what it wants..just think about when you were a kid and wanted something you wanted it more when you could not get it, same with your body, my thing is steam rice:smile: .
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    8 oz of water (0 cals)
    3-4 ice cubes (0 cals)

That sounds awesome I think I may try it.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm really craving something, I just eat it. I have a dark chocolate bar in the kitchen waiting for me, and a big box of strawberries
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I found a delicious gum. Extra Mint Chocolate Chip. Yummy.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have been working on eliminating that sort of craving also. I have found that my big sugar crash time is around 11am. I am preparing lunch for my dyacare children and i could eat everything in sight. So i added oatmeal to my breakfast and i'm sooo much fuller i'm not even tempted by most things i am making now. I eat a full lunch with lots of snacky veggies for the crunch i seem to need. I also have cut back on carbs a lot. I don't eat as much bread, and fibre1 or 100 calorie bars seem to just spike my sugar and crave more more more, not fill me up. I have been eating some kashi bars and some days i was doing ok, but now that i'm nearing the ToM (my worst sugar/carb craving time) i find nothing is helping the sweets craving. I gave in and had two mini york peppermint patties tonight and it really helped tonight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The worse thing I can do is have it in the house. If I want something I have to go out and get it and that's when I have to control myself the most (since I don't have it in the house, lol).

I think the most sugary thing I have in the house right now is Newton thins (which are delicious btw!) My husband, however, has oreos, oatmeal cream pies, etc etc. He's an evil man....

Try the method I described above. If it works you won't care if there's sugar in the house. I have yummy chocolate/peanut butter cake in the refrigerator, a couple sodas and some candy in the house. But I detoxed myself from refined sugar and I don't crave it, I don't have to eat it when it's around.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I also love sugar! It's the one area I am consistantly over on. I do eat a lot of fruit tho. Natural sugars are what I try to go for if I have a craving (strawberries, apples, etc.) But sometimes nothing does it like chocolate or ice cream (yum!). LOL...self-confessed sugar addict...
  • asuangel7
    Options
    I struggle with this too! I can go for awhile without sugar, but then if I am at a birthday party or social event and sugar is available, I overdo it. I really need to find a way to stop at the "moderation" point! One thing that has worked for me is to substitute certain things. I used to crave gummy bears a lot, but I have replaced that with dried fruit. Dried apricots and flavored Craisins are my favorites because they are sweet and pack a lot of nutrients. I find that I do not even crave gummies anymore! I did the same thing with chocolate - anytime I crave milk chocolate I'll try to have some 85% cacao chocolate or some Silk Milk Chocolate Lite. This has helped greatly. My next challenge is to replace goodies like pastries, cupcakes, fruit tarts, cheesecake, etc. or to learn to control my portions better. If more is available, I want to eat it until it is gone! I hope this post helps, and I will be glad to hear any advice you have for the portion control issue I have!
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I tried the Rosedale Diet I cut all starchy carbs and all sugar, including any items with sugar added (it's EVERYWHERE! I found a veggie soup once that had 15 g of sugar in it!) I was jittery for about 36 hours and then I completely stopped craving it. I replaced starchy carbs and sugar with protein and healthy fat and veggies and I felt fantastic and even though I had been a total sugar addict I stopped craving sugar at all.

That is kind of drastic though. I try to live that lifestyle now, but I've let some carbs back in since I am training for a triathlon.

I would suggest eating something like 5 or 6 almonds. Healthy fat. I roast them myself and sprinkle with a little cinnamon or nutmeg and it reminds me of chai tea.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've found that having apple cider vinegar helps my cravings...I went off it for a while and my carving came back so now I'm back on....I have half a teaspoon in juice.....
  • asuangel7
    Options
    Wow, MFP really works! This was my first post (above) and there's already 2 people replying since then. I love it! :-)

Cutting out ALL sugars...hmmm I think that would be great but not so sure I have the will power!

Adding apple cider vinegar to juice - hadn't heard of that before, but it's definitely worth a try!

Thank you ladies!! :flowerforyou:
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    DO NOT CUT OUT ALL YOUR SUGAR IF YOU ENJOY EATING SUGAR. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO KEEP THIS KIND OF DIET UP FOR LONG TERM IF YOU DO NOT ENJOY THE FOOD YOU EAT.

Seriously, what kind of sense does this make?

Hey guys! I REALLY REALLY enjoy X food. I'm going to NEVER eat X food again! That makes sense! I'll keep this up for the next 50 years of my life and have constant cravings but I'll ignore it because that also makes a lot of sense! This will lead me to binge eating when I'm in unfamiliar territory and surrounded by the food I've been craving for months and months!

This place is ridiculous sometimes. Guess what. I ate an ENTIRE PINT of Ben and Jerry's ice cream today. It was 880 calories. Tomorrow I will wake up and I will be lighter than I was today. <GASP> But RangerSteve....you....you ate sugar! Yes I did, and I enjoyed every last minute of it.

If you people really want to suffer for the rest of your life and punish yourself with cutting out foods you enjoy then be my guest but don't give this terrible advice to other people.
  • joannec2011
    Options
    In my case, the more I eat the more I want so be careful.

I munch on Kellogs crunch nut cereal... does the trick for me. At one time I was so addicted I gained 30lbs, I had to go through a process to get my ph in balance because the cravings were so bad. It's addicting and it's toxic so fight it, you will beat it.