Best Exercise advice I've received:

Options
Here are five articles that I have found immensely helpful and informative in my daily life, exercise regimes and weigh-loss goals.

1. The total body workout:
http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/
- This workout routine is for guys and girls and changed my whole body. Everyone should try it for a month. You *Will* see dramatic results. And ladies, you will NOT pack on muscle and turn into she-hulk because you've picked up a weight you max out on after 10-12 reps. PUT DOWN THOSE 5lb weights!! You're doing yourself a disservice!

2. Weighing the Evidence on Exercise:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html?_r=1&ref=exercise

3. Exercise before Breakfast:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/?src=me&ref=general

4. The best exercise:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17exercise-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=homepage&src=me

5. Exercise vs. Weight loss:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/phys-ed-why-doesnt-exercise-lead-to-weight-loss/

Best of luck to you all! Stick with it - remember, you're in control!

Raphael

Replies

• CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Bump
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump to look at after work
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    bump
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump;)
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article yet but I disagree with the comment about put down the 5lbs weight, because I have had numerous people tell me that it is better to do more reps, but lighter weights!
  • chevysarah
    chevysarah Posts: 188
    Options
    bumpin to check out later! :)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have put on some mass, but nothing hulk-like or overly intimidating. I cannot stand to lift a light weight like 80 times. Literally. I use to have that mentality and would do like 80 bicep curls, and triceps blah blah. You know what? Took forever and sucked.

I don't go super heavy but lets say I bench 80/90(with bar weight included) and press the bar at 45 etc etc. Honestly if you round out the entire workout and don't have an overcompensating muscle, take steroids or any of that you should benefit greatly. When you also add in a low body fat percentage it's insane. AND being strong is awesome. Lol. It's basics. If you do biceps, do tris, and shoulders are what give you that indent on the top of the arm, and back to stabilize. Cant ignore and you cannot humiliate your muscles with 2.5/5lbs of multiple reps. Just can't. Not for my anyway.

JMO, not everyone elses.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ok this article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/phys-ed-why-doesnt-exercise-lead-to-weight-loss/ is upsetting me, because it's saying that "afterburn" doesn't exist and basically saying you shouldn't eat back any exercise calories...?!
    But I don't know if that takes into account the deficit MFP automatically puts in.
  • Nonvictus
    Options
    @ candlesbythebaytc: Yes, indeed! But, you also want to feel fatigued at the end of your "higher rep" session. If you can do, say, 5-6 more reps after your "lighter weight" exercise set, you're weights are too light! Find something where you're last rep. (12-15) is HARD. You'll only start "bulking up" if you do exercises where you max out after 5 repetitions. And only after you've been doing them for a LONG time. Trust me, if it was that easy to get huge, you'd never see a "scrawny" guy. It takes A LOT of work to "bulk up" - but only smart weight choices and reps to get stronger and build good muscles - those "tone" muscles!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Nonvictus
    Options
    @agdeierl - I feel your pain! When I read that article, it made me a little sad, but put things into perspective for me. Just because I lift, doesn't mean I can eat a few more snacks and justify it because of "afterburn". But, the really important take-away that I got out of it was adjusting your workouts to meet your desired outcome: fat loss! The other important message (which is also reiterated in another article I posted) - the KEY to losing weight is watching what you eat. The key to maintaining weight, positivity and a health lifestyle is exercise!

And - the more you exercise, the more you can eat! I like the reward of being able to eat bacon after a 30 mile bike ride and be totally guilt free (from a calorie perspective).
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Interesting articles to read. Your #1 is my favorite article. VERY, VERY similar to a book I cannot recommend enough for people:

"The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler - there's a men's book too.

Lift like a man, look like a goddess! - Lou Schuler :flowerforyou:

Also further reaffirmed my goals for H.I.T., (or HIIT). Thanks for sharing!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ok this article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/phys-ed-why-doesnt-exercise-lead-to-weight-loss/ is upsetting me, because it's saying that "afterburn" doesn't exist and basically saying you shouldn't eat back any exercise calories...?!
    But I don't know if that takes into account the deficit MFP automatically puts in.

Well, after reading the article, here's why they came to that conclusion:

"Each of Melanson’s subjects spent 24 quiet hours in the calorimeter, followed later by another 24 hours that included an hourlong bout of stationary bicycling. The cycling was deliberately performed at a relatively easy intensity (about 55 percent of each person’s predetermined aerobic capacity). It is well known physiologically that, while high-intensity exercise demands mostly carbohydrate calories (since carbohydrates can quickly reach the bloodstream and, from there, laboring muscles), low-intensity exercise prompts the body to burn at least some stored fat. All of the subjects ate three meals a day."

Nice of them to utilize proven, effective methods like strength training and HIIT, each of which have DOZENS of scientific studies backing up the claim that not only are they effective at burning calories after exercise, but almost each study utilized low-intensity cardio in the control group. What a bunch of hacks.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article yet but I disagree with the comment about put down the 5lbs weight, because I have had numerous people tell me that it is better to do more reps, but lighter weights!

Numerous people aren't always right. Check out research articles and form your own conclusions.

Also, wanted to add that women do not have the testosterone of men to bulk like men. Women body builders eat a VERY STRICT diet and train very, very hard with very, very, very heavy weights.

I agree with what others have said - I encourage you to ditch the "Barbie weights" and pick up men's weights. It will make you sexy, muscular, strong and have that hot bikini bod!

If you find that we are wrong and you "bulk up" you can always go back to the Barbie weights and wait for your too huge guns to atrophy to their small, former selves....

(Not trying to poke fun at anyone - stole "Barbie weights" terminology from Lou Schuler's book - The New Rules of Lifting for Women)
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump

(for later!) :o)
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    bump..