does anyone know about liquid fasts/detoxes?

Options
i don't have a juicer so that's a little hindering, but i finally found some 100% cranberry juice from trader joes so i think i'm going to do a cranberry juice detox for a week or so. how long should a person generally stay on a liquid diet to experience real detoxifying effects? i'm googling it now but i f anyone here has some first-hand knowledge of liquid fasting i'd love some tips/info.

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think you should do unless under a doctor's supervision for more than a day. I have done a pure liquid diet before (however, it was protein type shakes, not just fruits/veggies so even more complete), but it was under a direct doctor supervision with blood test each week for liver function ect, and a doctors exam for heart issues, etc.

I just don't think it's healthy to do a pure juice base diet for one, you will be getting very little protein --- especially with all fruit juice --- and very high sugar. I'd research a lot more before you go this route.
  • kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think you should do unless under a doctor's supervision for more than a day. I have done a pure liquid diet before (however, it was protein type shakes, not just fruits/veggies so even more complete), but it was under a direct doctor supervision with blood test each week for liver function ect, and a doctors exam for heart issues, etc.

I just don't think it's healthy to do a pure juice base diet for one, you will be getting very little protein --- especially with all fruit juice --- and very high sugar. I'd research a lot more before you go this route.

What she said! Please please PLEASE consult with your doctor before you start anything like this! Good luck. =)
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Omg sounds bad, I do a cleanse every 3 months with shakeology but its nutrient rich and is not a true cleanse. It just gives u a kick start to clean eating while your body naturally cleanses on its own. If u want some info message me, or pick up an issue of 'O' magazine there is a 10 page article in it about shakeology. Anything that reccomend calories restriction for more than three days will only cause harm to the body not to mention the effects on tie metabolism. Be careful and I hope u change your mind.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    fasting really isn't bad! it flushes out dead/damaged/diseased cells, rids your body of stored up toxins, redirects energy from digestion to the immune system. it can be a wonderful thing to do. i've done a few short fasts and i feel so wonderful afterwards. my digestion sucks and i always feel so lethargic and bogged down whenever i eat food (any food) so i really appreciate giving my digestive system a break once in a while. i'm interested in doing a longer fast but i don't know enough about it yet to jump right in.