Wild game.

Options
Any hunters out there know a reliable site to get nutritional value on wild game??? I am looking at dove, wild hog and venison??? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• treetz1979
    treetz1979 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Tagging on to this....i am hunter myself and cannot find much that's very dependable. This site has some venison nutritional info but that's about it.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Great question. I don't eat game often, but do occasionally as my dad and brothers are avid hunters. I'm not sure anywhere would be reliable since there is such a difference in how wild animals eat. I've noticed a huge difference in the fat content for example in wild venison and duck. I'll be interested in the responses you get.

(as an aside, I eat almost all "white package meat" and non-carton eggs otherwise known as farm raised by my family and/or neighbors -- there is such a difference in this and commercial, it's hard to really know nutrition info so I go ball park and call it good)
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The USDA database has quite a few entries - I tried searching for "game" and "dove" and got hits:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ted Nugent probably has a site ... lol ... :)

Anyway, yeah I noticed MFP really isn't great for some of that ... hard to find accurate numbers ... I've just found the best info googling it ... then add it to your foods so you'll have it for future reference.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I will try the USDA- I have been using mfp for my eggs and beef and hogs- we raise chickens, cattle and hogs - but we also shoot wild sows ( they are nusances on the farms) and dove (also nusances) and the occasional deer- elk ect. I know my beef and hogs have less fat- but again not sure how to exactly count so use what is here. thanks for all the help!