what is YOUR resting heart rate?

Options
Mine is around 44 beats per minute... i am curious where others are at
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, mine is MUCH higher than that. Due to some meds and other factors. That's why I have such a hard time exercising! Went to the doctor today and was sitting at 100 bpm!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Holy Cats that's low. Have you had that checked? I'm @ 66.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Before I started P90X it was around 57 BPM average sitting down or lying down...I suspect it might be slightly lower now...

44 is slooooooooowwwwww!! Are you a hibernating she-bear cub?
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    44? Are you alive!? Heh, mine is 50 - 52.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    low equals healthy... mine goes between 51-71 depending. which is between athletic and healthy... yours is sathletic! good job!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    When truly resting it runs in the low 50's...just now it was 51 BPM...
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Wow.. 44 is really, really low. Mine is about 60, BP usually 102/58 -- I blame it on the hypothyroidism.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been high even at 120 pounds. I'm around 80 now. High heart rate runs in the family.
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    whenever i hook up my HRM, usually in the AM, it's around 66: )
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Mine was 33-37, before my pacemaker. Now it's 58.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Mine's in the low 50's.

A lower resting heart rate is a sign that your heart beats more efficiently. When I worked with our college gymnastics team a lot of their resting rates were in the high 40's.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How do u track yours?? I'm at 47, I'm guessing u are pretty active and have been for a while. Kudos:)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually about 60. It can fluctuate between 55-65, though.:bigsmile:
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am considered athletic with a BMI of 21%. My sitting heart rate is 45 beats per minute. I would imagine my true resting heart rate is much lower, considering every time I go into the hospital the night nurse has to wake me to make sure I'm alive and check my pulse two or three times just to find it. No problems with my ticker though. It's extremely healthy.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    :laugh: yes i am most certainly alive and hmm at the moment i am semi-hibernating (under a pile of blankets on the couch).. I do cardio work fairly regularly but not every day... but yes, in decent cardio shape but NOT an elite athlete! (if only!!).

My heart rate used to be semi low (low 60s) but i sort of just tuned in to it the other day (first time in way over a year since i have measured RESTING heart rate) and it was in the low 40s... i figued i MUST be doing something wrong so i had my husband count. He got the same number. I just counted again and its still coming out to 44ish.

My husband -- a self-admitted hypochondriac-- thinks i need to go to the doctor. I say i am in good condition for once in my life, and my heart is healthy. He reminds me that most of my family is dead. Ulgh. I was hoping a bunch of MFPeeps would say that have low heart rates as well so i could say seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :tongue:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Haha. Good thing I just finished working out and still have my HRM on. Mine's 46 bpm.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    I average 46-47.
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what do all of you with low rhr's do to get your heart rate up during exercise? Since I've been running more, I notice that my heart rate doesn't get going nearly as much as it used to and I wonder if I'm getting as good of a workout in, even though I'm going further and faster than before. I'm timing my rhr at 54 bpm sitting here and got the same thing the other day. My treadmill hrm (which I don't think is very accurate) never shows my mhr at much over 130 anymore. Is that a bad thing?
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what do all of you with low rhr's do to get your heart rate up during exercise? Since I've been running more, I notice that my heart rate doesn't get going nearly as much as it used to and I wonder if I'm getting as good of a workout in, even though I'm going further and faster than before. I'm timing my rhr at 54 bpm sitting here and got the same thing the other day. My treadmill hrm (which I don't think is very accurate) never shows my mhr at much over 130 anymore. Is that a bad thing?

No, I doubt your treadmill is even near what your real heart rate is. I'm young (16-years-old), so most of the time I'm able to get my heart up in the 170s or 180s when I workout... while, let's say, the trainer on P90X videos is in his 40s and only able to get his heart rate up to the 160s. So, it really depends on your age. I believe as you get older, your maximum heart rate drops. You can google a maximum heart rate calculator. It's based on estimates, so it's not 100% accurate, but you'll get what I'm saying. (My max. HR is in the 200s). Anyways, the higher your maximum heart rate, the higher 55% to 85% of your heart rate is. That's where most trainers suggest that you stay while working out. Anyways, it's not really your fault. You can be giving it your all and still not have the same heart rate as somebody younger or older.

And, yeah, you'll find that as you progress as a certain exercise, it gets harder to keep your heart rate up. I used to do a lot of walk-at-home videos in the 160s and 170s. Now, I have to work twice as hard to stay in the 150s.
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Resting is 42-44 .. which has dropped in the last few months (yay!) .. resting used to be 46. But I'm lucky to have a healthy heart, even when I was much heavier than I am now ( a good 60lbs more then my current 129 on a 5'2" frame, it was still only at 50 even then.