Anyone losing weight after having a baby?

Options
Hi everyone :)

I have a beautiful new baby daughter at home and I am very eager to start losing the pregnancy weight, plus the 70 pounds I had to lose before I got pregnant ;) I know it'll be slow and steady but I hope to lose 100 pounds by her first birthday, a lofty goal but I think achievable with some hard word and good motivation!

I don't want to be the slow, tired and worn down mom who can't muster the energy to play with her kids (I also have a 5 year old and a 3 year old), and I don't want to be a frumpy and insecure wife, so I know that losing this weight will be very liberating for me!

Anyone in the same boat?

I'm exclusively nursing so hopefully that will help, I've heard it does for some but not all.

Maybe we can use this thread to keep one another motivated?

Katie

Replies

• lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There is a post-partum group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/131954-postnatal-group-march-2011?page=3

This is one of the older threads but I know it is still going! Good luck!!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Does it count if your baby is 7? :laugh: Good for you for starting now!!!
  • starrieeyedkat
    Options
    Oh yeah. I have two over here. I had my son in the fall of 08, I was a bit overweight before that. Last spring I started to knuckle down and lose weight, and lost abou15 lbs when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter! She was born in December and now I'm working to lost over 50 lbs that have accumulated in the last 5 years. I nursed for a while but it didn't last, and now dieting is easier to w/out worrying about compromising my milk, but it does help burn calories!

Totally hear you on not wanting to be the frumpy, insecure wife. I used to have a figure that I LOVED and now I'm embarrassed to have my picture taken and I hate not feeling attractive.

So far this site has been awesome, it's helping me keep myself accountable for how much I'm eating and doing, and the members are really nice and helpful motivators. Feel free to friend me. :)
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old and have lost 41 pounds on my way to losing 60-70 pounds!! I pump and bottle feed exclusively. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other along the way!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    good luck-- Nursing helped me lose a lot of weight after my girls--then the boy-- well still trying to lose (ps he is 21) but in seriousness- there are several postpartum threads. Enjoy that new angel
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    U can do it! I had 3 and lost it all:)
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Hello...My baby is 4 /2 months old and I also have a 5 1/2 yr old too. I found this site a month ago and need to lose the baby weight plus 40 I gained from marriage and 1st pregnancy!!! I lost 20lbs on my own...(baby and water most likely !!!!:) ) and lost 4lbs in 4weeks starting here. Slow and steady but we can do this!!!

Stacey
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    Mine's 19 months old, but count me in. I was really sick during my pregnancy and went a bit nuts postpartum on a "I can eat real food again!" binge. Which came back to bite me in the *kitten*. Hard. I've lost some of the damage, but am probably about 15-20 pounds away from where I was before baby.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't cut calories too much as it can negatively affect your milk. 100 pounds in a year is possible, but it might not be entirely realistic. Keep your goal where it is, sometimes having a high goal can help you stay motivated. But, don't be upset with yourself if you don't reach it. It can be hard for most people to maintain a 2 pound per week loss, especially when you have a new baby to enjoy.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Great, looks like I am in good company!

When I met my husband I was a comfortable size 12, since I'm 5'11" I carried that really well, I slowly have gained over the past 9 years to the point where I don't think he even remembers how thin and healthy I used to be, and that makes me sad. I would really like to get close to that weight again, though I doubt I'll ever see those exact numbers again, I'll feel so much more healthy and happy and proud, and that will be great for my family and my marriage as well as for my self esteem which has become pretty deflated over the years.

Looking forward to cheering everyone on in their endeavors!

Katie
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i am, my youngest is almost 3 and i'm just getting around to it now....

i've lost 13kg of my 20kg of baby weight, and intend on getting back to pre baby weight by the end of the year.... and once i get there, i'm going to keep working towards, back when i was single, fit and self absorbed weight....
  • gretahausen
    Options
    I'm here trying to lose my ''baby fat'' as well. I never lost a single pound of fat from breast feeding any of my children (I have 3), but luckily, I didn't gain any other than what I gained during pregnancy. I am hoping to dump 40 lbs this year. (that is the same weight as my son....jeez....)
  • Betheroo
    Betheroo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of four and still working on losing the baby weight (though my baby is 17 months now). I exclusively breastfed all of the kids for more than six months and I kept breastfeeding all of them well past a year, but the only time I easily lost weight was when I was breastfeeding two at once (So much for the oft-quoted wisdom that breastfeeding makes a huge difference in weight-loss. I guess everyone is different!). So far I've been really encouraged by the friends I've found on MFP. It's really helped to get out there and ask for advice/encouragement, so good for you for posting! Feel free to friend me (I'm a nurse, too!).
  • TahanyE
    TahanyE Posts: 83
    Options
    Hi Katie! We are in the same boat as ya know lol. I actually weigh what I did when I got married. I told hubby that pregnancy is a great diet plan for me. With Azalia I lost 10 lbs from prepregnancy weight just having her. Then with Talisyn I am now 15 lbs less than I was right before finding out I was pregnant. I am pumping but not frequently enough (trying to increase the # of times I pump a day but its hard). Ive found that Im eating less than before I was pregnant too. And hitting this point of being the same weight I was when we got married has really made me motivated. Im feeling good about myself and really want to reach my goals. Hubby said if I lose another 10lbs he will buy me a new outfit :P Im the same weight as him for the first time in years. Its nice to not weigh 20lbs more than him! Since S is the same age as Talisyn & we both have a similar ultimate goals Id love to be a motivational partner... especially since we know eachother outside of MFP ;)
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Well, my daughter will be 1 in 2 weeks if that counts lol. I'm one of those that nursing has actually made weight loss harder for, but I've lost half the baby weight so far. We'll start introducing whole milk soon and I'm hoping getting down to 1-2 nursing sessions will help me start losing faster. I've had all kind of supply issues since working out and have had to take weeks off here and there to ensure I don't dry up! Welcome :)
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    So in 5 weeks I have only lost 4bs...frustrating! As big as I am this should just melt off!! Please anyone read my diary and give me some tips, suggestions! I am ready to quit!

Stacey