Struggling to eat enough calories - please help

Options
So I've been doing really well exercising and eating healthy, but I am really struggling with eating enough calories. I really am just not hungry by the end of the day - especially after I do my workouts which are usually around 7 PM when I get home. I know I need to eat after my work outs - but I feel guilty because it's late and I'll be in bed in 2 hours plus I really am not hungry. So on average, I'm getting in about 1000 calories with food, then working off anywhere from 250-400 leaving me with a net of 600-800 cals a day. Obviously not nearly enough. I am really afraid I'm going to hit a plateau soon, especially because I'm already not too overweight, just unhappy with how I look. Any suggestions on foods that are healthy, but high calorie? Or any suggestions at all! I really don't want to hit a plateau. I also don't have any problems with my energy level - I get everything I need to get done each day - so I really don't know if it's harming my body to only get 600-800 calories on average?

Thanks for listening/reading and any help would be really really appreciated!

Replies

• DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Had same problem, but I am eating more step by step. Feel free to add me. I started of 800 calorie a couple of days ago now I can eat even 1600 cal :))
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Try an avacado. It's healthy but high in calories. Might be just the thing after workout
  • dgclip1981
    Options
    Almonds are probably a good choice as well.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    wish I had that problem! I can barley stay below my maintance calories @ 1960 a day. Good thing I workout otherwise I'd probably gain weight!
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons of Jif Peanut Butter clocks in at 190 cals...quick and easy.
    Throw it on some whole wheat bread and you got a 290 cal snack.

24 almonds are about 160 cals...another quick and easy boost.
  • 2001alott
    Options
    i understand completely....im having a hard time myself.....having a hard time even getting 1200 calories in a day...just not hungry, but i know i need to eat to give my body fuel...lol....you are not alone... :)
  • NabzStar
    NabzStar Posts: 13
    Options
    I read in another thread that a girl suggested to eat a protein bar, I may do that as well, I find myself not eating enough too!

Edit: I'd look into this a little more though, the avacodo's and almonds sound like a better choice!
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Without knowing how you are getting your calories it's tough to say, but maybe eat more earlier in the day. I eat 6 meals a day, about every 2.5-3 hrs. How about Protein shakes? Almonds?
  • happymommy2010
    Options
    i am also having the same problem. Today was better, but I am still under by 600.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    cheeseburger, ice cream, even a hot dog...those are high calorie and should fill your void.:tongue:
  • mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    haha love it! if only they didn't go straight to my lovely love handles!
  • gardea
    gardea Posts: 75
    Options
    I have been having the same problem. Today, I ate a bigger breakfast, which I never ever do. It helped tremendously. I had a bowl of instant oatmeal, a banana, and 3 tbs of nuts. At lunch I added carrotts and pinapple to my whole wheat sandwich. Today is the first day I did good on eating back my calories. Eat more calories first meal of the day and a little bigger lunch. I have only been doing this for a little over a week. It is nice to finally figure out what I've been doing wrong.
  • mrk1day
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I think I actually might look into protein shakes - I am just afraid they taste awful, haha. It would be good for me though because I don't take in nearly enough protein. Any suggestions on decent tasting protein shakes?
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Maybe load on the calories earlier in the day? Another idea might be to keep post workout protein snacks in your gym back or locker. I have a bottle of protein shake (special K) and 1oz package of almonds in my locker. You can also get single serving packages of almond butter.
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm new, and having the same problem. I still had 1000 calories left tonight!! I think I'm doing
    too much on the elliptical, it burns a TON of calories!!! I don't want to not eat enough, but I feel
    guilty if I eat more..... sigh..... :(
  • jlav3
    jlav3 Posts: 17
    Options
    Protein bars or protein shakes are awesome. I have a smoothie that I make in the blender .. it's ice, a 1/2 cup of low fat yogert, a cup of skim milk and either a half a bananna or a cup of sliced strawberries. It's awesome after a workout and helps cool the body down. You can add calories by adding addl yogert or the remainder of the bananna. Another way you can add calories is to add flax seed oil to your shakes .. it's wonderful for brain function and attn focus and adds a little calories to a delicious shake or smoothie.
  • gardea
    gardea Posts: 75
    Options
    cheeseburger, ice cream, even a hot dog...those are high calorie and should fill your void.:tongue:

LMAO!!! Now why didn't I think of that!!!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i would go a handful of nuts and a shake or even a nesquick at night after your workout.... nuts are awesome for boosting calories as well as providing great nutrients.

i find the shakes taste ok if you have them with milk, they are ghastly with water!! erghhh
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nuts, peanut butter are all good at adding to calories.

2639362.png
  • mrk1day
    Options
    My problem with eating a lot in the morning is that I go into work at 6 AM and it's really a struggle to wake up early to force myself to make breakfast a priority - I usually just eat a fiberone bar on the go. Then I am seeing patients all day with no time to actually snack until my usual 15 mins for lunch and then back to the grind. I cannot wait to be able to make my own hours someday!