Smoking...

Options

Replies

• sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    ugh i really like those stupid smoke machines at the mall honestly but when i quit, i did it cold turkey.
    I still sort of smoke, i just only buy a pack on my birthday and during emergency like a break up lool.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    props to you! my best friend quit cold turkey when we were in college & took up knitting to keep her hands busy so she didn't gain weight from the oral fixation :o)
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in December of 2005. I went cold turkey...but it helped that I eulogized my last cigarette. That's right, I said good-bye to my friend and closed the chapter on an 11 year friendship. It also helped that I did breathing exercises whenever I craved a cigarette. Sometimes, I even used held a pen like I would a cigarette bringing it to my mouth as I inhaled during my breathing exercise. Hey...all I can say is it worked for me! :)
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Atta girl!!! My boss quit cold turkey when she found out she was pregnant with her 3rd baby... hasnt even thought of a cig since. You can do it!!!
  • jenh1101
    jenh1101 Posts: 45
    Options
    You can do it!!!
    I was never a heavy smoker (unless it was on those rare nites out at a bar) but when I decided to quit I cut 1 cigarette out every couple weeks. I was smoking around 6 a day, now I'm down to 3. I can definitely tell the difference when I'm working out.
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    (again, rumors of psychotic dreams)

Not just a rumour...I had terribly psychotic dreams - everyone always died in my dreams while I was taking chantix, and it did not matter what their name was, not to mention the flu like symptoms and crazy mood changes. Besides, I heard the FDA is about to ban it anyway for the side affects. I quit smoking twice cold turkey and, being a PTSD sufferer, I went back twice. I was using it as a crutch to deal with my anxiety and using my anxiety as an excuse to continue smoking. This last time, I did hypnosis. I had a couple of days of weaning from the nicotine, but overall I have not had the same issues that I had when I quit cold turkey. I know that a lot of people will say that hypnosis is "hooey" but, it worked for me and my husband both. The hypnosis didn't make the cravings go away, it just made them manageable so that I could say "no" and not have to battle myself, and now it's been almost a month and I think about smoking less and less. I have actually lost weight since I stopped smoking, and the only crankiness I have had in the last month...well let's just say I would have been cranky anyway, as most ladies can attest. Either way you go, best of luck to you. Part of living healthy is making tough choices like "quitting smoking", so you are to be commended for your effort :bigsmile:
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking was the best thing I have ever done for myself. If you want it bad enough, it might actually be easier than you think. I wanted it BAD. And don't give yourself permission to slip up. If you go into this saying to yourself "if I slip up, thats ok". you may not try hard enough. Quitting is quitting - slipping up over and over again is still smoking and keeping yourself re-addicted to the nicotine. I don't mean to sound harsh, but quitting smoking is hardcore, and it requires hardcore discipline, so have faith in yourself that you can turn your back on cigarrettes and not look back. Go in with a winning mentality.

I mean - its ok if you have a slip or two and get back at it and eventually quit for good. I just know too many people who say they quit smoking, then I seem them out smoking outside a bar, and they say "Yes, I quit smoking - now, I only smoke when I drink" and they drink several times a week. :/

I just quit cold turkey and I really felt like I made it at about the 3 month mark (3 months without slips, for me)

Its been 6 years, and I'll NEVER touch them again.
  • skinnyb450
    skinnyb450 Posts: 288
    Options
    I used Champix for 3 months - have given up for 1 year on the 12th May 2011 - Put on heaps of weight which is why I am here but only have 1kg to go and I am back to the weight I was before I quit - Its taken twelve months to get the weight off and then I have another 15 kg to go from pre-menopause

Good luck - if you want to give up you will succeed - You just have to be ready - You CAN do it - Gosh I smoked for 32 years - If I can give up ANYone can (lol)

Everyone is different - try all methods - one of them will work for you :) - Congrats on making the decision - that is the first step :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    I quit cold turkey when I recieved my college diploma... I had told myself that would be the day... and it was... a year and a half later I picked it up again for about 2 or 3 months... but then quit cold turkey again... been almost a year.
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!! You will feel so much better!!!!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have tried and failed many times, I wish you the best.

Losing weight has been so much easier for me. I dont lean on food for comfort, but I do cigarettes.
  • lidado
    lidado Posts: 41
    Options
    A big ol' Texas :heart:!!THANK YOU!!:heart: to everyone who gave me input, suggestions, advice, and encouragement. This is gonna be one hell of a journey, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right??!!?!?!

I will keep everyone updatede on my progress...

Lindsay
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and started when I was 8 ( Thanks to my older sisters). I have quit so many times and always started again, stress is my trigger. My husband has Emphysema and we are hoping he is able to walk my daughter down the isle at her wedding in Sept.
    I am trying to quite again too. My only advise is Just do it and pray.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I quit on May 22, 2009 after 34 years of smoking 2-4 packs per day. I quit cold turkey, no chemical aids.

Here is what worked for me:

1) Be ready. You have to be ready and determined to do it, no matter what. In my case, I wanted to be around to see my children grown, particularly my 3yr old daughter.

2) Set a date. I set mine a month in advance. Fixed and inflexible. Told EVERYONE that I was going to do it. Announced to the world!!! I joined here in preparation of becoming the new, fit, Stormie.

3) Arrange the date so that your schedule is NOT your normal one during that time frame. I took 2 days off and planned to quit then. I would not have to battle the routines that were automatically tied to smoking - breaks with friends, smoke after lunch, first cigarette on the front porch, etc.

4) Plan a project that involves focus and concentration. I decided to weave a bead choker on a loom, and the concentration on the tiny beads for hours, kept me from feeling at loose ends.

5) Get lots of harmless munchies and tools. I had gum, mints, fake cigarettes, toothpicks, celery sticks and baby carrots, hard candies, and pretzels all lined up for THE DAY.

6) The morning of THE DAY, throw away all leftover cigarettes, lighters, and ashtrays (dump in a bucket of water). Clean out your car and freshen it to smell good again. Remember, you are a non-smoker now :happy:

7) Fight with all of your willpower. My own mind was my worst enemy. I kept coming up with excuses why I could have a cigarette and arguing with myself why I didn't have to do this NOW. Do it tomorrow? Next month? After I lose 25 pounds? NO NO NO. NOW. Today. SHUT UP self!!! I told myself that I was stronger than some stupid friggin weed. No WAY was I gonna be controlled by something that insignificant!

8) Remember that after the first three days, most of the chemical cravings are gone. You'll still have to deal with the habit and the emotional attachments, but you won't feel the overwhelming NEED for a smoke anymore. THen, once you've made it past the first three days, you can keep telling yourself..no way in hades do I want to go through those three days again, so no...there will be NO just one cigarette for me!

9) Give yourself a small financial reward for quitting. Remember how much you are saving now, so let yourself go to a spa or get a pedicure or buy a new negligee set after a month or two of being smoke free. For me it was a gym membership and classes for my daughter (dance and swimming). Oh and a few smoke-free items of clothing!

10) Don't give up. If you can last just 1 more hour...1 more day...1 more week...before long, you'll be over it and feel great again!!

:flowerforyou:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I quit on May 22, 2009 after 34 years of smoking 2-4 packs per day. I quit cold turkey, no chemical aids.

1) Be ready. You have to be ready and determined to do it, no matter what. In my case, I wanted to be around to see my children grown, particularly my 3yr old daughter.

2) Set a date. I set mine a month in advance. Fixed and inflexible. Told EVERYONE that I was going to do it. Announced to the world!!! I joined here in preparation of becoming the new, fit, Stormie.

3) Arrange the date so that your schedule is NOT your normal one during that time frame. I took 2 days off and planned to quit then. I would not have to battle the routines that were automatically tied to smoking - breaks with friends, smoke after lunch, first cigarette on the front porch, etc.

4) Plan a project that involves focus and concentration. I decided to weave a bead choker on a loom, and the concentration on the tiny beads for hours, kept me from feeling at loose ends.

5) Get lots of harmless munchies and tools. I had gum, mints, fake cigarettes, toothpicks, celery sticks and baby carrots, hard candies, and pretzels all lined up for THE DAY.

6) The morning of THE DAY, throw away all leftover cigarettes, lighters, and ashtrays (dump in a bucket of water). Clean out your car and freshen it to smell good again. Remember, you are a non-smoker now :happy:

7) Fight with all of your willpower. My own mind was my worst enemy. I kept coming up with excuses why I could have a cigarette and arguing with myself why I didn't have to do this NOW. Do it tomorrow? Next month? After I lose 25 pounds? NO NO NO. NOW. Today. SHUT UP self!!! I told myself that I was stronger than some stupid friggin weed. No WAY was I gonna be controlled by something that insignificant!

8) Remember that after the first three days, most of the chemical cravings are gone. You'll still have to deal with the habit and the emotional attachments, but you won't feel the overwhelming NEED for a smoke anymore. THen, once you've made it past the first three days, you can keep telling yourself..no way in hades do I want to go through those three days again, so no...there will be NO just one cigarette for me!

9) Give yourself a small financial reward for quitting. Remember how much you are saving now, so let yourself go to a spa or get a pedicure or buy a new negligee set after a month or two of being smoke free. For me it was a gym membership and classes for my daughter (dance and swimming). Oh and a few smoke-free items of clothing!

10) Don't give up. If you can last just 1 more hour...1 more day...1 more week...before long, you'll be over it and feel great again!!

Great advise!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I quit on 12-10-10. I got sick the next day with bronchitis and just decided I wasn't picking them up anymore. The first 3 weeks will be hell, but after tha it gets a lot easier. After a month or so you'll realize your food never tasted so good.
  • kristenhay0
    Options
    Go to www.whyquit.com. You can spend hours reading stories, quitting tips, etc. Congratulations on deciding to quit and everyone is here to help!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I read "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking" and then quit cold turkey in Oct of 2009.

Never quit quitting when it comes to smoking. If you slip, just get right back to quitting.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 17 months ago, cold turkey. I had tried wellbutrin, the patch, the lozenge before....the only way I was successful at staying quit was making up my mind that this was it. I told myself that I would NOT enter my 30s as a smoker, so I planned on quitting on my 30th birthday. I think the thing that helped most was that night we get rid of all ash trays and gave any left over cigarettes from my last pack to my friend. My husband also quit with me on the same day, so that made it easier because we were going through it together. He used the patch and gradually stepped down. Very rarely now do I have the urge to smoke, and like someone else on this thread mentioned, it is THE best gift to yourself. My quitting helped faciliate my weight loss because I am more motivated and able to work out :-)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

This is great advice. Thank you!
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    I tried chewing gum, didn't work, champix, worked for 3 months, and patches, none lasted for long, although I loved the mental dreams with the patches, this only happened to me when I wore them all night, anyway, I have finally given up and believe this time for real 2 months now, the reason it works is I took up running and registered for a 5k run in the middle of May and had no choice if I wanted to do that. it's hard but you have to REALLY REALLY want to give up, have heathy snacks for the boredom and habit times.
    Good luck, it's a brilliant feeling, and, I save over £7 a day so over £49 a week and over £2,548 a year ;-)))