Struggling to eat enough calories - please help

Options
2»

Replies

• mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Protein bars or protein shakes are awesome. I have a smoothie that I make in the blender .. it's ice, a 1/2 cup of low fat yogert, a cup of skim milk and either a half a bananna or a cup of sliced strawberries. It's awesome after a workout and helps cool the body down. You can add calories by adding addl yogert or the remainder of the bananna. Another way you can add calories is to add flax seed oil to your shakes .. it's wonderful for brain function and attn focus and adds a little calories to a delicious shake or smoothie.

now that sounds delicious! thanks!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, trail mix (watch for sugar though), boiled eggs, whole yogurt... Avoid breads/grains and sugars if you're aiming for weight loss.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound contradictory to everything I've ever said, but who cares. Here goes anyway.

Personally, because you work out so late at night, I don't think you need to eat 'after' you work out, unless of course you are lifting super heavy weights or are doing more than one hour of intense cardio, like running. Otherwise, eat the majority of your calories throughout the day.

You've already been given some healthy choices by others before me. Here's a few more.

Start with a hearty breakfast like egg whites, whole wheat toast, fruit, a glass of 2% milk. Or try a fruit smoothie with added protein powder. Slow cooking oats, millet, quinoa, rice flakes, or amaranth make wonderful breakfast cereals. Add some fresh fruit, a dash of cinnamon, some ground flax or chia seeds, and agave nectar or stevia powder to sweeten.

Throughout the day snack on fruits and veggies with some type of nut butter, raw nuts & seeds, an ounce of your favorite cheese, or cottage cheese.

Have a yogurt with a tbsp of low-fat, low-sugar granola and some pumpkin & sesame seeds.

For lunch, have a large salad with hemp hearts, feta cheese, nuts & seeds or some type of meat or meat substitute (chicken, beef, fish, eggs, herbed tofu, edamame, beans, lentils). Eat with a whole grain wrap or low-fat whole grain crackers.

For dinner, eat whole grain pastas or pasta made from spelt, brown rice, or quinoa. Or eat brown & wild rice with beans or lentils and a garden salad.