Post workout food

Options
For the most part I have been working out in the evenings - usually starting somewhere between 8:30 and 10:00. Workouts are cardio only right now - Elliptical or stationary bike for 45 minutes to an hour.

When I get home, I find myself really hungry. Should I eat? And if so what?

Thanks

D

Feel free to friend me

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a "meal" with carbs and protein to help your body recover. I typically have meal with a ratio of 2:1 carbs vs protein.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    kjensen15 has a great idea! I always try to get some protein within 30 mins to help my muscles, and carbs within 2 hrs. Good luck, and great question!
  • rebeccalippett
    rebeccalippett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    After a heavy exercise session there is a magic window of about 90 minutes where any carbs you eat get stored as glycogen in the muscles to replace glycogen lost during your workout, rather than being laid down as fat. This is your body's way of preparing to fuel you for your next workout. Also you need to eat protein to help the muscles rebuild and repair after a workout. A snack high in protein and carbs is essential after a heavy session. My favourite post long run snack is a wholemeal bagel or oat cakes with peanut butter! Not too much though hey! :-)

Obviously this isn't necessary for more gentle exercise sessions.

Out of interest how come your workout is so late in the evening? Do you work late shifts or something? If not do you find that exercising that disrupts your ability to sleep at all?
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I used to ban myself from eating after 6pm but I've read recently that eating some carbs and protein after a workout are essential because otherwise you end up destroying muscle instead of building it or something.

So, if I go to the gym in the evening, I save enough calories from dinner to have an apple and a mini low fat cheese.

I wouldn't eat a full meal that late though, you'll feel gross and might end up gaining.
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with all of these replies. This is absolutely the BEST recovery product out there!! I love it after a workout, and it meets all of the requirements of protein and carbs. Helps to rebuild and repair. You can take it with you to the gym and just add cold water when you're done, or if I am coming straight home, I put it in the blender with some ice. Very refreshing and takes the edge off the hunger. If you are building, you use it again two hours later.

Would I steer you wrong? Read all of the details.

http://alifetimeoffitness.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku=20306
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    After I work out I usually eat a toasted whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter on it, and I find that it does the trick.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of protein powder, and one of benefibre in my blender ball, and take it with me. After the workout (at the gym), I add the water, shake it up... and drink it on my way home (or to class, etc). :smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk has been recommended by all the fitness and running coaches I've ever talked to - it apparently has the ideal balance of carbs and protein to rebuild and replenish after workouts.
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I was just thinking about this tonight after I got done working out and has 500 calories to burn...I went for peanut butter and celery, forgot how much I love peanut butter!
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    Chocolate milk has been recommended by all the fitness and running coaches I've ever talked to - it apparently has the ideal balance of carbs and protein to rebuild and replenish after workouts.

A dietician at work told me the same thing!
  • primaverapvr
    primaverapvr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to dairy, I wonder if chocolate soy or almond milk would be good??
  • jellybaby84
    Options

A dietician at work told me the same thing!

Ah! I was watching re runs of Supersize v Superskinny on youtube when I couldn't sleep last night and this tiny little marathon runner came in from her run, went to the fridge and got out chocolate yazoo milk. I thought that was a really odd choice to make but now all is clear!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Would it have to be a specific chocolate milk? Some of the ones i've looked at seem terrible with sugar and sweeteners and I can't bring myself to drink that just before bed! I'm over-complicating this aren't I? lol
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    I'm sure you can buy organic, natural type ones rather than the brightly coloured kiddy stuff. Or you could dissolve a bit of dark chocolate in milk yourself. Could have it hot which might be nicer before bed anyway.
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    When I was working days I would workout around 8pm and after eatting my last meal. I use accelerade during and after my workout to refuel. It is good and has the perfect carb to protein ratio. I will also take a protein shake b4 bed, that is about 2 hrs after my workout.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    /\
    I
    I
    I
    I

I love your profile pic!
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oh and my snack of choice is 3 high bake water biscuits (20 cals each) with no added sugar peanut butter spread on each one (89 cals per tablespoon!) yum yum yum!
  • LeeShirreffs
    LeeShirreffs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After work out i always have:

40g Protein shake
    1 banana
    Gatorade

I then have a meal around 1/1.5hrs after the above
    either:
    Steak
    Baked potato (nothing on it)
    1 cup of Broccoli

or

3 burgers
    1/2 cup of green beans

:smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Another chcolate milk fan here! I like the Alpro soy ones that come in little 250ml cartons - easy to transport, I alwyas have one in the car or my gym bag. Or the Yazoo lunch-box size ones. My only problem with choclate milk is it often comes in litre bottles, and I'm only going to drink a glass maybe 2-3 times a week.
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Another chocolate milk fan here and I thought it was only me! I put a spoonful of drinking chocolate in the blender with half fat milk. Helps with re-hydration too.